Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the release of the new Blur line, do you think that the old proven and tried single pivot designs are going to die??? :confused:

·
Tracking up the place
628 Posts
here to stay IMO

With the improvement of many shocks, Propedal, rp3, progressive and such, PUSH..The singlepivot should stay. I wonder what a blur feels like with a PRo pedal or rp3...But I m a superlight owner, and I love the simplicity, plus I don't read threads about Blur creaks all the time.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Nah.

BBW said:
With the release of the new Blur line, do you think that the old proven and tried single pivot designs are going to die??? :confused:
I originally thought that the Heckler was going to be discontinued when the new "long travel" Blur was on the drawing board. With that said, the new Blur is not a 6" bike as rumoured and also not as tough as the 5.6" travel Heckler. Vpp technology is a nice option for those who want it but the no frills Heckler gets up the hills just fine without the vpp and will last a lot longer.

The Heckler has proven that a sp bike can hang with the big boys and its overwhelming popularity is testamount to this. Versatility and simplicity make the Heckler too valuable to let go imo. With the Heckler you get a bike that you can use as a trailbike, xc, or freeride.

The Heckler is quite a bit cheaper than the Blur as well and this attracts many buyers.

·
Registered
294 Posts
given the nomads relative ugliness (it is going to have to ride really well to sell it to me) and given we have all been wating for a 6.5'' vpp for ages i think the bullit might undergo a bit of a revival - shame they dont anodise it though

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
The Single-Pivots should stick around, they're Price-Point bikes in SCB's lineup for those that don't want to drop the big jack on VPP but still get a killer ride.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Heckler will Stick around

MCF said:
with the Nomad coming out...is Heckler done?
I still think the Heckler will have a place with SC for a while. The Nomad seems like it is more of a freeride than a trailbike with 6.5" of travel which leaves the Heckler as as tough do everything bike that gets just under 6" of travel. Not to mention the Nomad is very ugly and with a choice of vpp products these days I would not, or will not be buying an eyesore of a bike.

The Heckler is still a marketable bike that is affordable and SC will probably still play on this.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
ronny said:
I still think the Heckler will have a place with SC for a while. The Nomad seems like it is more of a freeride than a trailbike with 6.5" of travel which leaves the Heckler as as tough do everything bike that gets just under 6" of travel. Not to mention the Nomad is very ugly and with a choice of vpp products these days I would not, or will not be buying an eyesore of a bike.

The Heckler is still a marketable bike that is affordable and SC will probably still play on this.
Dollars and cents. As long as the Heckler keeps selling well, SC will continue to make it.

·
Fashionably functional...
310 Posts
Heckler-Nation has enough happy citizens to keep SC building them for a long time. However, wasn't our beloved Heckler discontinued for a year or so???

·
Registered
887 Posts
From what I remember, the original Heckler was killed shortly after the Superlight came out as the Superlight was essentially the same thing in a much lighter package.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I love my Bullit even with just an old Vanilla RC. If I ever upgrade the shock, it'll be that much better. Sure the VPPs are more refined but you pay for that refinement. Increased maintenance and price. Besides that; just look at all the top level bike companies sponsoring top pros on single pivot bikes: Steve Peat - Orange bikes, Cedric Gracia - Cannondale, Greg Minaar - Honda, etc..... It's also preference. You now have options within the Santa Cruz line like never before.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Kerry - if/when you need to service your rear shock on your Bullit (or just want to spend some money on it), I highly recommend sending it to Push Industries for their full race treatment. I did that for my Bullit about a year ago and the results were amazing - minimal pedal induced bob and a bottomless feeling on big hits.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
just to echo what has been said... SC would be shooting themselves in the foot if they disconnued the single pivots... I, as a weekend warrior, a full time job and a liife outside MTB (if such a thing is possible) love to ease of maintenance of the Bullit and Heckler... I have a few friends with VPP bikes and they seem to require a lot more maintenance.

·
415 Posts
I was just thinking that the pivot on my 2001 santa cruz bullit has never been touched. I had the shock unbolted recently, it all moves fine and there's no slop. I can't imagine getting that length of service life out of a multi-pivot bike.

I'm actually pretty surprised by this - but one thing I never do is clean/hose my bike off - I just let the dirt dry up and fall off - perferably on the trail I'm riding. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
BillT said:
Kerry - if/when you need to service your rear shock on your Bullit (or just want to spend some money on it), I highly recommend sending it to Push Industries for their full race treatment. I did that for my Bullit about a year ago and the results were amazing - minimal pedal induced bob and a bottomless feeling on big hits.
I actually had it rebuilt with the big hit valving last year and it made a huge difference. I can now use all the adjustments without blowing the shock. Hence I now run the rebound about 4 clicks from full in and I can't believe the control that resulted from this. Not to mention the bob free climbing. Gotta love it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have seen a lot of FSR, VPP etc users going back to Bullits, because of the simpicity and ease of service. ie. I do not think it will die. (Look at Cannondale Prophets, Gemini, Orange bikes, etc.)

·
Registered
266 Posts
BBW said:
VPP will die long before single pivot.

The future of full suspension designs lies not in rear suspension but transmission/driveline technology. As soon as bike designers come up with a cost effective central transmission (Honda RN01, GT Gearbox) the benefits of VPP will be negated and the stiffer, lighter, less maintenance SP design will prevail.

Since this post is in the Santa Cruz forum I am assuming you meant "going to die" at Santa Cruz bicycles... Maybe. I don't know.

It certainly isn't going to die anywhere else though.

Rocky Mountain
Cannondale
Foes
Brooklyn
Orange
Honda

All top level SP designs.

The first two pics are GT, the last is BMW..

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.