Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last year I got the bug and bought a 2010 ex5 for like 500 bucks off. I paid 1000 plus I traded in a 4300 that they gave me 325 for. So I have been upgrading the ex5 with new parts. I replaced the fork with a Reba RLT Ti the wheels with Pure XCR and XCR hubs. I replace the front and rear D's and shifters to X9. SLX crank the rear cassette to a pg990. Everything including the bars and stem have beeen replaced. The only stock thing is the brakes and rear shock. Which I wont replace. I only had the money to purchase the bike then I save and replace things and then sell all the old stuff I take off. My question is was I stupid to upgrade the ex5 with all this stuff and now that I have is my bike pretty much the same as a ex8-9. Is the rear pivot the same and the frame the same on all the fuel bikes except for the head tube and through axles. I think I shaved close to 4 plus pounds off the ex5. But I still have heavy straitline pedals and a ks dropper post which I can't live without now. Thanks

·
Registered
328 Posts
The frame on this bike is the same as my EX9 with the exception of the E2 headtube and shock. Everything else is the same, so really when it comes down to it, how much money are you spending on the upgrades? I'm in the same boat, I started with an EX7, had a warranty issue and they replaced it with the EX9 frame with EX7 components, so gradually I am replacing them as I get the money... You and I will never be able build these up to the highend bikes without spending more money than if we would have bought the highend model off the floor in the first place. So, live with it like I am and love your bike! Don't kick yourself. Look at the learning experience, next time you go shopping for a bike, you'll know what you want up front!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
actually I am way under the price of the higher end models thats why I was upgrading.

1050 for the bike minus 325 I got for trade. = 725 for 2010 ex5 model
450 for Reba RLT Ti new minus 150 for old fork. = 300 for new 2010 reba fork
72 dollars for used slx crank perfect condition with 3 rings and bashgaurd
330 dollars for new wheels minus 140 for my old ranger wheels and cassette =190 for new wheels
80 for pg990 cassette
150 for front and rear D's x9 and x9 trigger shifters.

I am under 2 G's for this bike and as far as componets go I am right there with the 8/9 minus the shock and brakes

·
I hate that name.
1,643 Posts
Hotwhls said:
I am under 2 G's for this bike and I have as good of componets as an 8/9 minus the shock
Almost. Some people would say there's a noticeable difference between a Reba and a Fox.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
blunderbuss said:
Almost. Some people would say there's a noticeable difference between a Reba and a Fox.
I was actually talking about the rear shock. I have the rp2 the 8 has a better rear shock.

·
I hate that name.
1,643 Posts
Hotwhls said:
I was actually talking about the rear shock. I have the rp2 the 8 has a better rear shock.

I knew you were referring to the rear shock, I was just making an observation about the Reba you have vs the Foxes that come on the 8 or 9 in response to this part:

I have as good of componets as an 8/9
I'm just trying to make it clear that if you had spent the extra money for a Fox, you probably would have spent as much as if you had just gotten an EX8. Just saying. It's almost always more cost effective to just buy the bike you want.

·
At Work
1,806 Posts
Do you like how it rides?

That is all that matters, you have done pretty good on the upgrades by offsetting the cost.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sxr-racer said:
Do you like how it rides?

That is all that matters, you have done pretty good on the upgrades by offsetting the cost.
I like how it rides now with the reba and the new drivetrain. The orginal cost of that reba is close to 700 bucks so I didn't skimp out on a lower end model fork. Retail value of each fork reba vs fox the reba was more money, but since I got such a good deal on it I thought I would grab it. The reba that I got has alot more than a ex8 fork. Floodgate control remote lockout, dual air ect.. But like you said some like fox better and some like RockShox better its all preference
I just didn't know if the ex5 was worth upgrading to the extent I went. Is the rear pivot the same on both models. Mine says Magnesium but the content on the trek site just says alloy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds like a dope setup. I ride a 2010 EX5 and its the same frame as last year's EX7 or EX8. It's a great bike man... I think you hit the jackpot with the upgrades for so damn cheap. Overall, I think you have a bike comparable to this years higher end EX models.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts