Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I, Mudd
213 Posts
u2metoo said:
Desert Classic has new motto: "Desert Classic, where reflectors go to die.
That's pretty much what I was gonna say. A great way to trash up a trail is to take a bike with reflectors on the wheels on it. They'll break off and end up litering up the trail.

That's why you should remove them.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I never even put them on, they just go in the pile with the rest of them (free to anyone who wants them). One little FYI though; one of my co-workers got a ticket in Ahwatukee for not having a reflector mounted on his commuter bike even though he had lights (on the helmet and pack).

·
Salty Dog
366 Posts
If you ride at night on desert trails, the reflectors scare the Javelina and then they can't reproduce. It apparently blinds them to the point that they can no longer see their way to an erection.

We wouldn't want to have less Javelina on the trails, now would we?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Everytime I am on Desert Classic I see (and pack out) at least 1 of the yellow reflectors that come on the plastic platform pedals lying in the trail. I thought about keeping them and erecting a shrine of some sort, but they're pretty uninspiring.

·
i call it a kaiser blade
744 Posts
i build them from crap i bought off of the interwebs so no federal government nazi bike laws force me to put them on like the LBS has to.

·
Salty Dog
366 Posts
Ok then...

eat_dirt said:
i build them from crap i bought off of the interwebs so no federal government nazi bike laws force me to put them on like the LBS has to.
I've had my last four bikes (all upper end frames) built from scratch by LBS and none of them has had reflectors installed.

I'm just curious what Federal law you might be referring to that requires bikes to have reflectors.

·
i call it a kaiser blade
744 Posts
Salty Dog said:
I've had my last four bikes (all upper end frames) built from scratch by LBS and none of them has had reflectors installed.

I'm just curious what Federal law you might be referring to that requires bikes to have reflectors.
not bikes you GIVE for them to build from scratch but bikes they sell at the LBS.

every bike at an LBS has reflectors.

i once asked why that was, and the owner told me it was a federal law that all bikes sold needed to come with reflectors.

doesn't make sense, but i just spit it out to confuse people while i chat up their wives.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Salty Dog said:

There's no federal law (that I'm aware of) but at least in california, all new bikes for sale must come equipped w/ reflectors by law.
Maybe no requirements like that exist in AZ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.