Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't taken a daily multivitamin since I ate Flintstones as a kid, but lately have been thinking about adding one to my diet. I eat fairly healthy with a good variety of foods, so I don't think I am deficient anywhere. But I have been bumping up my miles lately and am wondering if a multivitamin would help with recovery, race performance and overall general health. I am a 35 year old male in good health, if that makes a difference.

Anyone have opinions for or against multivitamins?

·
Registered
783 Posts
I take them. Figure they can do no harm as you'll pee out the excess. Naturally if you're popping MULTIPLES of the USRDA then you might run into problems with the fat soluble vitamins. But sticking to reasonable amounts can't hurt.

I prefer taking natural vitamins from a reputable supplier using multiple smaller doses. The daily serving is 3 tables, which I space throughout the day. It's better to absorb them slowly over time than one huge dose which will pass through unused if you catch my drift.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I take one every day, but I just use the "cheap" Target brand women's multi-vitamin.

I'd read somewhere that the more expensive brands that have 200+% of the RDA aren't really necessary. The basic store brand seems to be pretty good at RDA, and nothing is more than 100%. I also take a calcium pill every day.

It's funny, I think I have a pretty healthy diet, but just entering what I eat on fitday.com and looking at whether or not I meet the RDA of stuff, I fall short on quite a few vitamins/minerals (this doesn't count my daily vitamin, btw). I eat some whole grains, fruit and veggies throughtout the day, etc., but still fall short on certain things.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
go to www.mypyramid.gov and try the tracking system to find out how you do over the period of a day or even several. This will roughly help you identify shortcomings. Keep in mind that things like bread and cereals are often heavily fortified. I now live in a VERY polluted part of the world (Korea) and should probably be taking extra C as an antioxident. However, I found that, with a fairly good diet, half of a 100% MVI is all that is needed to exceed the RDIs. Salt was one place I was way over the top for. Moving to Korea has only made that worse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.