Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
2,548 Posts
mtnlyon said:
I miss those things. Any suggestions? Are those LP's any good?
Yup - still using my old Control Tech Stix Lite I's that I've had for many years, now (I cut them down to be even "stubbier" than stock - straight and basically as long as my hand is wide.....I feel "naked" on a bike w/o barends:eek:

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Wouldn't Leave Home Without...

Em. I am one of those terribly unfshionable souls who rides with barends (Control Tech Stumpy Stix) on my Moots riser bar. Love the ability to have multiple positions. If the terrain is not super twisty or rooty, i tend to be on the ends. I just find it to be the most comfortable position. I have a set of Jones H-Bars on my SS and while I really like them, I'm not sure after a few months on them that I prefer them to the Moots Riser/Stumpy combo. They were a very generous gift from the wife though, so they are not likely to go anywhere. The only reason I have heard that makes sense not to use them is "that they just don't work for someone." you'll still see lots of posts that give me the impression people are choosing not to use them because it has become uncool to do so. Kinda ranks up there in my opinion (the key here) with 'there's no reason for barends with riser bars' again, to which i answer 'there is if its more comfortable for me.

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
I can't even think about riding without them

I know I just use them so much I think riding without them would be weird. Then again, I ride a flat, narrow bar rather htan a wide riser.

I ride LP carbon and I like the fit. The one thing I don't like about this style though (the bar ends pretty much just stick straight out with a slight curve at the end) is how much they catch brush on narrow trails. For years, I rode Answer Hyperends and they wrapped around my hand creating a bit of a brush guard. I rarely got pulled when weeds would get stuck. Now, I regularly am pulled to one side or another but it's just something to get used to.

I've taken numerous crashes and the carbon bar ends have heldup very well. there's a few nicks but nothing serious.

YR

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
mtnlyon said:
I continue to fondle LP bar ends on both of my bikes. The newer "ergo" version look cooler, but I don't really differentiate while I'm riding. They both feel great in hand, and I'll take the carbon fiber over aluminum any time, but especially on colder days.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
mtnlyon said:
I have the old style Onza bar ends. They kind of resemble these: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=14321&subcategory_ID=5252

I don't use them a whole lot for climbing but around here they are great as hand and finger protectors. The trees are very tight and many times you have about 2 inches of clearance on each side. I don't like to slow down a lot to get through and sometimes those things save my hands...

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Yes

Use intregrated bar/barends exclusively since my first mtn bike (it came with them), mostly Scott AT2-LF but Zoom Brahmas and carbon Klein stratium(?) have been in the mix. All eBay items now a days

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yep

I fell in line and became a fashion zombie when I went to a riser bar (which I love) and pulled off my bar ends. I missed them. The riser offfered leverage in-line with the bar ends but I REALLY missed the extra hand positions afforded by the ends. I put them back on.

I currently use Mountain Goat granola bar ends on my classic Klein - the most uncomfortable looking BUT most comfortable feeling things ever! Really cool CNC work and rare as all heck.

On my new rides, I have used the LP ends - confortable and tough (to impact)as a plus - easily scratched as a minus. And also the Ritchey WCS shorties.

I also just bought a set of brand-new Control Tech stubbie carbon bar ends to go on a carbon riser - awesome. Short so they don't snag stuff, but really comfortable. They're molded with a thumb-rest on the front instead or rounded which makes em perfectly grippy. Nice and light and don't alert the fashion police as they are smaller and blend-in with carbon bars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am also not very fashionable. I have a set of the LP Composites Braids Jr. on my riser handlebars. They were a bit more expensive than a lot of other barends, but I like them. I couldn't imagine riding without barends. My wrists really thank me for the extra hand positions.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Are those the Shorter...

I'm using bar ends on two of my rides, a Singletrack Solutions ST-Pro - cheap, light and a Titec Micros. I like my barends on the minimalist side...[/QUOTE]

of the Singletrack Barends? The Pros appear from the website to be shortter, with less material 'behind' the bar and more of a cruve. I would think these would work better with the sweep of most risers than the ST-Lites.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I use the Supergo house brand ones, which are just straight with the dimple for thumb placement.

No complaints. They get the job done.

We bar end riders are becoming an endangered species ;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.