Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what others do. I typically have 1 finger on the brake lever at all times, even while jumping. You guuys do the same, or use a full grip when jumping?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Tarekith said:
Just curious what others do. I typically have 1 finger on the brake lever at all times, even while jumping. You guuys do the same, or use a full grip when jumping?
depends, if I'm hitt'n a tight rythym section I'll cover both levers with two fingers. On the other hand if its a gnarley big jump I usually just hang on for the ride. If you like to adjust the attitude of the big in mid flight it may be handy to keep the rear brake covered..

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Changing your hand position for anything is a bad habit. I know that for DJ you rarely need any brakes at all but if you take fingers off the brakes you are not going to be able to translate your DJ practice to sketchier trail jumps and such when you need your brakes right before or after a jump. Also if you are two fingering your brakes, at all, ever, you really ought to examine the way your brakes are set up or consider getting different brakes. There are a lot of great brakes out there. I ride Hope M4s myself and even on "Ride, Don't Slide" at Whistler I had perfect control with one finger on each brake. However, it may not be your brakes that are the problem, maybe your fingers are not quite strong enough.

·
high school loser
1,313 Posts
i ride with my fingers on the brake when racing or DHing, but when jumping i dont.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I cant really say that I think about it when I do it. I could cover, I could not. It's not something that goes through my mind when riding.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
well i just grip n rip ...... especialy if im unshure im gona commit... then you can't hit the breaks and your commited to the jump so you hafta come through. :D oh i cover the breaks ocasionaly when im following some one so i don't run over them if they crash.

·
Registered
484 Posts
If I am comfortable with the jump I put one finger on the brakes, but if I am scared to hit something I take my fingers off the brakes so I can't back out. Stupid courage!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.