Votes: 46 85.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 14.8%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
a.k.a. Yeti Ken
112 Posts
Yes.

Here are a couple of videos I've taken in the past few weeks. Conditions have been better (and more fun) now that we've gotten additional snow, but I haven't had the camera on the last few rides.

Christmas Eve ride. Not much snow, but frozen pretty solid.

This video was shot just as the new years 4-day snowstorm started. I rode the same trails at night a few days ago and the post-storm conditions were awesome. Needless to say, I didn't have the camera on the night ride.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did a fall riding gear topic a while back, so I have fall gear but no winter.

Whats the recommended gear for some serious winter riding? Are studded tires a real must have? Good cheap set?

·
sans shifters
18 Posts
i just got a set of nokian gaza extremes for $78 from jensen. might find them cheaper somewhere else, but lots of sites have them for more. this is my first winter in maine, but i have always ridden the winters in new jersey. layers are the way to go. i like zippers so you can easily regulate the heat retention. i also use heavy shoe covers. they suck for traction, but i'm not going crazy with snow and ice. the maunfacturers of the stud tires recommend a 30 mile road ride to seat the studs, so figure on that also if you have yet to get a set.

·
tag007
98 Posts
Tire Chains

Riding in the winter is great. I go about once a week. I didn't want to pop for the expense of studded tires so I did some research on chains and came up with this for about $15 per tire and a little elbow grease.

Attachments

·
tag007
98 Posts
There are plenty of directions online if you Google "mountain bike tire chains".

Basically:

Tools required: Two sets of heavy duty pliers or lineman's pliers

1.) Deflate tires to 5 lbs or so
2.) Assemble two chain loops that are snug around the circumference of the deflated tires
3.) Set these loops just inside the outer knobs
4.) Assemble cross links
5.) Attach the cross links
6.) Inflate tire

The pliers are to open and close the links as you're building the assembly.

The whole procedure took about three hours per tire.

I'm working on the front tire right now. I wanted to do a test on the rear tire to make sure this worked. There's no slippage and the chains stay tight. I've gone on two 8 mile rides at Fort Rock and been quite impressed. Works phenomenally on the ice and hard packed snow, not so good on loose snow, but the Rock is gonna be packed pretty good all winter so we're good on that. I didn't weight them, but if that's a concern of yours I suggest building up the quads a bit more before you try winter riding as it requires a bit more effort anyways.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Knarly !

tag007 said:
Riding in the winter is great. I go about once a week. I didn't want to pop for the expense of studded tires so I did some research on chains and came up with this for about $15 per tire and a little elbow grease.
Thats badass man,defintely not a weight wennie item.

·
Premium Member
7,759 Posts
In the right conditions, there's nothing better...a hard packed, banked by snowmachines trail feels like riding a roller coaster. And everything feels faster on ice and snow even if your computer says otherwise. If you get enough freezing rain and then cold weather, you can get a thick enough crust over multiple feet of snow to just go off trail thru the trees - very cool. I have 1 homemade studded tire & 1 commercial (Nokian extreme). Both are great traction on hardpack or ice; neither work great in deep snow, the "motor" maxes out. Currently getting most miles in commuting on dirt & road with plenty of ice & snow, lotsa fun too, & feels great.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mtbxplorer said:
In the right conditions, there's nothing better...a hard packed, banked by snowmachines trail feels like riding a roller coaster. And everything feels faster on ice and snow even if your computer says otherwise. If you get enough freezing rain and then cold weather, you can get a thick enough crust over multiple feet of snow to just go off trail thru the trees - very cool. I have 1 homemade studded tire & 1 commercial (Nokian extreme). Both are great traction on hardpack or ice; neither work great in deep snow, the "motor" maxes out. Currently getting most miles in commuting on dirt & road with plenty of ice & snow, lotsa fun too, & feels great.
How did you stud your tires?

I was looking at this http://www.morcmtb.org/wiki/index.php/Tire_studding and it looked pretty interesting. I can get 2 new tires for less than the cost of 1 snow tire. I dont know how much it would cost me to get hundreds of sheet metal screws.

My Other option if doing a chain, but most of the how to's I find seem like a real PITA. I like the idea of the chains but I want to be able to remove them easily for changing a flat if needed.

Tag007 do you know about how much chain you used? I would be doing 2.1 inch Panaracers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.