Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
commute

bonker said:
I work in IT, and need to know how you guys get your work clothes to work without wrinkling, or with as few as possible.

Thanks!
I roll the clothes up and put them in my backpack.
When it is cool out I wear my blouse and jacket biking

I am in IT too, isn't it great!

sometimes I walk to work and lay in a supppply of clothes....

oh my commute is now 1.2 miles in the woods.
It used to be 7.5 on a rail trail till my company moved...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,136 Posts
commute by bike, no way

mbrmegan said:
I roll the clothes up and put them in my backpack.
When it is cool out I wear my blouse and jacket biking

I am in IT too, isn't it great!

sometimes I walk to work and lay in a supppply of clothes....

oh my commute is now 1.2 miles in the woods.
It used to be 7.5 on a rail trail till my company moved...
I don't dare to commute on bike. There is no shower at work. I will stink in high heaven. Are you in IT field mbrMegan ? What's your speciality? What do you think of IT market now? is there demand for security specialist ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my area of the country, there is a pretty good demand for security specs, if you're good. Wal-Mart corporate headquarters, as well as several large shipping companies are all headquartered here in the region.

Picard said:
I don't dare to commute on bike. There is no shower at work. I will stink in high heaven. Are you in IT field mbrMegan ? What's your speciality? What do you think of IT market now? is there demand for security specialist ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
It

Picard said:
I don't dare to commute on bike. There is no shower at work. I will stink in high heaven. Are you in IT field mbrMegan ? What's your speciality? What do you think of IT market now? is there demand for security specialist ?
I am in IT in NJ for a very large company.
I evaluate new technologies. I also am the one to figure it out. Maning helpdesk level 1-4 had their crack at it and failed.
The best part of my job involves integrating compnaies that we buy (a few a year) computer systems into our systems. This involves travel :) to the company, hiring a team to help with the inventory of the systems. Then we bring the info back and analyze the data and prepare to integrate their systems - interesting work...

the IT market. I don't think it is particularly good. 2 years ago we outsourced our helpdesk 1-3 and many of my friends got the boot. The market is better today then back then but outsourcing and sending jobs overseas has hurt IT.

security specialist? That should be in strong demand. That group never gets hit with layoffs etc at least here.

Microsoft OS is so full of holes my coworker spent a whole day last week just preparing the latest patchs for deploymnet

Bike material - last year with the 7.5 rail trail commute the company had showers...and I needed it. now i barely get a sweat and i'm at work - all downhill to work all uphill home
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
I aways found rolling clothes up to be better than folding. At one point I remember seeing this back pack for motorcycle riders that had tubes to roll clothes around and boards for shirts and what not. I just try and fold it in a way that the crease either won't show or is in a good place then roll it up loosely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Commute any 0ld time

Picard said:
I don't dare to commute on bike. There is no shower at work. I will stink in high heaven. Are you in IT field mbrMegan ? What's your speciality? What do you think of IT market now? is there demand for security specialist ?
Don't worry about the sweat during the commute. Just pick up a slim pack of baby wipes. Yeah, sounds funny but you "towel" off with those and you smell fine, are clean and got your ride in. Allow a few minutes between stop pedaling and towelling off so your body slows down the sweating process.

Once I get my stuff together here from the recent relocation I plan on commuting ~17miles each way. Tho I am looking for a shortcut of two ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,136 Posts
help desk role ?

mbrmegan said:
I am in IT in NJ for a very large company.
I evaluate new technologies. I also am the one to figure it out. Maning helpdesk level 1-4 had their crack at it and failed.
The best part of my job involves integrating compnaies that we buy (a few a year) computer systems into our systems. This involves travel :) to the company, hiring a team to help with the inventory of the systems. Then we bring the info back and analyze the data and prepare to integrate their systems - interesting work...

the IT market. I don't think it is particularly good. 2 years ago we outsourced our helpdesk 1-3 and many of my friends got the boot. The market is better today then back then but outsourcing and sending jobs overseas has hurt IT.

security specialist? That should be in strong demand. That group never gets hit with layoffs etc at least here.

Microsoft OS is so full of holes my coworker spent a whole day last week just preparing the latest patchs for deploymnet

Bike material - last year with the 7.5 rail trail commute the company had showers...and I needed it. now i barely get a sweat and i'm at work - all downhill to work all uphill home
It is tough market in Canada. Alot of IT people got layoff. senior people don't get hire at all. I got laid off too 6months already. I went to many interview and they told me I was over qualifiy. I intend to specialized in security . I ddi help desk for 3yrs. That's enough for me. I troubleshoot wireless network, email, exchange server. I was so stresss out that I develope strange blisters over my face. My face turn red. blood pressure gone high. My doc said I have to cool down. Do you support user on site or strictly over the phone ??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,136 Posts
employers accept bike to work ??

mr_tornado_head said:
Don't worry about the sweat during the commute. Just pick up a slim pack of baby wipes. Yeah, sounds funny but you "towel" off with those and you smell fine, are clean and got your ride in. Allow a few minutes between stop pedaling and towelling off so your body slows down the sweating process.

Once I get my stuff together here from the recent relocation I plan on commuting ~17miles each way. Tho I am looking for a shortcut of two ;)
Hey tornado, How do you lock your bike at work? I have an expensive bike. I don't want to leave it outside the building. Does your employer allow you to bring it indoor to your office? Do most US employers receptive to employees riding bike to work ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
i just baught a bike on ebay to ride to work and also ride anywhere else i can.

im work in transportation and there was a dresscode but i have them eating out of the palm of my hand and me wearing shorts and a t shirt is now ok lol

im also gonna be bringing my bike inside and setting it right next to ole nance(my trusty cannon copy machine) lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Bike lockup

Picard said:
Hey tornado, How do you lock your bike at work? I have an expensive bike. I don't want to leave it outside the building. Does your employer allow you to bring it indoor to your office? Do most US employers receptive to employees riding bike to work ?
Most US employers are clueless as to why anyone would want to ride their bike to work. I have been fortunate in being able to use a storage room or some other out-of-the-way place. I have had to lock up outside, and then I try to put it near large box trucks or vans, or under the back porch.

If you wan to use big heavy locks, just leave the locks at work around the post or whatever you're using - then you don't have to haul it around. I, too, used to ride a decent investment. Now I've built up around an old Trek 400 frame. It needs repainted and bikes with fenders, while entirely useful, look "dorky." SO I've tried to make it not stand out. I also purchased an old Specialized HardRock to commute on, for the same purposes.

- tornado :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,136 Posts
mr_tornado_head said:
Don't worry about the sweat during the commute. Just pick up a slim pack of baby wipes. Yeah, sounds funny but you "towel" off with those and you smell fine, are clean and got your ride in. Allow a few minutes between stop pedaling and towelling off so your body slows down the sweating process.

Once I get my stuff together here from the recent relocation I plan on commuting ~17miles each way. Tho I am looking for a shortcut of two ;)
You make it sound so easy using baby wipes. What happen if a lady passby and see your behind :eek: She might call security to spank you for indecent exposure :) Seriously man, it takes too much time to use baby wipes. You would be using up 20 min valuable time. I can use that time for a snack. I always eat snack just before work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Picard said:
You make it sound so easy using baby wipes. What happen if a lady passby and see your behind :eek: She might call security to spank you for indecent exposure :) Seriously man, it takes too much time to use baby wipes. You would be using up 20 min valuable time. I can use that time for a snack. I always eat snack just before work.
Well, like anyhting, once you get a system down it's no big deal. I just do it as part of changing (in the restroom stall). Just leave a little earlier or, if you work in a cubicle by yourself all's good. Maybe at the least keep some deodorant at work. I used to keep a "trial" size at work with the baby wipes, stashed away.

And if your co-workes find out, so what? They'd rather have you stink? :eek:
Like guilt, shame only works if you let it.

mr tornado head
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Forgot - you don't really want to wear you sweaty clothes all day. Especially shorts. Tight sweaty shorts all day can lead to some nasty stuff. the trick is, where can you hang your bike clothes to air out while you work. Sometimes you can find a corner os a storeroom or something, sometimes ya gotta be creative.

mr tornado head
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
support

Picard said:
It is tough market in Canada. Alot of IT people got layoff. senior people don't get hire at all. I got laid off too 6months already. I went to many interview and they told me I was over qualifiy. I intend to specialized in security . I ddi help desk for 3yrs. That's enough for me. I troubleshoot wireless network, email, exchange server. I was so stresss out that I develope strange blisters over my face. My face turn red. blood pressure gone high. My doc said I have to cool down. Do you support user on site or strictly over the phone ??
I almost never provide support anymore.
If I do it is usually to a technician in the field, rarely the end user unless he's King of the World - then I get involved.
before that I was in division support, I would go to the person's desk.
Good luck in your job search
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,136 Posts
My friend rode his Trek 100 to work once and brought it into his office. The management nearly had epileptic seisure when they saw the bike. They want him to remove from building. He didn't want to lock it in basement since it is too expensive. Most management in north america are not bike friendly at all. It is too bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
I used to ride to work... I, too, rolled my clothes in my backpack. I worked in a cubicle next to the server room. Server room made a nice place to put the bike. Stuck it in a corner and only about a dozen people in the area had any access to the room. For keeping my riding clothes funk-free... I put a line under my desk and hung my clothes up in the corner under my desk. Most people never even knew it was there unless they saw me crawl under there at the day's beginning/end to take care of my laundry.

I did the baby wipe thing, too. Worked well. I just occupied the handicapped stall every morning and evening so I had room to maneuver and did my thing. Had changing and freshening up down to a 5 minute science. I ride the bike in, walked it into the elevator, up a couple stories, then into the server room. By the time the bike was stashed, I was done sweating and could easily take care of hygeine in the bathroom.

My boss gave me hell ONCE for riding my bike to work... first day. I explained that I could either ride my bike or call in because my car was dead. Living in Detroit, there's _NO_ public transportation so riding a bus was out of the question, too. When he saw that I was EARLY to work (instead of 15-30 minutes late like normal)... He was pleased. He did laugh his ass off the first time it started to POUR late afternoon. I just shrugged and left. Few minutes later, I was thoroughly soaked and loving it. I waved when I passed him in his car as he was stuck in traffic. :D

Ok. I'm done.
 

·
mad scientist
Joined
·
67 Posts
I'm one of the lucky ones...

My CEO has several bikes along with one of our VP's. Both are avid riders. We have a "team" of about 20-30 people that do the MS rides together plus some local racing.

Our facility has showers, and lockers, so when I want to ride in, I bring clothes in for the next day. Not only do we have a bike lock-up, it is in a small, seperate building that has limited keycard access. I have no concerns about putting my new Airborne in there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,136 Posts
KonaMan said:
My CEO has several bikes along with one of our VP's. Both are avid riders. We have a "team" of about 20-30 people that do the MS rides together plus some local racing.

Our facility has showers, and lockers, so when I want to ride in, I bring clothes in for the next day. Not only do we have a bike lock-up, it is in a small, seperate building that has limited keycard access. I have no concerns about putting my new Airborne in there.
It is very rare occurence for CEO or senior management ride bike to work. Most CEO are overweight and ready to drop dead any day.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top