Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The nearest real MTB trails are 5 miles (and 700 ft of climbing) away. Takes about 30 min on my gravel bike. I've never ridden there on my fat bike, but it would add a fair bit of extra time (versus the gravel bike) and effort. I also don't know how much it would wear out the tires. Driving there takes 9 minutes.

Do you ride on the street or to the trails with your fat bike? How do you like it? Does it destroy tires fast?

·
Rippin da fAt
11,943 Posts
A few miles of tarmac with my fatbike has had little effect on the tires. Not only does it do that, it does give a warmup prior to the trail ride. Effort is minimal since the bike is very enjoyable.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Riding to the trail seemed to wear down my Jumbo Jim's a bit faster when I rode about 2 miles to the TH, but it had a bigger impact on wearing down my studs during the winter. Since I was not a fan of running lower pressure on the road I would air up before I left the house and then air down at the TH so I only had the ride back on lower pressure. I hate to say it, but now I just throw it in the truck and drive there and use that as an excuse to make up the mileage difference on the trail =)

·
Registered
235 Posts
90% of the time I ride 2 miles each way to my local trails. It is the perfect warm up and cool down. I haven't noticed any significant tire wear on either bike.

I drive in extreme cold or weather, where I have concern that if I'm freezing, walking or staying exposed to cold even longer could be a problem. Night riding is a mix; I'll drive if solo.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The nearest real MTB trails are 5 miles (and 700 ft of climbing) away. Takes about 30 min on my gravel bike. I've never ridden there on my fat bike, but it would add a fair bit of extra time (versus the gravel bike) and effort. I also don't know how much it would wear out the tires. Driving there takes 9 minutes.

Do you ride on the street or to the trails with your fat bike? How do you like it? Does it destroy tires fast?
If its 5miles/700ft/30min, versus 9minutes of driving, I would do the 30min ride.
It takes at least 10minutes to load up the bike and kit to the car, drive 9minutes, park, and another 5minutes to unload the bike and kit up. Then repeat the 10minute loadup and unload at the end.
I would rather ride for 30min and begin my fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.