Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it just finished raining here, but i want to go riding
the guy at the bike shop told me not to ride in the rain, but i don't know if he was being serious or just like you know, trying to be funny.

got a cannondale f7 and specialized rockhopper, both stock. can i go in the mud with these?

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
There are a lot of variables. Not riding in the rain is a good rule when the ground is saturated or is the type that gets sticky when wet. You can do a lot of trail damage and pack a lot of clay on your bike, setting yourself up for a lot of cleaning and shortening the life of affected parts.

If the rain is just a little mist or drizzle and you have sandy or dusty conditions, maybe it just tamps things down a bit. Or maybe you are riding in good tree cover and there is enough leaf litter or duff on the trails that things aren't soggy.

·
I4NI
1,222 Posts
Trail damage? Please explain? In my neck of the woods we share trails with dirtbikes. Nothing can be worst than riding in a 3ft deep rut about 30yds long with wet roots running across when its raining. When I can get the time to ride, I ride.

·
Granny Gear Guru
399 Posts
I used to ride all the time in the rain in Northern Michigan. Now that I'm in the south I don't think I would do it, the soil is a lot different.

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
yes...you can ride in the rain....especially if where you're from rains all the time...

if you notice you're leaving ruts....and your rig is covered in impenetrable clay then don't ride there in the rain....

rocky is OK...rooty is OK (scary, but OK)....sandy is OK....

use common sense...

·
Rogue Warrior&Anarchist
244 Posts
S_Trek said:
Trail damage? Please explain? In my neck of the woods we share trails with dirtbikes. Nothing can be worst (worse) than riding in a 3ft deep rut about 30yds long with wet roots running across when its raining. When I can get the time to ride, I ride.
In this rare case where the trails are already torn up from other motorized users, I'd say go for it at the peril of your components.

But at other bike/hike only trails it is not advisable to ride wet or muddy trails. This is because when the trail drys, the rut still remain and make it dangerous and takes the fun out of the trail. Go out on a couple trail days at some normal bike parks and put some hours in maintaining and repairing the trails. Only then will people have more respect for the dirt which makes our sport so much fun.

·
Terrain Sculptor
4,692 Posts
S_Trek said:
Trail damage? Please explain? In my neck of the woods we share trails with dirtbikes. Nothing can be worst than riding in a 3ft deep rut about 30yds long with wet roots running across when its raining. When I can get the time to ride, I ride.
You should understand that all over the world there are people who spend hundreds and thousands of unpaid volunteer hours building mountain bike specific trails. These trails are a labor of love for most of these people. It's very hard work and the trails are carefully crafted to give other people a really enjoyable riding experience.

A lot of these trails are not meant to be ridden when they are wet. The ruts and other damage mean that someone will have to go back out and spend many more hours fixing the damage caused by some inconsiderate or just uneducated mountain bike rider.

If you're riding on dirt bike or quad trails or on old fire roads, most mountain bike trail builders won't care if you ride in the rain.

When people in these forums tell you not to ride in the rain, they usually mean "Be aware if your riding is causing damage to the trails, and if it is, DON'T DO IT!"

You'll find people who will tell you it's OK to ride anywhere in any conditions. They probably don't spend much time working on trails.

I've had people say things like "It's just a few ruts, whats the big deal?". Imagine how you'd feel if I dug a few ruts in your front lawn with my truck after you'd spent all spring getting it just right.

·
Anything Rough and Rocky
52 Posts
Yes, me and my ride buddies do ride rain or shine, once a ride is planned, no rain can stop us .... unless its a freakin storm.
Not on man made trails but dirt roads and back roads where lots of roughs and obstacles a nature can give to a mountain biker.

·
Anything Rough and Rocky
52 Posts
thats2odd said:
I just wish it would rain here in Arizona!:D The dust is killing my Ride! :eek:
Oh that sucks, hot and dusty, i bet its irritatiing to ride around with that.

·
TRANCER
2,786 Posts
Some people spend thousands on their bikes as well. And when they live in an area where it rains most of the year or/and is too cold the rest of the year. In these cases I say ride on.

·
Rogue Warrior&Anarchist
244 Posts
Biohazard74 said:
Some people spend thousands on their bikes as well. And when they live in an area where it rains most of the year or/and is too cold the rest of the year. In these cases I say ride on.
Well, we'll just let them tear up those trails since nobody works on them or respects them. He never said what part of the country he's in so I know not to go there. But most likely, the trails aren't worth riding anyway with the other motorized users also tearing them up.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Trail Ninja said:
You should understand that all over the world there are people who....
Granted.
You should also realise that all over the world there are trails that are not damaged by riding when wet. Or at the very least, any small ruts that may appear will disappear in a few days.

You need to be aware of the conditions where you ride. I hear there are places where skidding on the trail will make half the hill disappear next time it rains :eekster:

·
Go SOLAR...
1,077 Posts
rmanla said:
i always wonder about this. I watch vids of whistler and i see people riding in wet conditions. Is it because of the type of trails they ride? more rocks and roots? never been there.
Whistler is a wet area to begin with...what guys are talking about is in areas that are mainly ridden by bikers...it's just a respect thing for other riders and the folks who maintain the trails. Nothing worse than riding in rutted up single track that is normally smooth and fast. It takes a long time for the ruts to return to normal...especially in clay type soils.

Like was said use common sense.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.