Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If one were replacing a Truvative Isoflow with a Deore LX Hollowtech II, would they really have to buy the park tools? Is there any other way to do this without the exact tools made to fit these exact interfaces? Like would an adjustable spanner with multiple site bit heads on it get the splined BB out of the Truvative? It sure looks like it would fit but have you tried non-specific tools for this sort of stuff?

Thanks

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
They don't have to be Park, if your only going to use the tools once or twice you could get something like Sette, Nashbar, or Spin Doctor tools for cheaper. But your going to be hard pressed using a spanner to remove the Isoflow BB...your more likely to strip the splines which will then cost you way more to get the BB removed then just buying the tools.

Of course there is always the option of simply paying a bike shop to do the work, then you don't need any tools.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Even though I like to do maintenance myself, I recently paid a shop to put my cranks on. The reason being that my old cranks were ISIS and I didn't want to buy the ISIS tool to use only once. LBS labor is also pretty cheap where I live.

·
Registered
695 Posts
adept1 said:
Even though I like to do maintenance myself, I recently paid a shop to put my cranks on. The reason being that my old cranks were ISIS and I didn't want to buy the ISIS tool to use only once. LBS labor is also pretty cheap where I live.
Have a machine shop buddy bore out the one you have and it will then do both.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Molly55 said:
If one were replacing a Truvative Isoflow with a Deore LX Hollowtech II, would they really have to buy the park tools? Is there any other way to do this without the exact tools made to fit these exact interfaces? Like would an adjustable spanner with multiple site bit heads on it get the splined BB out of the Truvative? It sure looks like it would fit but have you tried non-specific tools for this sort of stuff?

Thanks
I'm not familiar with what multiple site bit heads are, can you provide an example? I googled and got nothing that explained what that might be. Who would use such tools? Just curious, me, I just get the specific bike tool I need.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
I'm not familiar with what multiple site bit heads are, can you provide an example? I googled and got nothing that explained what that might be. Who would use such tools? Just curious, me, I just get the specific bike tool I need.
It has a handle and flat round head with a cam in the middle connected to three bit holders that protrude out from the flat face of it, 120 degrees apart. You turn the cam and the heads all move in or out at once, giving you three teeth spaced evenly in a circle with an unlimited diameter. You place which bits you want to mate up to the thing you are trying to grip and turn. Mine is quite hefty, but smaller ones are used to remove the backs of watches and special security caps on haz-mat containers. I feel certain that it would work, but would possibly damage the tool (probably not the BB) so I will buy the right ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.