Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
10,000,000 Watts
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m curious to see with what user group y’all enjoy your emtb with. Most of my ride time is solo, if group ride it will be with mtb friends. Oh, and does your ride pace change? I tend to ride faster solo.

·
E-Moderator
1,004 Posts
I ride just about every day. On the weekends is my social riding, sometimes with other emtbs and those ride are fricken fast and furious and painful. I’ve gone on a shop rides with me as the only ebike and somehow we all got along great, at least 10 other riders. Other times with my brother or my old group riding, again only me on an ebike.

When climbing with MTBs, my bike is in a low ECO mode and I just cruise, making sure I just barely stay ahead of the lead group or in the middle of the pack..

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Allmost retired week days i ride with mosquitos.
Than it becomes a bad habit.
Occasionaly i am not alone but in experts i am not fast, i just started doing them so who cares if i slow down occasionaly, i admire nature. :cool:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Once again, I just attended a large fly in, in Montana this time, with my Montague ebike conversion of course. Once again, every one but me was stuck at the airport, while I was able to explore the area, get a sit down lunch at an air conditioned cafe, a cold beer at the end of the day, etc. I ride alone except for every week or so, when I ride with two or three other ebikers, all who have ridden pre ebike bikes for decades prior, now on ebikes.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I mostly ride my emtb solo, although lately another riding buddy got one and I've been riding with him more. The approach to how to use the battery varies wildly.

Riding by myself I tend to conserve the battery and use it to "take the edge off" climbs, and probably don't climb all that much faster than I would on a non-e bike. Basically I'm still trying to get a bit of a workout, save some time, conserve more of my (human) energy for the downhills, and make the battery last so I can cover large distances. My riding buddy on the other hand is one of the "use all the power to go as fast as you can all the time" set. The motor definitely gets more a workout when we ride together.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I mostly ride my emtb solo, although lately another riding buddy got one and I've been riding with him more. The approach to how to use the battery varies wildly.

Riding by myself I tend to conserve the battery and use it to "take the edge off" climbs, and probably don't climb all that much faster than I would on a non-e bike. Basically I'm still trying to get a bit of a workout, save some time, conserve more of my (human) energy for the downhills, and make the battery last so I can cover large distances. My riding buddy on the other hand is one of the "use all the power to go as fast as you can all the time" set. The motor definitely gets more a workout when we ride together.
Ya an Ebike is a tool. We have options. I pedal to the trails and back so at times i try to exceed the assist(here 32kmh) also i do more climbing out of the saddle.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Once again, I just attended a large fly in, in Montana this time, with my Montague ebike conversion of course. Once again, every one but me was stuck at the airport, while I was able to explore the area, get a sit down lunch at an air conditioned cafe, a cold beer at the end of the day, etc. I ride alone except for every week or so, when I ride with two or three other ebikers, all who have ridden pre ebike bikes for decades prior, now on ebikes.
The first mountain bike I ever saw was a Stumpjumper, a gift to Rod Snider from his son. Rod used to strap it to the skids of a Boise Cascade helicopter when he flew out to logging camps for deliveries. He was also a private jet pilot and beloved by wilderness firefighters; he had saved about 20 firefighters from a burning ridge top using a Bell helicopter when he was with Johnson Flying Service in Missoula. He learned to fly helicopters before the Vietnam war had trained many helicopter pilots. I knew Rod from hang gliding in Boise in the early 1980's when he was with Boise Cascade.

A folding eBike or mountain bike makes a lot of sense in an aircraft.

I mostly ride alone on my eBike because I got too old and slow to ride with others, except for the occasional ride with co-workers curious about the sport or occasionally with my daughter. Also, I've always preferred to ride at my own pace - with the eBike that's different because the pace is switch-selectable.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts

One bike is a ride, two bikes is a race.

·
Registered
167 Posts
100% of the time solo. Whether it's on a regular or e-bike. Sometimes I wish I had a partner, you know, someone to call 911 if something goes wrong!

I'd probably take more chances and try more difficult trails if I had someone watching my back. I don't have a family, so often no one knows I've gone biking and no one will call anyone if I don't return.

I'm self employed, so I generally go mid-day, when everyone else is at work. Summer heat has changed that to some late evening rides. I see a lot more riders in the late evening.

·
Registered
98 Posts
One bike is a ride, two bikes is a race.
I ride by myself 75% of the time and I'm careful. The minute I'm riding with friends my motocross background kicks in and it's off to the races. I had a pretty spectacular high-speed downhill crash today trying to drop my friend on a downhill. I'm the one who got dropped LOL. There's going to be a few weeks of pain now to remind me of my foolishness.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
100% of the time solo. Whether it's on a regular or e-bike. Sometimes I wish I had a partner, you know, someone to call 911 if something goes wrong!

I'd probably take more chances and try more difficult trails if I had someone watching my back. I don't have a family, so often no one knows I've gone biking and no one will call anyone if I don't return.

I'm self employed, so I generally go mid-day, when everyone else is at work. Summer heat has changed that to some late evening rides. I see a lot more riders in the late evening.
Maybe with a dog you could train for rescue? Like you i see more birds than riders. At minus 30 i hope a dog walker will help before i freeze so my fatbike is studded.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I ride by myself 75% of the time and I'm careful. The minute I'm riding with friends my motocross background kicks in and it's off to the races. I had a pretty spectacular high-speed downhill crash today trying to drop my friend on a downhill. I'm the one who got dropped LOL. There's going to be a few weeks of pain now to remind me of my foolishness.
That is why i have no clue of my distance nor speed. I ride to ride an other day because i love to ride. I know i ride often 2-4 hours some days 5 if the weather is real bad the next day. My small challenges are climbing, just happy to reach the top using my small gear. In the second half of life in no rush to ...

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
All solo and likely to remain so, unless I can get my wife on an ebike.

An Inreach or a Spot or a PLB of some kind would be good to have along in case something does go wrong and you don't have cellular coverage on your trails. I carry an InReach.

·
10,000,000 Watts
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Hey bud, where do you live?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just picked up a Tazer so we will see how things change but half the time I ride by myself. I have a buddy who got an ebike a number of months ago and I stopped riding with him because I hated always feeling “too slow.” He never cared but I did. When you are the fast guy, within reason it’s fine to wait. When you’re the slow guy you feel bad for holding dudes up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.