Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again from Tennessee. I have posted before about moving. Last time I moved to Lake City for the summer. It was the most beautiful place I have ever been, but not for the 23 year old male.(if you have been there, you know...) Regardless,this time I dont want to move too soon after I get there.... I am wondering how GJ is. I went through on my fruita and moab trip last summer, but didnt spend too much time around the area. I am single. I have a dog, and along with the rest of you an unhealthy addiction to cycling. I also need money because, i am on my own. So, thus a job will be needed. I work on copiers at the moment. Just something I fell into. I am willing to do something new, might be nice actually. Any apt., nightlife, good area in town to live info would be gretly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I just moved here a month ago, to Gateway, which is about an hour south of Grand Junction proper. Obviously, I'm not the most qualifed expert on the subject. But that never stopped anyone from dispensing advice on the Net. Job-wise, I hear you can make pretty money working on the oil rigs out here - $26 an hour is the starting rate - again, all hearsay. I have no idea how this compares to your copy machine job. It would be damn hard work for sure, but the two weeks on, one week off scedule would be nice.

I haven't really explored the social scene much; been spending most of my free time exploring the outdoors. Main Street of Junction is pretty cool, though most places seem to shut down pretty early. Mesa Theatre on Main St. seems to get most of the live music shows, and I guess there are a few other bars scatterd around town that cater to the college crowd.

True locals - if I'm wrong on any of this stuff, call b.s.. I'm still learning about the area.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yes I do.

My wife and I moved to GJ about a month ago, after living on the other side of the mountains for over 20 years. I'm 58 years old, been married for almost 34 years, and am semi-retired. We spent four years investigating where to retire to in the Southwest portion of the US, and settled on GJ as best meeting our needs. Doesn't sound like we have a great deal in common other than a love for cycling, but I can give you some basic info on the town.

1) Growth in the Grand Valley is phenomenol. GJ is the fifth fastest growing area in the country. This means housing prices have skyrocketed over the last few years.
2) Jobs seem to be plentiful in construction, and in gas/oil exploration. Google the Grand Junction Sentinel (local paper) and you can look at their want ads.
3) My nephew, who is single and lives in Montrose, frequently makes the 60+ mile drive to GJ for the nightlife, so there must be some here. I have no clue.
4) This is the desert, and temperatures have been above average since we've been here. Mid-90s to over 100. But, it's a dry heat. Swamp coolers work great here.
5) Clifton and the NE part of GJ seem to be less desireable places to live than the Western portions of GJ. Higher crime rates, etc.
6) Lots of good riding locally, both road & mtb. I can be on some pretty technical single track just two blocks from my front door. There's a great paved trail along the Colorado River that runs for miles. Lots of the mtb trails in this area are quite technical, and according to the locals I've talked to, are some of the hardest in the country. They seem pretty tough to me. Too tough for my wife.
7) Good shopping and health care in GJ, as this city seems to serve most of the Western Slope in that regard.
8) Several good bike shops both in GJ and in Fruita. Not your typical "family" shops. Lots of high-end gear and knowledgeable help.

I hope this helps. If you have more specific questions, just ask.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My wife and I moved here last July from Denver, where I'd been since 1980. We could no longer suffer the big city madness/traffic/crime/rudeness and we were looking for a place that offers year-round cycling, friendly people and no crowds.

From your post, it sounds like you would very much dig the lifestyle in GJ. There is a college here, so you'll have plenty of nightlife stuff for your age demographic. There is plenty of employment to be had here as previously noted, and any and all types of riding you want to do. I've got a FS, a hardtail, a roadie and two BMX bikes. They all get ridden/raced all the time. This place is very cyclocentric in all regards. That right there is enough for me: bike people are the best.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm 28, the scene here as far as riding goes is pretty strong, the night life suffers at times, and then other times there are hotties all over the place. Down town is good for some bar scene stuff. I am having a hard time finding a good chick though, but i am pickey. But the riding is good, drive an hour or two in any direction and you can ride about any kind of terrain. Finding a job is not to hard, i have never had trouble.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
hankthespacecowboy said:
I just moved here a month ago, to Gateway, which is about an hour south of Grand Junction proper. Obviously, I'm not the most qualifed expert on the subject. But that never stopped anyone from dispensing advice on the Net. Job-wise, I hear you can make pretty money working on the oil rigs out here - $26 an hour is the starting rate - again, all hearsay. I have no idea how this compares to your copy machine job. It would be damn hard work for sure, but the two weeks on, one week off scedule would be nice.

I haven't really explored the social scene much; been spending most of my free time exploring the outdoors. Main Street of Junction is pretty cool, though most places seem to shut down pretty early. Mesa Theatre on Main St. seems to get most of the live music shows, and I guess there are a few other bars scatterd around town that cater to the college crowd.

True locals - if I'm wrong on any of this stuff, call b.s.. I'm still learning about the area.
Is the Hideaway still open? I was planning to come over for the dynamite shoot, but had to work. I love gateway. Only 52 miles from my home town. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks much

Ok, sounds like all i have heard thus far is true. I am trying to come visit the area in the next two months, so that will help. As far as nightlife, if i can make a few friends to enjoy a good beer or two with after a long ride that is what i am looking for. Sounds like that wont be a problem. I live in middle tennessee right now so, the riding situation couldnt get too much worse. Looking foward to it. Any places to rent from anyone has had any experience with?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Anonymous said:
I was planning to come over for the dynamite shoot, but had to work.
I went, had been wanting to go for years. What a hoot! No one in our group hit from the offhand area, but it was still fun.

Went over to the new resort in the afternoon for lunch, where a wedding was taking place. Nothing like massive explosions to make for a romantic nuptials!:D

Note to event booking agent at Gateways Canyons: Remember the first Saturday in May -- it's gonna be loud!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Back in the 70's

And 80's. My friends and family would go to Gateway for thier "Prom". usually they would graduate 1 or 2 kids. The prom was a pig roast and beer bust about a mile, or so, east of town. Great party. I used to mine up above the nitch. Wish I could go back. Good times, and great people.

Tanks for the mamories. :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well. I lived in GJ for around 3 years mostly in the winter. Going to school at Mesa. Lived in Fruita for a winter, part of that time was in an appt that bunt down. FUN I can tell ya. Then I lived in the campground there. After a winter back in Steamboat I returned to finish school and lived Downtown, right behind the KFC, I can still smell the chicken.

Single life is strange in GJ, the population is rather Polar. Meaning that there are not many people in the mid range of age. Young school aged, College and younger. NO grad students thought. And then you get the married with kids group and the retires that are down form the harsher climates of the Mountains. I did not find many young professionals in the area. Most of the Mesa grads leave right after graduation. I think that the job market has allot to do with that.

During my college years (2005 grad) I was always on the look out for good jobs and they were few and far between. Most of the Jobs are in Education, Medicine, or lower level service.

So the bad would be the job market, and the singles scene. It is also not the easiest city to travel out of.

There are many positive aspects to the community though. For Colorado there is relatively low cost of living, great recreational opportunities, and a nice climate save mid summer but most get used to that or are like me a flee for the hot months.

I would tell you to go for it. Find a Job before you move, visit there a few times before hand and figure out where you want to live. You will have to Drive to ride pretty much anywhere so pick the neighborhood that suits your personality. Downtown is getting pretty cool and homes can be had for a pretty reasonable price still.

·
Registered
20 Posts
WOW! Some good info here. I too have been recently thinking of making the move out of Cali and into colorado. GJ is at the top of my list for many of the above reasons, but I too am concerned about the job market. I am a mechanic currently, but am trying to get out of that field. It seems that GJ is conviently located for much of what I like to do (4wheel, explore, and just getting into mtbing). I am comming out in mid july, anything I should check out in particular?

BTW, currently 29 and single also, where all the womens at?:D

My other choice is Fort Collins as my sister is there and I could pursue my 4yr college degree there.

Thanks for the info!
Kevo

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the info. I am trying to come out in early sept. Can anyone give me specific areas of town to look in for renting?

Ridefruita where do you live now?

·
Registered
235 Posts
GJ experience

This is a growing area with plenty of available jobs. You may not get the perfect job right away, but if you are the least bit employable, you will find something to get you started. It is a great cycling area - year round! I live in a quite older downtown GJ neiborhood that is an easy 15 minute spin to the Lunch Loop trail head. Not to dis on Fruita, but there is no MTB trails that close to Fruita (since Pllock was closed). To me, with gas prices, being able to ride to the trail head is important. The pro-side of Fruita is that my freinds who live there can ride to their jobs in GJ and get good mid-week work-outs during the riding seasons. Also, riding to work every day is easy to do in most GJ locations too. Bonus; places like Crested Butte and Gunnison are 2.5 - 3 hours away, making for easy weekend getaways.

·
Registered
540 Posts
It's always a bit shocking to hear of other people who know of Gateway. I arrived here on the weekend of the dynamite shoot, which is quite an experince. Between a couple dozen people, there was enough firepower to put your local National Guard to shame. The event is the community's biggest/only draw, aside from the resort, which is another ball of wax altogether. Though the dynamite shoot is tremendously popular, word on the street is that they've been short on volunteers. Usually, they hold two shoots a year, one in the spring, one in the fall. There's been rumor the fall shoot may not happen, but I think the resort may be lending some manpower to help pull it off.

We're finding more trails as we get to explore the area more - old pack mule and mining trails that look like they would make some sweet singletrack. The BLM is also planning on starting work on singletrack in Lumsden canyon this fall. As trails get developed and we find out which ones are legit, I'll post pics.

·
trailmaster
170 Posts
I'm looking at a possible job in Rifle. We'll see. Haven't been out that way since my Hang Gliding days in the 80's. Y'all need another trail builder out there???

·
Registered
540 Posts
Sofakinold said:
I'm looking at a possible job in Rifle. We'll see. Haven't been out that way since my Hang Gliding days in the 80's. Y'all need another trail builder out there???
Sorry, I'm hogging all the good trailbuilding jobs right now. At least the paying ones. Hopefully in the fall we'll be ready to launch into some serious, large-scale trailbuidling operations. If we could organize some sort of shindig around trailbuidling and riding, that would be righteous.

·
trailmaster
170 Posts
hankthespacecowboy said:
Sorry, I'm hogging all the good trailbuilding jobs right now. At least the paying ones. Hopefully in the fall we'll be ready to launch into some serious, large-scale trailbuidling operations. If we could organize some sort of shindig around trailbuidling and riding, that would be righteous.

They PAY you to build trails out there??? :thumbsup: :???: And I've been putting in a few hundred hours a year for the last 15+ years and buying all my materials and equiptment on my own because;???? All volunteer labor here.

Things are different in the East, alot of the work has to do with cutting out or cutting back vegetation. As well as water control, bench work, berming, rock armoring, ect.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts