Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how people rate there local area for riding. There is no excact definition of bike mecca in my mind but I know I live in one.
So Ill start.
Telluride, Colorado-
Telluride is blessed some of the best singletrack riding I have found. Most of the rides start from town(no driving). Loops can be short 45 minute rides-Boomerang road to kave trail, Mill creek(maybe the best hour or less ride around), Jurrasic.
So you have two hours to kill. Perfect Step up to Eider creek(60 minutes of some of the most difficult climbing around rewarded with some amazing high elevation singltrack at the base of cambell mountain), or how bought penolpe,rudys, millcreek. So many options so little time
Long rides epics. No problemo-
Alta Lakes- As good a ride as there is.
Wilson mesa-rideing beneth the coors can peak(wilson peak)
Gold hill wasach connector mmmmmm tasty
Want to go to durango- why not, Telluride to durango is a nice 8 hour ride on excelent singletrack-East fork to hermosa creek.
Well this is just scrathing the surface of the riding. There are pass rides that will bring you to the heavens and tons of rides all within a 20 minute drive(blackhark rules)
Oh we are also only a 21/2 hour drive from Moab, Junction, Crested butte, Durango.
So hows your riding. I know there are plenty of places that rule.
Ive seen some(crested butte, Moab, junction, durango, flagstaff, sedona, tuscon) but there are so many more tell me about them!
BSG

·
More Chasmism
798 Posts
Of Sorts

Hmm... there's obviously a lot more to Telluride than what I've done (and loved). I didn't recognize but a few of the trails you listed. Makes me want to head back over there. Only things I didn't see mentioned were Running With Scissors and PBR.

Glad you're enjoying your San Juan mecca.

hfly

·
long standing member
3,098 Posts
BSG said:
Just wondering how people rate there local area for riding. There is no excact definition of bike mecca in my mind but I know I live in one.
I don't know if it's a mecca, but State College, PA has some pretty great riding. I've only been riding regularly for 10 months so there are probably others that could be much more detailed regarding the area's trails.

I know that Rothrock State Park (one of the areas I ride a lot) is the site of one of the IMBA's Epic rides. The 2005 Single Speed World Championships were held there as well. So it would seem the mountain biking community thinks highly of this area. More local events, such as the Wilderness 101 are also held here each year.

For me personally, since I'm still a bit of a newb, the local trails are an excellent challange. Lots of climbing on singletrack (and fire- and forest-roads, if that's your kind of thing :p ), very technical (some of the trails seem to be one big, constant rock garden) with some fun descents (or so I am told, I haven't hit many of them yet). It seems as if one could go up and down the area's mountain ridges for days if you wanted to.

There are some PA State Gamelands that are pretty fun to spin around in (not that we'd ride in there on days when we aren't supposed to :nono: ;) ). That riding's a bit smoother with (a lot) less climbing, and there are still some light technical features (logs and log piles, mostly; plus a couple of little jumps) to keep things interesting.

The town of State College (home of Penn State University) is pretty cool. Lots of lodging (PSU Football draws in 100,000+ on gamedays), some pretty decent (and some really bad) eateries, a pretty good brewpub and lots and lots of college bars. The local MTB organization has regular group rides and does a good job with advocacy and maintaining & building trails. There are quite a few bikes shops in town, as well.

There are other areas locally (within 60 minutes drive) that offer similar good riding. Maybe someone else will chime in with their thoughts.

Patrick

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
60 + riding areas with a one hour drive, 16 miles of trails out my front door w/ shuttling options, two hours to Diablo or Plattekill, lbs owner is a freerider- I've got it pretty good. I don't live in what is traditionally thought of a bike mecca, but I've got great technical trails and a few trail gnomes around to keep things fresh.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Bellingham, WA---not quite a mecca, but pretty good.

I'm far from a seasoned rider who has done anything more than scratch the surface of my town's riding options but...

...about 8 miles of I-5 south of town (10 mins drive, 30 min ride) are surrounded by the chuckanut mountains which are riddled with trails of every nature and length.

...the north cascades are an hour away

...whistler is 2.5 hours away

...half the streets have bike lanes

...5 quality lbs in a town of 60,000, somebody has that part you need

...the hub, a bicycle junkyard where you can earn shop time by vollenteering

and then theres galbraith, this is a mountain that is literally in town--it is sick. It has miles and miles of top notch singletrack crisscrossing all over it. Everything from tough climbing, fast fire roads, catwalks, drops, burms, switchbacks, jumps and anything else a rider would want whether a fitness climber or FR lunatic. I've hit it for a dozen 2 hour after work rides and have barely seen a fifth of it.

So it might not be telluride or moab, but I like it.

·
Rollin' the dice
109 Posts
dmorales said:
I live in Texas and it pretty much sucks compared to that description. :(
Basically. We have some decent singletrack, no huge elevation changes like mountains (gasp). Oh well, you live with what ya got.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
PCinSC said:
I don't know if it's a mecca, but State College, PA has some pretty great riding. I've only been riding regularly for 10 months so there are probably others that could be much more detailed regarding the area's trails.

I know that Rothrock State Park (one of the areas I ride a lot) is the site of one of the IMBA's Epic rides. The 2005 Single Speed World Championships were held there as well. So it would seem the mountain biking community thinks highly of this area. More local events, such as the Wilderness 101 are also held here each year.

For me personally, since I'm still a bit of a newb, the local trails are an excellent challange. Lots of climbing on singletrack (and fire- and forest-roads, if that's your kind of thing :p ), very technical (some of the trails seem to be one big, constant rock garden) with some fun descents (or so I am told, I haven't hit many of them yet). It seems as if one could go up and down the area's mountain ridges for days if you wanted to.

There are some PA State Gamelands that are pretty fun to spin around in (not that we'd ride in there on days when we aren't supposed to :nono: ;) ). That riding's a bit smoother with (a lot) less climbing, and there are still some light technical features (logs and log piles, mostly; plus a couple of little jumps) to keep things interesting.

The town of State College (home of Penn State University) is pretty cool. Lots of lodging (PSU Football draws in 100,000+ on gamedays), some pretty decent (and some really bad) eateries, a pretty good brewpub and lots and lots of college bars. The local MTB organization has regular group rides and does a good job with advocacy and maintaining & building trails. There are quite a few bikes shops in town, as well.

There are other areas locally (within 60 minutes drive) that offer similar good riding. Maybe someone else will chime in with their thoughts.

Patrick
I'll second that!!!! Be home on Tues. Where to on Thurs?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Live in North Vancouver, 10 minutes from the "Shore". 11/2 hrs from Whistler Mountain Bike Park. It doesn't get much better than that.

·
long standing member
3,098 Posts
be350ka said:
I'll second that!!!! Be home on Tues. Where to on Thurs?
How about some of those trails off of Laurel Run Road, closer to Shingletown Gap? I've never been over that way, it'll be fun to get my butt kicked by different Rothrock trails. :D

Attachments

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
PCinSC said:
How about some of those trails off of Laurel Run Road, closer to Shingletown Gap? I've never been over that way, it'll be fun to get my butt kicked by different Rothrock trails. :D
Yea that sounds great. Shingletown to Charcoal Flats. This way you can see that bad arse downhill with the big drop at the bottom. It will be fun.:thumbsup:

·
long standing member
3,098 Posts
More OT

be350ka said:
Yea that sounds great. Shingletown to Charcoal Flats. This way you can see that bad arse downhill with the big drop at the bottom. It will be fun.:thumbsup:
Cool, we can try to break my bike, that way I'll have to get a full-suspension right away. :eek: :cornut: :yesnod:

Patrick

p.s. I hope my wife doesn't see this post :yikes:

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
dmorales said:
I live in Texas and it pretty much sucks compared to that description. :(
I used to live in TX (DFW) and it just pretty much sucked.

Where I live now is OK... WA was great, though I wouldn't consider it a mecca. Where I lived had ~50 miles of incredible singletrack with 4 trailheads w/in a half mile of my door. My definition of a riding mecca would include the fact that it draws riders to the area specifically for riding.

Whistler, Moab, Fruita, the front range area, Asheville... those would be places I'd call a mecca.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like some good areas!

Cant wait to try whistler and vancouver area. I have a stupid poss. or marijuana on my record wich makes Canada tough to get into. Ashville is great. Spent a week there two years ago and was blown away with the rides. The only issue there was that it was a couple of weeks after some Hurricane droped a couple feet of rain, so there were tons of down trees. Definitly a mecca. How about Cali? Never ridden there. Must be some killer trails!!
BSG

·
Registered
84 Posts
BSG - I'm in the Tahoe Area and would say that this place definately rates as a Mecca. Sweet Sierra singletrack with views of the Lake Tahoe, Wilderness Areas, and Desert Valleys, Desert Foothill Rides (year round), 1 hour from Nevada City, 1.5 from Downieville. We've got it all.

With that said, I'll be in Telluride from the 27th to the 5th. I'm planning to ride on Friday and Monday and potentially more days if we don't have other plans. Are you up for showing someone around? If so, great. If not, can you let me know of a couple 3 hour rides (prefer singletrack) that you'd recommend.

Patrick

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
I live in Ft Collins, CO

Maybe not a "mecca" but pretty dam good. I can ride out my front door, 40' to a city bike path that in 3 mi. links me to over 100 mi of single track that can be ridden year round. Winters are mild, like Utah, but summers are generally not "too" hot to ride from my front door except on a few day's. If I feel like it, the Continental Divide is 45 min. away by car for tundra riding. If want a "road trip" all of CO /Utah is only a few hrs. drive.

Cost of housing is reasonable , not like the resort towns, and cheaper than Den./Boulder. Great "amenities" like 3 micro breweries, 1 "macro" brewery (New Belgium), plus the "Bud" plant. Usually plentiful jobs, and a great small town atmosphere but in a large college town 120,000 + pop.

Best of everything, who need's "mecca" ?? :D :D

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,396 Posts
Teton Valley Idaho AND Wyoming.
Stu-F-ing-Pendous.

More here than is comprehendable.

search and be enlightened. Crazy good.

Hint: The Big Hole's and the Gros Vents.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Afan Forest Park, Wales, UK

I live a short 10 minute drive from the centre of around 100km of man made trails at Afan Forest Park - all of which is a breath of life blown into an old South Wales coal mining area (e.g the Whites Level trail is named after the name of the coal mine which it is built around)

We already have an uplift (shuttle) service and there are plans in place to install a ski lift type bike lift in conjunction with more DH orientated course being built.

Recent nPower sponsorship (windfarm renewable energy company) has seen even more man made trails being built.

The only down side to biking in Wales is that when it rains (mostly winter), the dirt is of a particular brake pad destroying composition that it gets pretty expensive to ride!

PS If you plan to visit the UK - DO NOT FORGET YOUR BIKE! - You're all welcome!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Although there might now be an exact definition for what a bike mecca might be, I view it as a destination that other bikers would want to travel a large distance to go to. Do you live in a place that people are willing to fly to or drive for a day to get to? Then I would consider that a bike mecca. Countless locations are lucky enough to have a great trail selection, but not all of them are meccas. Part of being a bike mecca might simply be luck, promotion, marketing, legend, whatever.

Using my guideline, places that I'd view as a bike mecca include Whistler, North Vancouver, Moab, Fruita, etc. The top tier places. The 'jealousy' places (the kind of places that if you tell another biker that you have an upcoming trip to that the other person will be jealous of you).

I feel very lucky to be able to live in Whistler. I am able to ride the North Shore fairly regularly and visited Moab for my first time last fall. I hope to be able to ride all the other top-tier biking destinations in the near future. That actually leads me to a question I've been wondering about for a while - what do you consider the "can't miss" biking destinations?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts