Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 557 Posts

·
Awesomist™
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yeah, man... I like to get HIGH... so I'm dedicating a thread to full-on high country riding STOKE. I know you got some shots, post 'em up. Let's try and keep the stoke to truly getting HIGH and remember... the Dude abides. To start us off, here's some pictures from America's Birthday 2013: Colorado Trail from Copper to Kokomo Pass as an out-n-back with a crew including teh LBG and WKD-RDR.

About halfway up Guller Creek:

WKD-RDR on a bit of amazing singletrack:

Just popped above treeline, and things are starting to get real:

We only had a few snow fields to cross, this one is just shy of Searle Pass by a few hundred yards:

Teh LBG and I (and a marmot) on top of Searle Pass at 12,027'. I'm in the flannel:

WKD-RDR setting off for Kokomo Pass. We were the only two of an 8-person group to mission over to Kokomo Pass and back:

Mission accomplished at 12,027'. Now to get back...

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
High Enough For You?

From a 12,600 ft hilltop between Salida and Gunnybird. Yesterday Foh Dee July.

And then of course the gratuitous Nice Marmot from Indian Ridge (~12,200 ft) north of Durango this past Saturday:

Attachments

·
Awesomist™
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
High Enough For You?
DUDE, YOU'RE SO HIGH! :D

Nice marmot! Our little pudgy friend was trying to either eat or have sex with WKD-RDR's bike on Searle Pass yesterday... totally ENAMORED with it... probably because at 12K he's just really high! It all ended when he was literally hugging the fork and the bike toppled over on top of him... friggin' hysterical! He was up on his hind legs with his little front paws totally wrapped around the fork leg and then KAPLOW he knocked it over.

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
... Our little pudgy friend was trying to either eat or have sex with WKD-RDR's bike on Searle Pass yesterday... totally ENAMORED with it... probably because at 12K he's just really high! It all ended when he was literally hugging the fork and the bike toppled over on top of him... friggin' hysterical! He was up on his hind legs with his little front paws totally wrapped around the fork leg and then KAPLOW he knocked it over.
That's crazy! Amazing how completely unafraid of us the high kountry kritters can be. I had a (I think) Ptarmigan walking in front of me yesterday just clucking and walking 8 feet away as I stumbled up the CC Hike-a-Bike. If I was hungry I think I could have taken off my pack and thrown it on top of her then cooked her up. Or I could have maybe ran up and kicked her like a football...

On an unrelated note, I was talking to our friend MacDarnerferd yesterday at River's Edge as he ate a plate of victuals and I drank a First Cast--he's been up there in the Tomichi country lots this summer. He rode up there from town I think Tuesday or Wednesday.

·
Awesomist™
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On an unrelated note, I was talking to our friend MacDarnerferd yesterday at River's Edge as he ate a plate of victuals and I drank a First Cast--he's been up there in the Tomichi country lots this summer. He rode up there from town I think Tuesday or Wednesday.
I need to get down there to God's Country and get high with that dude REAL soon... CC has been on my radar for a hot minute and I think this year I'm gonna make it happen. LOL at the visual of you punting a ptarmigan, BTW.

·
friend of Apex
4,007 Posts
Nice lil Marmot held my bike up for this 'look at my rad clown bike in a super rad spot', shot.

I thought he was chewing my cables for a minute, but it appears he was licking (maybe he liked my sweat?)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,268 Posts
I've got some pics of me real high, above 13k. From back in the day. But I can't find them. They're hiding on some hard drive, seemingly never to be found. I did, however, find something I've been looking for for about three weeks, hidden in the dark recesses of my closet in a box that I'd looked in FIRST, twice, but didn't see it. From looking in closet to garage to storage unit back to closet to FOUND in closet.

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
Camp Trail starts just above lake San Cristobel and runs up to about 12300 and joins CDT...
Oh yeah, I've been up the Camp Trail! Been at least a decade, but I rode and pushed up that sucker.

Once you make the top you're on a section of CT that traverses what's called the La Garita Stock Driveway. Leads you over into the upper Rio Grande basin, follow the CT down and down into Bear Town.

Awesome country. I think the fires have it kind of off limits just now...

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Nice lil Marmot held my bike up for this 'look at my rad clown bike in a super rad spot', shot.

I thought he was chewing my cables for a minute, but it appears he was licking (maybe he liked my sweat?)

Alpine vermin. They'll chew up anything salty or sweet. I had one chew up the chin straps on my helmet and bike gloves once when I left them parked with my bike for a couple hours once. They can be hell on radiator hoses too. Porcupines are worse at chewing up property, but marmots are a close second.

·
Shread Ready
1,287 Posts
Wow, awesome pictures high riders! I hope to get some high riding in this summer. Funny varmints up at that altitude. LOL
Ride on! :cornut:

1 - 20 of 557 Posts