Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a ESGE Double Kickstand.
It costs more than $50.
On the other hand, I have just been leaning it up against something for some years now.
Also: Is a double stand like this durable?

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
No

I honestly see no point in them for most bikes.

Maybe for a commuter bike but even then I would be putting in in a rack or at least locking it to something if I am getting off it.

They add unnecessary weight and on a mountain bike can get in the way and even be dangerous if you are jumping and doing technical stuff.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Two of my bikes have the Plestcher double kickstand and my other two no. It's a personal choice if you think a kickstand will better serve you than leaning your bike .. then do it. But I recommend that you use guards so it doesn't dig into the paint/frame.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,451 Posts
for cargo bikes, a kickstand makes sense to keep the bike stable when loading/unloading. Same reason it might be useful for a commuter.

For a mtb? crash hazard.

·
Banned
172 Posts
If you use your MT bike on anything but road, then kickstands have no place.

MT bikes are not cool with ugly kick stands, they'll hurt you when on a trail. Plenty of trees and stuff to lean it against.

So my answer is... F-No.

Now....if it's a Harley then that is a different thing.

·
Registered
277 Posts
errmm no. a crash hazard and really have no place on a mtb. they can come loose, shift and catch stuff on the trail. instant crash and potential er visit

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am thinking of getting a ESGE Double Kickstand.
It costs more than $50.
On the other hand, I have just been leaning it up against something for some years now.
Also: Is a double stand like this durable?
OK, I dont need anymore answers. I accidently put the question in the mountain biking forum when it should have been in the commuter forum, where I reposted it. The bike is a touring bike used as commuter.
No more answers, thanks

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
kickstands are great for cargo bikes and beach cruisers. you could not pay me enough money to put a kickstand on my mountain bike. silly, unneccessary weight, and dangerous to boot.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,203 Posts
kickstand on mtb ? no

kickstand on road ? no

kickstand on purely city bike or purely beach bike, when performance and speed do not matter ? sure.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Really should we even call it a "kickstand"? I mean you don't really kick it.

But in case you have not figured it out yet, don't do it on a mountain bike. Not only is it unnecessary weight, they are purely dangerous.

Just sayin'

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
I'm sorry so that is a definite "NO" on kick-stands right? :)

As Reagan would have said "Just Say No to Kickstands"

1 - 20 of 59 Posts