·
Fart smeller
17,756 Posts
The Dented Toptube Especial?

Reactions: mik_git

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Not sure but gauging by the machine work on the shock brace and drop outs i'd wager it was a fairly nice bike in it's day. Shot in the dark, ventana, salsa or the like. Or perhaps a knock off of such.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

·
Uncle
4,259 Posts
Trek Liquid was my first thought, but those sculpted rockers are more likely somtehing K2, Fuji or Novara. I can't place it with certainty. Might be one a Euro dept store brand, or Supergo or something along those lines. It's not a Ventana be sure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There are a few designs like that. I did a website magazine review on an Ellsworth Evolve 29er with a rear end like that and loved it. The only reason I didn't buy is that it was an XC bike but had no room in the front triangle. Strangely enough, they made that change the following year and a mate bought one. I'm always nervous when people act on my advice, but needn't have worried - he loved it too.

Looking at the Ellsworth listings on Bicycle Blue Book it may in fact be an Ellsworth.

It looks like ancient history but will ride really well.

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
I think I remember ellsworth using a rocker like that as well but after disk brakes if memory serves. That could just be a knock off though gauging by the tubing welds. Dunno

·
Rippin da fAt
8,116 Posts
There are a few designs like that. I did a website magazine review on an Ellsworth Evolve 29er with a rear end like that and loved it. The only reason I didn't buy is that it was an XC bike but had no room in the front triangle. Strangely enough, they made that change the following year and a mate bought one. I'm always nervous when people act on my advice, but needn't have worried - he loved it too.

Looking at the Ellsworth listings on Bicycle Blue Book it may in fact be an Ellsworth.

It looks like ancient history but will ride really well.
In my infinite senility, I just cannot remember Els doing the twisted chainstay.
Also noted the ISIS brake tab along with canti bosses. That does set the approximate era anywho.

·
Uncle
4,259 Posts
Has canti and disc mounts, so figure 1998-2002. Within that window, it's easy to hone online examples from any high end/boutique maker. I don't think it's an Ellsworth, Ventana, Turner, Intense, etc. Nor something from mid-range outfits like Kona, RM, Spec, Trek. And it's not weird enough to be a Cannondale. 😉

Have you seen it ridden before? Wondering if that front and rear were ever a mated pair, or if someone just pieced some extra parts together to sell. What does the shock label say? Ritchey?

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Wondering if that front and rear were ever a mated pair, or if someone just pieced some extra parts together to sell.
Good points.
Perhaps that's why the shock is detached. It looks like the coil would contact the lower mounting business.

·
CEO Product Failure
1,511 Posts
Its a VPP / Horstlink bike. Specialized had (has?) the patent on the horstlink. I don't believe its necessarily a Specialized just this linkage/suspension design should assist in identifying the frame.

its definitely not a Ventana. I've been riding Ventana's since 2003. To my knowledge, Sherwood has never licensed the horstlink.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its a VPP / Horstlink bike. Specialized had (has?) the patent on the horstlink. I don't believe its necessarily a Specialized just this linkage/suspension design should assist in identifying the frame.

its definitely not a Ventana. I've been riding Ventana's since 2003. To my knowledge, Sherwood has never licensed the horstlink.
Hello there! Thank You! At least now I know the type of frame.

Can you please tell me do you know what its potential price might be? How much would it cost?

It's important for me to know ...

Thank You!

·
since 4/10/2009
30,138 Posts
Hello there! Thank You! At least now I know the type of frame.

Can you please tell me do you know what its potential price might be? How much would it cost?

It's important for me to know ...

Thank You!
To buy? To sell?

Either way, with those huge dents in the top tube, I wouldn't buy it period. And that's besides the point that it looks like the rear shock can't even attach to the rocker link, which is a major problem for a potential buyer. There are some big problems with this thing.

·
Registered
787 Posts

Thats not a VPP, looks like a pretty conventional Horstlink 4 bar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Any clue on its asking price, bingemtbr?

Thank You

·
Registered
185 Posts
An item is worth what someone will pay. That item is an ancient 26" wheel frame with an ancient horst link rear suspension setup and a spring with no damping that doesn't look like it belongs with this frame. Even with no damage, building that into a bike would net you a bike not worth the hours put into assembly. As damaged as it is, any bike built using this frame would not be worth the hours put into assembly and would be unsafe to ride.
In short, no sane individual would pay any amount of currency for that frame. The only worth it has would be in the scrap metal. Using US terms, you would get maybe $.15 per pound for that scrap on a good day. It being an ancient 26" wheel frame that at the time was likely a size L (19") would weigh around six pounds or so.
Depending on how close you are to a recycling company, it wouldn't be worth the drive unless you had more scrap to bring with you or had to run an errand close to that recycler.

The frame is a liability. It has a negative value.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts