Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love to ride, but I put the bikes away from Oct.- mid. Jan. because I also love to hunt. Season is almost over, 3 more days " except coyotes" and I get the "shakes" pretty bad for a month or two once it ends. So if you ride and hunt and know what I'm talking about tell me your best hunting story, and if it involves bikes that would be great. I don't hunt off my bike but I do a lot of scouting from it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Aw, my stories aren't that good, and neither are the pictures. I'm off to bed now but I'll post something in a couple days.

For sure, when you can combine bikes and hunting, it's a good thing.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'm not really into hunting, but, it is part of Montana culture. The whole family likes the meat.

I'm still struggling to figure out the best way to carry a rifle. this is how I did it in the 2008 season.

This past season I tried a handlebar mount, but it rotates. I think I need to make different clamps that grip better. My hands rub on the attachment bolts, so the bolts need to be recessed. A suspension fork would keep the rifle from vibrating so much. More money.

With an unlimited budget, I'd like to try a Thompson contender with a scope and bipod. That would just fit in my pack.

Attachments

·
BMX:Our Shining Future
875 Posts
I Like To Stalk 'Em Wapati

with a canon AF100-400 in the CMR wildlife refuge there in Hell Hole Coulee. The wily wapati seems to disappear into thin air once the sun has rose so it's ISO 6400 at five am. Now as to those bunny rabbits I have chased 'em and chased 'em with the dirtcycle now for years running and they just keep getting away! I'm not even close. Once they are on the run they just disappear over the horizon. DON'T BOTHER chasing bunny rabbits into the bushes or you will just end up arse over teakettle and covered with thorns. Also you can't even catch a jackrabbit with a motorcross bike and if you try they will lead you straight over a cliff and then laugh at your misery. Jeez Gregg I was hoping to see that super bike covered with blood.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Nice critter you got there David. He's plenty lot o meat.

Dry fall of 2008 I rode into hunting camp prior to opening day of rifle season. Shoulda gone in earlier while it was froze, cause the ground was pretty greasy. Here's the load partly unloaded. The bags weren't too full because I hoped to be hauling meat out.

Attachments

·
jalepenio jimenez
839 Posts
Heap big whiteman fire...

burns all night.

Animals come from miles around to ooh and ah.

Maybe even get on tv.

Never wanted to take one home with me.............

yet,

anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for looking and answering my request. Greg the Thompson is a great way to go. I use a 14 inch barrel in .223, 55gr. BTHP and have shot about 6 deer with it. I have a Burris 2.5-7 scope on it and I always use a bipod. They do take some practice, but will shoot under 1 inch groups at 200 yrds. Waterfoul ended friday and I have stored most of my gear. I had a great year with the ducks and geese. I have not hunted deer for 2 years [got a little bored with it] but will probably pick it up again next season.
The riding was going great for the last 3 or 4 weeks then we had a lot of rain and it turned the roads to pure ice. I don't have studs on the pugs so I will have to hit I-90 on the road bike until we get new snow [I hate pavement and I-90 but I have to ride.]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Thats incouraging about the Thompson. I was thinking a 308 for elk or deer. 14 inch barrel as well.

Once we made camp, we huddled up to some beers and watched dark settle in. It was a surly crew we had. The next morning we all saw elk at some point, but no one got one. It was a fun trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
My mistake was not staying at camp another night. I rode out in the late afternoon, and the trail was snottier than previous. I made it to the truck with a much heavier bike that would only shift in 3 gears.

some other friends were out on horses, they hunted just above us and took a nice bull. Saw them loading up critters in the parking lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think that is the reason why I don't hunt from my bike. I do have a couple shuttles that I would like to try. I can cover a long way [all downhill of course] in the first or last hour of light. I see a lot of bear sign and a bear or two in the spring, but I am not much of a bear hunter. I hunted lions for 6-7 years but only took my camera. It is a great sport, but the dogs are a lot of work.
What kind of riding do you guys do ? I do a lot of c/c on dirt roads, some single track, and a little lift assist for those days when I need my fix.

Attachments

·
875 Posts
It was a surly crew we had

That's from drinking PBR. Hey did you take that lion photo? My favorite type of bicycle riding is country roads whither forest service BLM private county double track. Lots of it. Lots n lots. I keep training harder and harder trying to catch those bunny rabbits but it seems as though they are getting faster and faster by the year. They always get away.

Attachments

·
nathan bay
172 Posts
Hunting harder than riding lately.....

Trouble is I'm always out-shooting that guy who got me in to duck hunting:D so I just feel rotten about getting all the ducks all the time. Maybe he will shoot some clays during the off-season and come back strong next year is and I won't feel all this guilt.

Attachments

·
875 Posts
One Fine Evening

Gregg and I were riding around the Gallatin Recreational Center. A bunny bolted out of the brush! We chased it for at least two seconds before it disappeared out of sight!! That was pretty darned exciting for me. It's so cute when they go bounce bounce bounce their little cotton tails. I tried to catch that bunny but failed! I never catch the little bunny buns.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did take that photo of the lion. I have lots of others but my scanner broke so I can't get them on the computer. I think it is time to buy a digital camera. The best thing for those rabbits is a shoulder rig for a TC contender with the 410 barrel, I recommend 3" # 4 shot. ;)
We got about an inch of snow last night. I roaded the dog this morning and the snow stuck good to the ice on the tire tracks. After a few sunday drivers head out I will take the pugs out. No more I-90 for now.

·
875 Posts
Long long time ago

Me and Gregg wuz out hunting buffalo wolves on the great northern plains. We stopped for a bite of jackalope stew and Gregg turns to me and says:

Y'know the only ladies in Havre are either hockey players or hookers.

and I said: My SISTER lives in Havre!

he sez: Oh really? What team does she play for?

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well Dave if you want a really good hunt you should go to Alaska with Nate and me. We hunt wolverines with 12 gauge shotguns.
We have good snow so I am heading out with Dog and the pugs for a ride.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.