Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a recent article in the NY Times chronicling how women hide their extravagant purchases from their husbands. The method of choice was to use cash, therefore they don't have to explain a credit card statement. These women had these elaborate schemes, such as asking for too much cash for other necessary purchases, then saving the extra in order to buy what they wanted. The funny thing is that these women came from very affluent households, they just felt this need to take elaborate steps to keep their purchases unknown to their husbands.

So the question is, how many of you hide your bike purchases from your significant other? What methods do you use? Cash only purchases? Do you try the old, "I've had that bike for years now, it just has a different paint job," routine. I keep a pretty honest policy with my wife. Fortunately, I'm broke so there haven't been any bike purchases lately.

DBomb

·
Registered
482 Posts
Aye, that's bad news. I just read an article about how couples are actually more likely to recover from sexual infidelity than they are from significant financial dishonesty. Money cheating a policy best avoided.:yesnod:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds familiar...
It seems every time a picked up a new peice of climbing gear or a new part for my bike my girlfriend (now wife) would stare me down demanding to know how much it cost. The answer was always "about $20" and that was the end of it. (She was wanting an eng. ring at the time so my purchases had to be perceived as minimal)
That strategy only works for so long.
I was able to convince her that my new $1200 road bike cost about $500. Too bad I screwed up when I sold it and told her I got $900 out of it......that's when she caught on to my scheme. It worked out for the best though cause I was only selling it to buy her that ring she had been wanting.

...........now if I could only figure out what she really spends on shoes.

·
Registered
185 Posts
When I bought my Racer X, I had it put together at my friends place and he brought it over as if selling it to me. Told my wife he over extended himself and that I was giving him an excellent deal on a Cannonhole I let him take.
Wife doesnt really get into cycling so components are easily replaced, MTB gear stays in the back of my SUV until they get that less than new look.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
We have a rule that anything >= $100 requires approval and we use common sense regarding our purchases below that threshold. I would never lie to my wife about my purchases.

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Flatlands said:
I was able to convince her that my new $1200 road bike cost about $500. Too bad I screwed up when I sold it and told her I got $900 out of it......that's when she caught on to my scheme.
That`s a good one!

I`ve had my bike for almost five years and only been married three, so no issues with a whole bike. When I buy a new PIECE OF bike, I just put it on and she`d never notice (especially since she`s been living out of town for almost a year). Next winter I hope to put together a new bike and we`ll need to discuss that first to see what kind of "allowance" I can negotiate. Since I generally behave myself, I imagine she`ll approve my request for more than I`m actually willing to part with.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
The best excuse I have ever come up with is:

-- This is my mid life crisis. You got off REALLY F'N EASY.

I also find it helps enormously if my wife picks the color

and (although she is catching on to this one)...

my buddy is married to my wife's sister. We both ride and do a lot of other stuff that costs money. When we want to do something (eg go canoeing, book an MTB holiday, go drinking) we have an arrangement which goes as follows:

him: John (that's me) just invited me on an MTB holiday
his wife: cool

me: Tom (that's him) just invited me on an MTB holiday
my wife: cool

it works brilliantly so far

however I have a bike sitting at the office which I do not know quite how to explain

·
over 50 years of cycling
533 Posts
30 years of marriage survival strategies

I Always make sure to discuss the Big Purchases.....although it may "round up" a BIT more than "anticipated". ;)

I do a lot of mail order and my wife is deeply involved in the bill paying, so thats not something I can sneak though. Although spreading it out a bit can work well with her pre-menopausal memory loss. :cool: "Naw it was MUCH longer than that since I bought XYZ....it just wore out."

Now SMALL purchases that I CAN buy at the LBS without paying triple the cost, I have been known to save up the cash and buy it straight cash and since all bike stuff looks the same.....Who can tell if its the old tires or new tires......:D

And it never hurts to buy "baubles for the restless natives" which is one of our jokes, but it DOES work to soften her up with some nice shiny thing before I need to make a purchase.

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
I need to hide my MTB purchases from the owner of my LBS... he really doesn't like mail order and internet sales at all. He has said things about me buying parts online before... So I end up saying things like I got this from my parents... I bought it off a friend... I've had this a while actually...

I don't mind supporting my LBS but sometimes I need to face the facts that I don't have the money to spend there. It's cheaper to just get it online. I still get stuff at the LBS but not all the time.

As far as my girlfriend... eh.. she'll go Tsk Tsk to me if I get something because she knows I can't exactly afford it right now. My family on the otherhand sometimes is a little unforgiving with their negative comments about my bike stuff..

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
It's all my own money, however my father is a conservative banker and we were raised to save, save, save. So when I finally had enough saved for the FS bike, I told him it was 30% less than it really was.......and he still freaked out. But he knows I wouldn't spend that much on something if I couldn't afford it.

Spending makes me feel out-of-control; as I discussed the specs I wanted on the new bike, I was hyperventilating :rolleyes: Hey, I never spent that much on a *car* before!

What I don't get is why affluent couples hide purchases.......makes no sense. Hell, if I were married, half the fun would be in convincing my husband how the purchase is justified- I'd have to convince myself first, anyway.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
I know what you mean about the LBS.

I like my LBS but they simply can't match price on some stuff.

It's embarrassing to ask them, because I know they won't make it, and then I have to tell them I'm gonna buy it elsewhere. On the other hand, for certain things they are brilliant (eg buying a bike for my wife, who is not sure what she wants... ENDLESS patience, plus they will take it back if it's the wrong color, etc).

It's bad when buying a bike from a store in the US is still $400 cheaper than the best price your Canadian LBS can hit, even when shipping and taxes are figured in.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
When you have 20+ bikes, they all tend to run together and its hard to tell whats new and what isn't. :p

I keep my family finances completely separate from my mtb finances (separate credit cards and bank accounts). If I want something, I have to sell something....though I'm in the process of selling a bunch of my stuff so my wife can go back to school....so when the new stuff comes in, I have a cushion. :D

·
Registered
317 Posts
The only things my wife and I hide from each other is what we paid on gifts for each other around birthdays, anniversary, Xmas, and so on. Other than that, it'd be pretty hard to do so even if we wanted to. With both of us going back to school, things are going to get a little tight, but we're going to set up an "allowance" for each of us that our recreational purchases come from. Depending on what we can dole out to each other, we're looking at $100 a month.

So if I want to get a game for my PS2, it'll come out of that. I usually sell games to pay for games, though, and tend to go to the place with the highest rate of buyback. I just recently got $20 for a game that I payed $20 for. Not too shabby. So usually my game trade-ins have paid for my other games, anime figures, and so forth. Of course, with the PS2 in its twilight, those will eventually end. I don't plan on getting any of the next-gen systems, though my wife has entertained the idea of a Wii in a year or so once we see what kinds of things are coming out for it. She likes the fun, cute games like Katamari Damacy, Okami, and so forth.

So the allowance system will force us to think more about our purchases. The trade-off is that it will empower us with a little more spending power for larger purchases. At present I don't feel like I could make a major purchase for something like a roof rack.. which presents a problem for my intent to use some Xmas money for a kayak. But, one our proposed system, I could get one in about three months if I didn't get anything else recreational, or four if I bought maybe one game a month.

CDs and books, on the other hand, are usually mutually enjoyed, so we don't deduct those from our personal allowances.

This kind of reminds me of an article my wife had read about a lot of the games women play. Apparently, many of the women that responded to the author's inquiries thought nothing of hiding purchases from their husbands and such... yet expected total honesty from their husbands and would be outraged if they found they had hidden the fact that they had bought a new fishing pole or something.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
The wife and I are pretty good with our communication. As long as I can justify it and we have budget, she's open to whatever I think I need.

The only exception is my expense cheques from work... Everything goes on the credit card while I'm out of town and when the expense cheque comes (usually by per diem) it goes against the card...any excess is mine. It isn't a lot, but it lets me get the extras I'd like, not just the things I need plus it keeps the mrs. happy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My wife loves my bike....best thing since my race car. We have been married for over 18 years. The expenses related to my race car drove her crazy. She would agree but she felt it was a hugh waste of money. (which it was) I have never spent money in a way that would cause my family to do without. However, I have hid a few purchases or lowball a few items to avoid the "discussion" about it. She would always roll her eye sif I asked Santa to bring me a new differential. She didn't have a problem when I bought my bike, or upgrade the components.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
I used to, not anymore.

When buying misc stuff I don't tell but when the purchase is significant I'll tell her even thou there's an old chineese saying that says something like this "is better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission".

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.