Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
chainpain
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got so curious all of a sudden, and just wanted to post this for fun. To all the boys/men on this page: Would it be unbearable for you, having a relationship with someone who rides better/faster? Do you have to be the best? :)

·
Dr. Pepper drinker
1,637 Posts
tough question....

Personally, I think it would be great, would definitely push me to be a better rider. I've always enjoyed riding with people of a little higher skill level. Might be a little hard for me to swallow but in the long run I think it would be cool. Would never have to worry if I am pushing someone else too hard, just if I am holding someone back!

·
Registered
286 Posts
My wife is faster than me, makes more money, is better looking, a better cook, and a better listener. She is cleaner, smells better than me and will do the laundry AND pick up Chinese food on the way home from work.

I am a very, very lucky man.

What was the question again?

·
Registered
374 Posts
chainsuck said:
I just got so curious all of a sudden, and just wanted to post this for fun. To all the boys/men on this page: Would it be unbearable for you, having a relationship with someone who rides better/faster? Do you have to be the best? :)
Unbearable? No, typically I'm the slow ass.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No, it wouldn't bother me at all. Riding isn't a "competition" for me. I tried racing a couple of times and didn't see the point. I enjoy "competing" at Orienteering, so I would be happy to help someone close to me learn/get better at that, and in return I could have someone to ride with that would help me get better and wouldn't leave me behind.

·
Registered
217 Posts
chainsuck said:
No , and No.

·
Jabberwocky Jockey
809 Posts
F**k no!

My wife totally does not ride. Everytime I go to a race (especially 12 or 24 hour ones, that's where the hardcore chicks are:D) or big group ride, I see all sorts of women on bikes, many of them faster/better/stronger than me and, I know I'll burn for saying it, I wish my wife was more like one of them.

I really envy y'all that have wives that kick your azz on the bike.

Peace

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would love to have a significant other I could compete with on the bike. Hell, last year I spent several months training and trying to whoo a local female triathlete. I finished almost every ride about ready to puke, all because of her. Unfortunately the 3rd training partner of the group was her boyfriend. I think he knew I had a crush on her. He seemed more than happy to tell her when to break away, then he would get up behind me and shout "allez! allez! don't get beat by a girl!"

It was too much fun, I wish they hadn't graduated and moved away.

The Ito

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,157 Posts
Nope. My wife occationally rides and that's bike path stuff. Doesn't bother me at all. If she were faster than me, wouldn't care. Heck, I'd encourage it. I've also ridden with some MTBR women who are faster than me, doesn't bother me either.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
chainsuck said:
I couldn't care less to be honest. If I was going out with some racing my same class and was my rival (Which isn't really possible) then I might have some issues.

My SO doesn't ride so its all cool!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Strange you should ask...

chainsuck said:
but since you did...no I don't have to be the best. Anyone in a relationship that does will be lucky to have that relationship last. I think(and you did ask) that you have to be just a bit to much self centered and immature to have that type of attitude.. :D

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Why would it...

catch22 said:
Personally, I think it would be great, would definitely push me to be a better rider. I've always enjoyed riding with people of a little higher skill level. Might be a little hard for me to swallow but in the long run I think it would be cool. Would never have to worry if I am pushing someone else too hard, just if I am holding someone back!
be hard to accept?

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Nope

Most people ride better than me. So what if my wife did? I don't have to be the best at anything. No one really is anyway so why beat yourself up over it?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would like to say no it would not bother me but it is hard to know until you are put in that situation. A few weeks ago I was riding down Porcupine Rim and it just worked out that the a whole gaggle of the Luna Chix were out there at the same time. One blew by me and a bud right near the top, and then another followed a minute later. I could not stand for that so I fought hard to catch up. Granted I was on my 36 pound love machine and she was on some sweet flyweight Cake or something but dammit we were going down Porc!. Eventually I did catch up and we blazed down the two track neck and neck for several minutes. It was really fun being there but I had a real hard time when I knew a girl had passed me. I guess the ideal situation would be that a couple would be equally fit and equally technically savy so they could both ride and enjoy the same trails.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
XTRKona said:
I would like to say no it would not bother me but it is hard to know until you are put in that situation. A few weeks ago I was riding down Porcupine Rim and it just worked out that the a whole gaggle of the Luna Chix were out there at the same time. One blew by me and a bud right near the top, and then another followed a minute later. I could not stand for that so I fought hard to catch up. Granted I was on my 36 pound love machine and she was on some sweet flyweight Cake or something but dammit we were going down Porc!. Eventually I did catch up and we blazed down the two track neck and neck for several minutes. It was really fun being there but I had a real hard time when I knew a girl had passed me. I guess the ideal situation would be that a couple would be equally fit and equally technically savy so they could both ride and enjoy the same trails.

why did you have a really hard time when you knew a girl had passed you? Would it have been even worse if it had been woman, and not a girl?

~formica

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
XTRKona said:
It was really fun being there but I had a real hard time when I knew a girl had passed me.
So you're saying you had to chase her down 'cuz she took off with yer nutz? ;)

I see those Luna Chix out all the time. They are some FAST ladies.

I've only been passed once in recent memory on Porcpuine (by guys - on the climb). I chased them from 1/2 up the climb until the DH section where the long sandy road turns back into broken slickrock. I still had them in sight until I went OTB... Then I just laid down and cried :rolleyes:

I think it'd be cool have a girlfriend that was faster than me. It'd give me motivation to get better so I could stomp her into the ground and assert my male dominance :D

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
No, but it pisses me off when i ride with someone faster and I try my hardest to pace with them (I'm not slow by any means). I'm naturally competitive and anything worth doing is worth doing well, hence putting out the effort.

One secret is to eat a bunch of candy before starting, then go at a pace that the other person can not handle at first, in effect getting them close to bonking, and then backing off to recover yourself and perhaps eat more candy :D. If done right, you can ride faster than someone that is usually faster than you because they'll never recover from the first push.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts