Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I clicked on the add for this company and the bikes seem like a good deal. I was looking at this one:

2008 Asta Comp X7

I read the reviews for the bike itself and it got a 4.88 out 5. Does anyone else have experience with bike, either personally or from a friend.

Also, how is it to deal with this company IBEX Bicycles?

Thanks for the input.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
As InvictaS1 pointed there is a Ibex forum here on Mtbr with allot of great info & people. The customer service is excellent they answer emails & telephones plus there is the forum. When you get a Ibex it is in a box but comes with the tools needed to assemble, most of the assembly is done you just get to do the minor stuff that is good to know any way. I had one of the 1st generation Asta's considering I mostly ride DH/FR the bike held up extremely well never a problem & 2.5 years later is still riding the trails. Have a Atlas & Ignition right now as well as a Blitz II for the extreme DH riding. :rockon::rockon:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked out the IBEX forum and there is a good group of loyal IBEX customers. It seemed like they had nothing but good things to say which is what you would expect from an IBEX forum. The same as what you would expect when you go to GIANT or YETI or TRECK. With so many happy customers though it did make me feel a lot better about considering the brand. I wasn't concerned so much with the bike itself with so many people raving about them but was concerned about what happens when you get the bike and everything isn't perfect. How is the company itself? They don't have to look you in the face when you have a problem with the bike. I know that is the risk of buying online but I would still like to know that the company I spend 1000+ dollars with is a good "stand up" company. I posted here so I could maybe get a perspective from someone rather than just the IBEX loyalist.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
the ibex guys never have anything bad to say about ibex bikes. no bike is perfect.. makes you wonder. you can get a giant trance for 1000 bucks, it might not have as good components, but it also has a world class suspension and frame instead of a random generic rear suspension design. its 300 bucks cheaper too, for the difference you could toss a great fork on it and be ahead of the game.

if you're looking for unbiased opinions, dont look at the ibex section. im sure they're fine bikes, but the bandwagoning and MASSIVE bias is just unreasonable. you cant expect a straight answer from those guys.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
There are actually post of problems people had with there Ibex bikes and there was a resolve. As has been said no brand is perfect & there is always the chance of something going wrong, is Ibex superior at this? No. You can also find ride write ups with many different bikes included, I ride with many different types of bike owners and we all have a great time, that is why we ride. I would highly recommend a Versus Blitz II if you want a bad ass bike or maybe a Knolly or how about a Chumba.:cornut::cornut:

http://www.versuscycles.com/blitz_detail.html

http://www.knollybikes.com/frames/endorphin/

http://www.chumbaracing.com/bikes/evo.html

·
Zero Miles from Myself
804 Posts
cycle.tim

Here is a recent decent discussion about the Asta from build thru first few rides. The OP discusses getting it dialed in etc.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=428657

While I know there are some here on MTBR that talk about the over zealousness of the Ibex owners (and they may be, I cannot speak to that), I have seen a lot of new riders come on this thread, purchase an Ibex based on this "over zealous" crowd and been very pleased with their purchase. I have read very few problems with the company, (most were resolved) and many happy riders.

I do not own one myself, last years Iggy 3 was on my short list - I just ended up with a better deal on a close out bike, but I did later buy and build an Iggy 1 for a friend (based on my research) and he has been thrilled with it.

The Giant Trance mentioned above looks like a great bike too .... but I do not know were to find one for $1000 bucks. The MSRP on the Trance 2 is $1175 (if that is the one tomsmoto ment) and my LBS is pretty firm on those prices. If I could get one mail order for around $1000 I would be in .... but I do not think Giant does that kind of thing.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
my lbs is running them for a tad off, like 1075 or so for the trance 2.

ive ridden a few bikes with the standard 4 bar suspension or single pivot and always notice the bob.. ive ridden a few with a vpp type suspension and really notice the difference, and a near total lack of bobbing.

maybe the ibexes are good bikes.. but i cant ride one, and its been pretty difficult getting anyone to make a fair comparison between an ibex and similar bike.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
tomsmoto said:
my lbs is running them for a tad off, like 1075 or so for the trance 2.

ive ridden a few bikes with the standard 4 bar suspension or single pivot and always notice the bob.. ive ridden a few with a vpp type suspension and really notice the difference, and a near total lack of bobbing.

maybe the ibexes are good bikes.. but i cant ride one, and its been pretty difficult getting anyone to make a fair comparison between an ibex and similar bike.
Brotha I'm right up the road in Pinole, I have a pump track in my back yard JMP is awesome or Dom is rippin let me know what works for you. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I talked a friend into a Trance X last year, looking forward to riding with ya soon. :rockon:

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
I've had some saddle time on an Ibex Asta and have to say i was very impressed. They pedal like hardtails and handle the roughs very well. If you're looking for an XC Race competitive bike which can handle some rough, the Asta takes the cake.

That being said, i'm a proud owner of 2 Ibex bikes right now and they both just straight out shred. My Zone has been treating me very well for almost 2 years now and is still going strong and is my current race bike. The Ignition which i got in February is serving as a very nice do it all play bike. As for the CS, Ibex are cool guys who will see that you're taken cared of. Hell, i think just recently, Ibex sent one of the guys with an Ignition 1 a new fork because he broke his even before the old fork was sent in. Thats awesome CS right there... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tomsmoto - We need to ride... I've got no problems with you riding my bikes. Hell, Linga, the guy who made the ghetto tubeless video is actually riding my Ignition this Saturday at JMP... :cool:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I have a Giant road bike and love it and my LBS is awesome for sure. You just get more as far as components are concerned with the IBEX. I guess the trade off is not having face time with the shop. I'm going to make a last ditch effort to my LBS to sell me the bike at a discount. I have personally talked/bullied/recommended/motivated about 5 people to there shop to buy road bikes. Not just dinky little bikes either but 1000+ bikes. These people probably would have never considered buying the type of bike they did but because I built the brand up, the bike shop up and the sport up they took the plunge. If I could do that for them with the road bikes then I should be able to do the same with the mountain bikers. I figured I could ask them to sell me the bike 10% over cost and I would guarantee that I would be out on the trails wearing there bike shop gear promoting there bike and be free advertising for them. I really doubt it's going to work but I'm a hands on, face to face person so I really want to find a way to buy from my LBS. As much as I want to support them though, the reality is that I'm broke as a joke and just can't pass up a good deal like the IBEX ones if that's what it comes down to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.