Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
I bought my bike as a 1x9 so I put some tape on the stay. I kept it on, when I made it SS. I still want to keep the option open to turn it back to 1X9.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, added one to the Rockhopper.

Why? Because I bought a pack of protective patches for the Sirrus, and it came with a chainstay sticker too. Pretty thick material, roughish outer surface, it actually looks quite nice on the bike. Though its already dinged up some I just figured, why not?

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
Uh... I have the remains of one on the singlespeed, nothing on the road bike, of course. The stay protector just got shredded after a while of riding, and I never took it cleanly off or replaced it or anything... And now that I converted to singlespeed, it isn't needed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
For ss I don't think you need one. On my yeti it came with the frame. Ellsworth too has one when you buy the frame

·
Registered
259 Posts
Not on the SS, but maybe I should because I always remove paint from seat stays and chain stays with my duck-footed feet. I'd have to put it on the outside of the stay, of course, as opposed to the top (assuming a stick-on protector)

But contrary to one poster above, I do have on on my road bike, though I question its usefulness on a raw Ti frame.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Nope...

I find that the 29" SS has such a clearance that if I approach an obstacle that I even THINK may bash my expensive Middlebun ring, I'll dismount.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I currently have one on my SS but only because the EBB kept slipping. Seems like it is set up properly, so the protector will get removed after another ride or two.

·
Registered
579 Posts
direneed said:
I currently have one on my SS but only because the EBB kept slipping. Seems like it is set up properly, so the protector will get removed after another ride or two.
Huh?

No stay protector on the SS, only missing paint from a slide down the granite.

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
No. This question is almost like asking if you have extra gears on your singlespeed... er, nevermind. Forget I typed that... ;)

·
Registered
835 Posts
My SS road bike came with one; it blends in perfectly with the paint and is pretty much invisible though, so I've never felt compelled to take it off.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Chapped (o) Hole said:
Huh?

No stay protector on the SS, only missing paint from a slide down the granite.
No missing paint. Just a little missing skin. Someone at work asked about whether they make pads or protective gear for such mtb'ing mishaps. I said I'd rather be missing skin.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
14,661 Posts
direneed said:
No missing paint. Just a little missing skin. Someone at work asked about whether they make pads or protective gear for such mtb'ing mishaps. I said I'd rather be missing skin.
Way to man up. :thumbsup:

--sParty

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
I use Lizard Skins on all my stays... both chain and seat stays. That way I don't look like any other SSer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts