Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 421 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to create a thread where people could come to gather that have a Pinion gearbox bike. Sharing experiences, sharing tips and tricks and of course show your bike. There are a bunch of threads that are on German sites which kinda makes sense since its a German made product. But I have not been able to find a thread that is in English where anybody that has a Pinion gearbox bike can chime in and share. This is not a thread for derailleurs vs. gearbox. I myself have just ordered a Cheetah Mountain Spirit Enduro with a Pinion gearbox. Unfortunately it's a bit late due to my color choice of purple ano. :madmax:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice rig I have always had a soft spot for Nicolai. Do you find that the 18 gears are to much. What kind of riding style do you have.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately My new Bike has not come in yet but I can post her specs:

Enduro Mountain Spirit 27.5 2014
Frame Size - S
Wheel size - 650B front and rear
Rear Shock - RockShox Monarch Plus RC3 170mm Travel
Fork - RockShox PIKE RCT3 2P 160/130mm 15mm ML Tapered
Brakes - Avid Elixir 5 200/180mm*
Wheels - Pinion Hubs H.1*/Mavic EN321d
Tires - Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35
Headset - Cheetah Lola Tapered
Stem - Truvativ Holzfeller 50mm Black
Handlebar - Truvativ Hussefelt OS 700mm/40mm Rise
Seatpost - RS ! Reverb Stealth 420mm
Saddle - SDG Bel-Air RL schwarz
Cranks - Pinion P1.18 30T
Gearbox - Pinion Getriebe Pinion P1.18 Color Purple
Shifter - Pinion Drehgriff Color Purple
Cassette - Pinion 32
Frame Color - RAL 7000
Decals - White
Finish - Glossy

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many miles do you think you have put on her so far. Also did it take you long to get used to the box in terms of shifting?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
How many miles do you think you have put on her so far. Also did it take you long to get used to the box in terms of shifting?
It's probably have about 400km on it. It took a few rides to get used to using a gripshift mechanism and decreasing pedalling force to change to and easier gear, but it was really more about timing that decrease in force than doing anything differently to a derailleur system.

I'm hoping the make a lighter weight version with the same number of gears and range. It is a brilliant system.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's probably have about 400km on it. It took a few rides to get used to using a gripshift mechanism and decreasing pedalling force to change to and easier gear, but it was really more about timing that decrease in force than doing anything differently to a derailleur system.

I'm hoping the make a lighter weight version with the same number of gears and range. It is a brilliant system.
And hopefully you can just swap it out with the one you have.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, that is a interesting gear box :) would you mind to explain how it work and can it be use on any bike ? I dont understand german. Many thanks :)
Ok so here is the basics. The pinion gearbox has 18 gears housed in a single box. The box sits in the middle of the frame. As with pretty much all gearboxes the frame has to be purpose built (see photo):

Photograph White Line Light Metal

Shifting is done via a twist shifter. I know a lot of people prefer triggers, I personally don't care as long as it works. The reason behind the twister from what I know is the fact that there is no counter force pulling the cable. With a derailleur the spring in the derailleur pulls the cable tight. The gearbox doesn't have that and thus a trigger is currently not available. However things may change this Eurobike as they are showing a bunch of new stuff.

Unlike some of the gearboxes this one will actually let you shift under load. Meaning you can shift whilst peddling. I think crank1979 is better at explaining if that is indeed the case. From what I have read on the internet it can be done but not with the force you may know when using a derailleur.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I saw that too. I'm curious if the new ones will fit on bikes with then 18 spd. version. A lighter version of the 18 would be nice. I think they first way to do it would be to make an enclosure that is made ouyt of a lighter material

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
So, the Pinion gearbox is controlled by a cable-actuated gripshifter, which controls crank resistance?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Interesting. Why does it require idler pulleys?

It would seem to be a perfect application for a carbon belt drive. They show a belt drive in their brochure.

How much weight does it add to a bike?

1 - 20 of 421 Posts