Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've convinced myself I want a FS trail bike. I don't, however, have any money to get one right now. So I was looking at a frame, maybe used. I've got a hardtail, a 2018 lower build, and added a dropper and a nice fork. So the fork and drivetrain and handlebars and dropper and brakes could all come over. But the wheelset is not up to code nor the right tire size for most today-bikes (it's 27.5+ and has a QR141 rear hub). It could stay with the hardtail frame, and it could get back its original fork and seat post, and wait for the kids to get big enough or be a DJ bike or something.

This made me think - I'm not really thinking of the bike as a single item here. I've got a few nice things and few things that are getting replaced as they wear out or my interests change or I find an amazing deal. They still all bolt together but I'm not invested in its current form.

Do you have a bike or do you have parts?

·
MTBR Member since 2001...
202 Posts
@Darth Lefty,
I own a bike, just one now. My wife's Specialized FSR doesn't count 😄. Had 3 before. Parts, had those too. Always just one or two pieces away from add frame, build, and instant bike. I've since sold and donated anything that I didn't have an immediate use for.

What I have left fits my current bike. Basic maintenance and repair stuff. I still have all my tools.
If you have a bike ride it. Put a deposit down on a FS and start saving. It will be a while anyway.

Chances are you will spent more in time and money sourcing parts than just buying a complete bike.

·
Uncle
4,328 Posts
wide range of wide range cassettes
a grip of handlebars
a bar full of grips
too many cranks to turn by myself
need to peddle some of my spare pedals
a few extra tires for when my current ones get tired

Yeah... parts

·
Rippin da fAt
9,052 Posts
Parts bin builds are the best recycling a bloke can do! I have two that are just that, raid the bins, look at the frame and lay out those parts with a plan forming. Some of those parts required some overhaul. Two components, both faulty however, combining the parts that are viable, I come up with a remanufactured component that is useable. Escaped the LBS one more time. There have been a few raids committed on the bins at the LBS along the way too. It is a bin build...
Most of my collection has been all new parts cobbled together but a couple have been the bin build.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I typically build from the frame up, so it always starts with a collection of parts. If I buy a complete, it usually gets stripped down and re-built and the original parts sold off. However the parts are obtained each with a specific purpose, so I don't just buy or re-use random parts unless they fit with the end goal. I also typically spend a long time sourcing parts because I don't want to pay full price so I wait for deals. The end result is always a well thought out bike, not just a collection of random parts.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a bike but I wish I had started with parts instead. I bought complete because I was basically starting from zero after a long period of not riding, but the OEM parts have proven to be woefully fragile and I've had to replace a lot more than I expected, quicker than I expected. That said, upgrading gradually was always something I enjoyed.

·
Registered
149 Posts
One bike atm, and a spec stumpy c frame 2019 in my appartment which seem impossible to sell here atm xD

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
12,980 Posts
Why Parts! ?

Because I'm too particular when it comes to bikes. About everything -- function, durability, ergonomics, style/fashion, even brand loyalty.
I want this dropper lever, that saddle, those tires, that dropper, this stem. Ad infinitum.
Every complete bike I've ever purchased, I've immediately begun replacing components.
The take-off components go into the parts bin, from which they'll never be resurrected because... they're not what I prefer.
So in the end, it's actually less expensive for me to buy a frame and build it up from scratch.
Using hand picked parts.
And then... occasionally even those hand picked parts get upgraded as something newer & better comes along.

In any case, I choose to ride a bike I love. Buy once, cry once. We only live once.
=sParty

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
40,768 Posts
Why Parts! ?

Because I'm too particular when it comes to bikes. About everything -- function, durability, ergonomics, style/fashion, even brand loyalty.
I want this dropper lever, that saddle, those tires, that dropper, this stem. Ad infinitum.
Every complete bike I've ever purchased, I've immediately begun replacing components.
The take-off components go into the parts bin, from which they'll never be resurrected because... they're not what I prefer.
So in the end, it's actually less expensive for me to buy a frame and build it up from scratch.
Using hand picked parts.
And then... occasionally even those hand picked parts get upgraded as something newer & better comes along.

In any case, I choose to ride a bike I love. Buy once, cry once. We only live once.
=sParty
And to think, all these years I admired your sensible thinking.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,711 Posts
Parts! Generally designed, or at least intended, to be swappable... I haven't bought a bike in years, anymore it's frames.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The last 3 have all been parts bikes from frame up. I grew tired of OEM crap, especially hubs(put Shimano in there as well never again), catastrophically breaking.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts