Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my buddies was (a long time ago) making fun of me for having such a high regard for the bicycle bell. New riding partners would also joke, "where's the ice cream?"

But now again, on my new bike I'm looking for the best spot to install one. :D

How many of you have a ding ding ding bell on your mountain bike? Where do you have it installed? Within easy reach of your right thumb?

I'm thinking maybe upside down this time on my handlebar...
Product Light Metal Circle Silver

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see no harm.
You see "no harm?" What kind of perspective is that? Of course there's no harm. How can a bell harm any soul? Maybe making certain species of bird poop uncontrollably?

J/K

The reason is that my descents are often fast with blind corners. Surely I never go over any speed limits ;) , but coming up from behind hikers and dog-walkers are common. I'm often in the lead, too, so ding ding ding.

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts
Yes of course. I'm sure you also have a tall fluorescent flag pole on your coaster seat.
Are you spying on my bike? WTF?!!! I have sparkly paint too, to go with my purple handle bar tassles. My favorite part is the coaster hand brake, so I can skid all over the trail and do 360s on the ground.

I do not have a bell like that. I find yelling to be more effective...or screaming like a little girl. I do carry a bear bell now and then, so I jingle. It's not nearly as loud as those super bells though.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have one...left side, I don't use that shifter as much. I think it is more effective than calling out. I think most hikers these days respond better to the bell.
My rule for ringing bell:
1. coming up from behind hikers, dog walkers, etc. (people on foot)
2. coming up fast from behind slow riders, like in descents

No need to ring bell:
3. coming in front of hikers, dog walkers, etc. (unless they clearly dont' see you)
4. most situations with other riders

DO NOT RING BELL:
5. if there are horses! (they seem to prefer human voice)

Then there are bovines where I ride. So maybe I have to upgrade to this. The label says it all:
Logo Carmine Maroon Label Material property

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
I have bells on each of my bike because we ride on multi-use trails here. They are just mounted to the handlebar within reach of my thumb. I also migged up a bolt/nut setup so I can mount a bell to the headset preload bolt.

·
Banned
2,033 Posts
I have one...left side, I don't use that shifter as much. I think it is more effective than calling out. I think most hikers these days respond better to the bell.
Agree, left side ... Also, when getting some pavement spin in, I sometimes run across situations like freeway overpasses, where space is very limited.
Ring the bell, slow way down, and say thank you as I pass ... Especially if it's a little old lady.

·
Gumnut Peddler
368 Posts
I have a bell on my hard trail, which I also use to tow the kids around in their trailer.
If I am on my XC bike, then I just use the rear hub for making a bit of racket when approaching hikers/slow riders and a polite 'excuse me' and 'thanks' if they still don't get the gist of what is happening. Unfortunately even with all of the above, some people just have no idea.

·
Banned
2,033 Posts
I actually have two, on handlebar mounted to deal with hikers and a bear bell that is hanging under the saddle when going deep in the woods.
357 Magnum for 4 legged things that get agressive, but I'd carry more, if I biked in bear country ... And with the exception of a rabid animal, I'm more concerned with the 2 legged type of back country animal, anyway ;)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Incredibells on all but the road bike. Just a friendly heads up when I find myself on multi-use trails. You also might be surprised how often people will move over for you during a race after a bell ring : )

1 - 20 of 191 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.