Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...or do you just use the screw on bolts? Just wondering if I should go out and buy a locking pin so i can go ride without worrying about someone taking off with my rack. :(

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I use the bolt on my Sportworks rack and

no one's even loosened it, let alone stolen the rack. They had some goofy cable lock available but figured that anyone who's willing to steal a rack and/or bikes probably has bolt cutters. I garage my vehicle but I've not taken the rack off the vehicle since the day I installed it. I leave it at trailheads a lot; but I've been lucky so far and not even had a break in but once at night in Golden Gate Park in a dark area (and they stole only a backpack with some old winter bike clothes...they left other choice stuff sitting there...gotta wonder sometimes). I do wonder tho if anyone's had one stolen and hopefully they'll share where and how long it was parked and if any bikes went with it...

When I have bikes on the rack and the vehicle is unattended, I do use a cable lock but I guess you could still steal my rack, but that would be pretty hard to handle I think.

·
Ride lots...
891 Posts
I bought a locking pin from my LBS for $9 when I bought the rack. I do lock the bikes on the rack if I have to leave them unattended. I too have never taken the rack off since I put it on. Seems to make the most sense to me. $9 for a locking pin or double that for a cable lock?? I'll go with the locking pin. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Bolt on

RiDE said:
...or do you just use the screw on bolts? Just wondering if I should go out and buy a locking pin so i can go ride without worrying about someone taking off with my rack. :(
I found the bolt helped the hitch stability. It would take a conscious effort to carry the adequate size wrench to remove the hitch. Never had a problem (knock on wood).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mostly use the locking "bolt" on our sportworks rack---it's got the stability of the bolt with a lock. It makes it just a bit harder for anyone to attempt to steal the rack and gives me peace of mind.

·
Registered
11,716 Posts
i do..

RiDE said:
The investment isnt much and the security is nice.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
RiDE said:
Locking bolt for my Sportworks Mod extension. $13 at Supergo on sale (my dumb luck). actually easier and cleaner to install/remove than the stock bolt with the "keyring" safety that needed to be inserted into a hole at the end of the shank.

Used a locking pin previously (non-threaded) on my Hollywood.

Can't say I've ever had a problem with theft, but if the thought has crossed my mind when I see someone else's nice $500+ 4-bike rack setup (it has, please don't think any less of me), then you know some scumbag who would actually act on it is only a turn of a 3/4" wrench away from having your sh_t.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
RiDE said:
Thanks guys :)

I think I'll go spring for the sportworks as all the locking pins i've seen do not keep the hitch stable as much a normal bolt does.
If that was your question (locking bolt versus locking pin), then yes, you definitely need to stick with a bolt. The only reason I could use a non-threaded locking pin on my Hollywood was because it had an anti-wobble wedge and no threaded hole. I'm sure Sportworks would tell you that your hitch has to be secured with a bolt, locking or not.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
RiDE said:
I use the bolt with the lock, just as Speedub Nate shows. I also leave the cable wound around the rack and locked. No problems so far, but without the lock and cable, someone can remove the bike trays from the hitch even if the hitch is locked.

Walt

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Walt Dizzy said:
someone can remove the bike trays from the hitch even if the hitch is locked.
That's a very good point -- with my Mod series tray, it just a matter of removing two bolts instead of one. With my Hollywood, it was as simple as removing the main pivot bolt and the whole assembly was there for the taking.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Speed�b Nate said:
That's a very good point -- with my Mod series tray, it just a matter of removing two bolts instead of one. With my Hollywood, it was as simple as removing the main pivot bolt and the whole assembly was there for the taking.
Aren't hollywood's main pivot bolts keyed on all models? Looks like a regular allen with a cylinder in the middle usually for one side.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
jci said:
Aren't hollywood's main pivot bolts keyed on all models? Looks like a regular allen with a cylinder in the middle usually for one side.
Might be a "security bit" with a doohickey in the center, but mine (a Team Rider from '99 or '00, I think) definitely isn't keyed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts