Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding a lot at a BMX park, and I was wondering if you guys favored a side to turn to while riding park, like do you air left to right? right to left? or both? Right now I'm just getting the feel of the park, especially hanging out on the vert wall, but I'm realizing that I'm horrible uncomfortable airing left to right, or just turning left to right on the ramps. Do people usually favor a certain side?

·
dirt rules
3,050 Posts
People typically turn to the side their back foot is on. So if you ride left foot forward, you probably feel better turning to the right. I'm guessing you are right foot forward and turn the the left more comfortably. Good riders will go either direction with equal ease. You should practice both ways.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats weird, I ride left foot forward, but turn to the left also, I was talking to a bmx rider today who told me thats odd, and its a good thing I don't ride bmx because my right foot would hit the pegs.

·
is down to roll...
727 Posts
Right to left for me. That goes for wallrides and hips.
I snowboard goofy and rotations are more natural in a counter-clockwise direction.

I agree w/ sd.

I kick righty, and layup lefty (right foot plant). I throw footballs righty but can throw lefty w/ 3/4 accuracy of the right. Oddly, I can't throw baseballs lefty.
-ebR

·
Registered
952 Posts
I feel more comfortable turning left, but having seen many set ups being better to hit right I forced myself to learn how to turn the other way.

Weirdness I like to turn left, but grind better on my left, so I have to turn right on quarters to grind.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Left handed, left footed, and spin either way. Peddle kicking comes from all left foot.

Sidehop both ways, endo sidedrop both ways.

360 exit though- begining of spin on front tire bringing the rear off the bike off the ledge is left, then adding rotation to the right to finish off the manuver.

Wall riding only left side- so right hand is facing the ground.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yep, most people turn in the direction their back foot is on (backside if you were on a skate or snowboard). A friend of mine breaks all the "rules" and busts 10' high airs and turns opposite (left foot forward and turns to left) and he's on a bmx bike.

·
Local Paperboy Hero
986 Posts
Wayndar said:
Yep, most people turn in the direction their back foot is on (backside if you were on a skate or snowboard). A friend of mine breaks all the "rules" and busts 10' high airs and turns opposite (left foot forward and turns to left) and he's on a bmx bike.
Yep, I'm a goofy footer, too. Left foot forward, turn to the left. And, I actually lay down my tables to the left. It's all just what you get used to as a kid. Actually, it works out well for me now because turndowns are to my natural direction. For most people, turndowns are done with bike kicking out and bars turning to their unnatural direction... which is part of the reason they are so difficult.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.