Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, it's an inanimate object, but I've never been so frustrated with my riding.

Yesterday I was having a great day at the bike park. Last run I decide to step up to the black diamond "enduro" trail. I've ridden this trail before with no issues.

So I'm cruising along, and my pedal clips at little wood stump in the middle of the trail and I go flying off my bike. Annoying, but just bad luck. I know what to watch out for in the future.

Got up, dust myself off, took a breather then continued on. As I'm riding along, I feel like something is different with my bike. The suspension felt extra harsh over small bumps. So I get this technical section where I go off a small drop into a turn with some roots. As soon as I go off that drop, all hell breaks loose.

I completely lose control of bike and end up on my back. I scream in frustration. Never felt so frustrated on my bike before. Like all of a sudden I was having the worst time on my bike. I'm furious at myself and my bike. I'm literally yelling at my bike, "what is wrong with you?!"

So for the rest of way, I have no confidence left in my bike or in myself and baby it all the way down.

Now I'm trying to figure out, was I already mentally screwed after first crash, or is it possible for fork to stop performing correctly?

·
jcd's best friend
3,412 Posts
Sounds like a one time occurrence. Personally, I'd brush it off and press on. There will be good days and bad days on the bike. I've found that if I mountain bike too much, I become more stressed out over little things I encounter on the trail. I typically ride 3 out of 4 seasons here in WA. In the summers, I remedy my mountain biking intoxication by switching to road cycling because it's completely opposite from mountain biking. Plus my trails are blown out everywhere in the summer! While on my road bike, i work on building my endurance and cardio. Not to mention, I've seen some really awesome things that people usually miss while driving a car down the road.

It sounds like you could use some mountain biking detox like me.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I usually get mad at myself more than anything else as I am the one in some sort of control and make the decisions where I am riding. But I do understand as I too have the need to take my frustrations out on occasion when riding but then I remember I could be at work instead and that usually does it for me.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a one time occurrence. Personally, I'd brush it off and press on. There will be good days and bad days on the bike. I've found that if I mountain bike too much, I become more stressed out over little things I encounter on the trail. I typically ride 3 out of 4 seasons here in WA. In the summers, I remedy my mountain biking intoxication by switching to road cycling because it's completely opposite from mountain biking. Plus my trails are blown out everywhere in the summer! While on my road bike, i work on building my endurance and cardio. Not to mention, I've seen some really awesome things that people usually miss while driving a car down the road.

It sounds like you could use some mountain biking detox like me.
Thanks for the tip. I think I'll drop off my bike at the shop to have them inspect if anything needs to corrected and i'll switch to my road bike for a week and enjoy the summer evenings.

·
Registered
2017 Transition Smuggler XL
1,079 Posts
No, never. BTW it is possible that during the first crash the suspension controls moved and fork or shock was not in open or trail position anymore, but instead in locked position. Check the suspension controls and make sure that they are in correct position.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Last time I got super angry was trying to remove a tubless tire. I could not break the bead. I was so pissed I was getting mad at my cat for meowing at me. I eventually cut the tire off. It felt so damn good.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
not at the bike but certainly I've experienced the frustration you mention. my advice is to step down to an easier trail that you enjoy and build your confidence back up. most likely it's not your equipment but it doesn't hurt to check.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,092 Posts
I often get angry at my bike and yell at it because it’s not a carbon enduro suspended large wheel new geometry wonder bike. It doesn’t understand and just keeps on performing as designed.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
I used to get angry with my bike fairly often. Then, I threw the SRAM brakes into the trash and put XTs on. Not angry with that bike anymore!
X2, brotha.

Angry with my bike? Never. Well, several times. Ok, many times. One time I threw it off a cliff in frustration. I always say, a poor worker blames his tools.

·
U sayin' Bolt ?
1,364 Posts
I have been getting angry ON the bike recently. I live in the fastest growing city in WA state. They are building endless rows of houses on what used to be farms. Anyway, all these people drive massive SUVs and pass extremely close to me on the road. I have yelled " F-ing B!" More times in the last few months than I ever have in my life. Feels good though :thumbsup:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Anytime I get a mechanical I get mad.

Last time I got mad was when I got a flat. I had a tube and everything to fix it, what I did not have was an allen key for through axle.

I had to hike 5 kms back home, changed the tube and then road back and finished the trail.

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
I watched a friend throw his bike against a tree in anger once. It didn't break.
One year while riding Mag7 in Moab, a guy I was riding with OTB on a small drop. He got pissed and threw his bike into a bush.

Another time while riding a local trail, I passed a guy on the side of the trail with a mechanical issue. I asked if he needed assistance. He didn't answer. I keep riding and as I was about 10 yards from him, he threw his bike into a brush.

As for myself, I've crashed many times and got the scars to prove it. Never in any of those times have I remotely thought about getting mad at the bike. It was due to lack of skill that caused the crash, not due to the bike.

Just last weekend I cased a table top, leaned too far back, rear tire caught my shorts and promptly jammed my nuts into the back of the seat. I quickly stopped, pulled over, laid the bike down gently, and then laid on my back on the ground gasping for air in agony. For a couple minutes I couldn't talk. Couldn't answer my friend's questions on what happened.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
I was so angry at my bike once that I didn't ride it for over 5 years. Those were the worst 5 years of my life.

Moral of the story, love your bike

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.