Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have already read this post on the Northern California thread please disregard. Someone on that thread suggested that the Downhill thread would be a better place to ask the question.

While doing a climb on the Sulfur Springs trail on Saturday I came up with a new idea. My idea was to do a re-route from the bottom of the really steep (last 150 yards) sectiion over to the top of the Braille trail. If a fun sustainable trail could get approved and built would you be inclined to ride the new route?

From what I can tell the first two hundred yards of the bypass trail would be the difficult build section but after that it would be a piece of cake. The trail would be mostly uphill but for the most part less than a 10% grade. Some sections would be somewhat downhill.

The approved work would only done by one or two individuals who have nothing better to do than build a really cool bypass trail. It seems like with the increased popularity of the Corral trail the bypass trail would make the Sulphur more enjoyable climb for old and out of shape riders like me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JrockFeltaz said:
dude, the climb is not that bad.
Hey Jrock:

Thanks for responding. Just for the record how much does the current bike you ride up Sulphur weigh, how old are you and what do you weigh. Your profile says your a cross country rider. I want to get an idea how wimpy I am.

Thanks

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
John Finch said:
Hey Jrock:

Thanks for responding. Just for the record how much does the current bike you ride up Sulphur weigh, how old are you and what do you weigh. Your profile says your a cross country rider. I want to get an idea how wimpy I am.

Thanks
I don't think bike weight has anything to do with that climb. I don't think you need a freeride bike in the demo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jrock:

Thanks for the response, it was kinda what I expected. What are the biggest drops to flat that you are doing on your bike? Just kinda getting an idea what kinda freeride guy or gal you are.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I'm sure it would be used (by most riders). Haven't read the post on the Nor-cal Forum, but I can imagine the replies. That top section, especially during the Summer is a SOB. Check with the "Stuarts of SDF", or volunteer for one of their trail maintenance days.

Jrock, anytime you want to ride my 42t (chain ring, sorry no granny), 40 plus pound bike up wearing a full-face helmet, ...let me know. You might not want to ride a free ride bike at demo, but that doesn't mean that others don't. Also, most of us old fat, out of shape dudes were doing jumps at demo, back before you were old enough to jump from a school bus.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Tim F. said:
I'm sure it would be used (by most riders). Haven't read the post on the Nor-cal Forum, but I can imagine the replies. That top section, especially during the Summer is a SOB. Check with the "Stuarts of SDF", or volunteer for one of their trail maintenance days.

Jrock, anytime you want to ride my 42t (chain ring, sorry no granny), 40 plus pound bike up wearing a full-face helmet, ...let me know. You might not want to ride a free ride bike at demo, but that doesn't mean that others don't. Also, most of us old fat, out of shape dudes were doing jumps at demo, back before you were old enough to jump from a school bus.
you were running a 42T when going up solstice??? Ooooooo... explains a lot... Btw, when we doing Pacifica? Hahahaha

·
Less yappin, more Brappin
789 Posts
John Finch said:
. If a fun sustainable trail could get approved and built would you be inclined to ride the new route?
The approved work would only done by one or two individuals who have nothing better to do than build a really cool bypass trail. It seems like with the increased popularity of the Corral trail the bypass trail would make the Sulphur more enjoyable climb for old and out of shape riders like me.
New trail at Demo? Hell yea!
I dont have to build it or pay more in state taxes for the CDF to build it? Even better!

Would I ride it if it was built? Probably, but I find more satisfaction in cleaning that last steep section every time. I might ride it if I were tired.

I think it would be a long, uphill (NPI) process to get something like this approved, but if youre willing to put all your effort into it then go for it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
RobsterCraw said:
Demo is certainly a good area for All mountain bikes. The thing I dislike about climbing Sulfur Springs is that Ridge Trail is half the fun up there.
Climb Coral instead, you won't get all of Sulfur Springs, but still lots of fast twisty, and technical sections. My favorite the the rutted up root, and rock section before the helipad,

FYI, didn't mean to flame you the "....Northstar" post. Occured to me after posting, some people might get offended by getting called "Dip Sh*t". Sorry dude, my bad. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
mrpercussive said:
you were running a 42T when going up solstice??? Ooooooo... explains a lot... Btw, when we doing Pacifica? Hahahaha
Been expiermenting with a 44t lately, mostly riding to and from work, all road, a few 2-3 ft hucks along the way in a business park, and a few easy up-hills. Haven't had a chance to try it off road yet, car is in the shop having clutch rebuilt.lets get togather and ride again soon, big group ride. :thumbsup:

·
493 Posts
I climb SSprings. 42lb bike (fully) or 38lb dirt jump-esque hardtail that has a 32 single. I do clean it. I also kind of like the singletrack coming off the helipad, so I would be disinclined to support a "bail out"option. The last section is what makes SSprings memorable and challenging anyways. Other than that it's pretty booooooooring.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Living in Switzerland and frequenting Whistler has opened by eyes to what (DH) mountain biking can be. There are so many mountains out here that have lifts to the top, and with the snow receding year by year, they are more and more open to bikes. A part of my heart remains in NorCal, and in particular Demo. The DH at Demo (Sawpit my fav) is so nice. But I never had the right bike for it. My DH bike was too squishy to climb out without issue, and my XC bike would get me with extremely dangerous levels of arm pump by the end of my second loop. If only it was suffieciently shuttleable.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i've climbed it, not too bad. I have a dj hardtail, and some of my buddies are on trek fuel 9.0's and stuff, those are xc/am trails, i think its a joke that demo is now considered a 6-8.5 inch ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.