Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While doing a climb on the Sulfur Springs trail on Saturday I came up with a new idea. My idea was to do a re-route from the bottom of the really steep sectiion over to the top of the Braille trail. If a fun sustainable trail could get approved and built would you be inclined to ride the new route?

From what I can tell the first two hundredyards would be the difficult build section but after that it would be a piece of cake. The trail would be mostly uphill but for the most part less than a 10% grade. Some sections would be somewhat downhill.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
If you're referring to the steep section at the very top of Sulfur Springs.... What's the point? 100 more yards of climbing and you're back on the great Ridge Trail. The steep sectin at the end is a good test of endurance. It sucks... unless you clean it:thumbsup:

Are you talking about a different steep section?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blue Shorts said:
If you're referring to the steep section at the very top of Sulfur Springs.... What's the point? 100 more yards of climbing and you're back on the great Ridge Trail. The steep sectin at the end is a good test of endurance. It sucks... unless you clean it:thumbsup:

Are you talking about a different steep section?
Blue:

Yes that's the section I am talking about.

Since a lot of the people I ride with are riding 35 lb. plus bikes some of them end up walking that section.

You obviously wouldn't want to do a new re-route to the top of Braille since you really enjoy the Ridge trail to the top of Braille. I think the re-route could potentially be a better trail since it would be designed with mountain biking in mind.

·
YESBRO!!!
1,162 Posts
i for one welcome our new XC overlords.

i enjoy cleaning the top of that climb, when i can, conditions permitting. then again i'm on a 27.5lb bike, and i'm weak.

that being said if you can get more trails built, i'll help, too.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
That's not a bad idea at all and certainly is not new. Having suffered many times on that climb, a somewhat gentler and SINGLE way up would be cool. I also like many of your ideas for the Corral trail. I'll always remember my first descent on Upper Corral. Steep and rutted. Time to hang on and not hit a tree while at it. If you could extend it out with a new route and avoid the fireroad, all the better. Would it be feasible to have both a new and the old route down? Although the process is painfully slow, some good changes and additions will come to Demo if all parties involved work together and not apart.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I may not be actively seeking a re-route, but I'm not against it.:)

Any new legal singletrack in Demo would be great. :thumbsup: I'd love to see a new singletrack graded for climbing from the bottom (between Braille and Sulfur Springs) to the top near the Demo entrance.

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,463 Posts
The Stewards of Soquel have long be trying to get a better climbing route for us. Something that would start at the bottom of Sulphur and work its way up to the Ridge Trail. I don't remember how far it went, but I suspect it would have to at least cross Braille before making it all the way up. Might be good to check in with them - either to see what they are doing, or see if they will help you on this as a way to complete their goal.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
John Finch said:
While doing a climb on the Sulfur Springs trail on Saturday I came up with a new idea. My idea was to do a re-route from the bottom of the really steep sectiion
Anyone else remember when that section was basically a pretty rutty single track?

Maybe you can reopen the old Blair Witch trail as an eaiser climb up ;)

Edit to add: A little suffering and challenge is good, why make things easier? My vote is No.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
singlespeed.org said:
The Friends of Soquel have long be trying to get a better climbing route for us. Something that would start at the bottom of Sulphur and work its way up to the Ridge Trail. I don't remember how far it went, but I suspect it would have to at least cross Braille before making it all the way up. Might be good to check in with them - either to see what they are doing, or see if they will help you on this as a way to complete their goal.
singlespeed thanks for the update. It would be interesting to find out why the FoS has not built a better climbing route, but since it hasn't been done my idea might get done quicker. I don't think there have been any new trails built in demo only reroutes.

The bypass trail I am talking about is not that big a project and if we could get Ed's approval it might be a good idea if enough people think they would ride it. I have built other bypass trails (i.e. Bandit at Waterdog) that the local volunteers didn't like and now the trail is very popular. Sometimes you have to think out of the box to get things done.

All I am trying to do is see if there are any people who ride up Sulfur that might take a nice bypass trail to eliminate the last two steep climb sections. The main people who might be interested are going to be those who ride the new and improved Corral trail.

When someone votes no on such an idea I am not sure what they are voting against. Are they saying no I will never ride a bypass like that no matter how old I get even when I am 60 or even if I am not in as good of shape as I use to be.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Just do not see the need for another cut through the forest when there's a perfectly good trail there already. Building a new trail when basically the soul purpose is to allow people who ride Heavy Freerides to peddle the hill is just silly. Why not just start up a shuttle service or put in a tram so we do not even have to work for it at all and really tear up the trails. I really hate the menallity out there that just wants to make everything eaisier, I've seen to much of this over the years.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
I have ridden up Sufferin' Springs and yes a single track reroute would be sweet. But the question needs to be asked: what is wrong with riding up Tractor? After all it is what passes for single track (overgrown double track skid trail for the most part). Most serious riders don't seem to bother with riding down Tractor, so I'm guessing downhill traffic must be lighter than the other trails down from the ridge.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I would welcome a new trail to reach the Ridge Tr. When I ride in from Aptos, I often take Ridge to Corral to the bottom of Sulpher. To get back up to Ridge trail and then back down to Aptos, this would make a nice loop.

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
Tractor is my usual climb...

29erchico said:
But the question needs to be asked: what is wrong with riding up Tractor?
I think I end up climbing Tractor at least once on every Demo ride. Whats the benefit of heading up Sulfer exactly?

Anyways, I'm always in favor of new singletrack as long as its done right. :thumbsup:

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
29erchico said:
I have ridden up Sufferin' Springs and yes a single track reroute would be sweet. But the question needs to be asked: what is wrong with riding up Tractor? After all it is what passes for single track (overgrown double track skid trail for the most part). Most serious riders don't seem to bother with riding down Tractor, so I'm guessing downhill traffic must be lighter than the other trails down from the ridge.
Not trying to argue, just offering a perspective.

I don't like it when we ride up tractor, and every time i do it(always part of a group concensus) i feel sorry for anyone going down tractor. It is a super fast/fun downhill trail. There are so many cons about this one, let alone chance for head ons.
If I'm going up tractor, i'm working my ass off and won't want to stop/pull over at a drop of a hat. Yet, if I'm coming down tractor, i'm having so much fun, I don't want to slow down or stop at a drop of a hat either.

Yes, most serious riders do skip tractor. Not everyone out at demo is there to have a serious day sometimes. I may bring folks to try out demo, and we'll be going down tractor if it is their first time. I may bomb down, and they follow.

Moreover, once you get to the top of tractor, if you're not going down sawpit, then you're RIDING THE REVERSE way on Ridge. That part of Ridge is for sure a good chance for head ons.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
benja55 said:
I think I end up climbing Tractor at least once on every Demo ride. Whats the benefit of heading up Sulfer exactly?

Anyways, I'm always in favor of new singletrack as long as its done right. :thumbsup:
How many times a month do you ride Corral? The main reason for a new bypass trail is that once you drop Braille or Corral you can ride up Sulfur to ride either Braille or Sawpit. If you have a heavier bike or are out of shape a Sulfur to Braille bypass trail would make it possibly more enjoyable, especially if someone were to get approval and they just went out and built the thing and all you were required to do was ride it to harden the tread.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
rensho said:
Moreover, once you get to the top of tractor, if you're not going down sawpit, then you're RIDING THE REVERSE way on Ridge. That part of Ridge is for sure a good chance for head ons.
Good point, had not thought about that, as I have always hung a right on Ridge at the top of Tractor.

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,463 Posts
John Finch said:
When someone votes no on such an idea I am not sure what they are voting against. Are they saying no I will never ride a bypass like that no matter how old I get even when I am 60 or even if I am not in as good of shape as I use to be.
Aren't you already 60? ;) I know you've been AARPing it for a while...

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.