Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course you do. Especially when its hot and you are dehydrated and you are a long ways from "certified tap" or bottled water. I alway wonder how many anal or germ freaks there are out there who dont or wont drink stream water even when they are dehydrated or have to pop in an iodine pill or chlorine. I am going riding today and I am going to drink some more cold clear mountain water-no filters, etc. Once again I am jeopardizing my health for the 10,000th time.
Ok germ freaks its roll call time.:)

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,854 Posts
Giardia is no joke.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
we carry a water filter when we do mountain trails; it's no fun running out of water on a hot day..... like he said, giardia is no joke. Humans are no joke either. I've seen enough piles of poo close enough to "clear cold mountain streams" to have my mind pretty set to NOT ever drink out of them.

formica

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
borregokid said:
Of course you do. Especially when its hot and you are dehydrated and you are a long ways from "certified tap" or bottled water. I alway wonder how many anal or germ freaks there are out there who dont or wont drink stream water even when they are dehydrated or have to pop in an iodine pill or chlorine. I am going riding today and I am going to drink some more cold clear mountain water-no filters, etc. Once again I am jeopardizing my health for the 10,000th time.
Ok germ freaks its roll call time.:)
I would - dehydration is now and very serious, giardia is tomorrow and curable.

I have taken a drink from a cold clear mountain spring.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,854 Posts
pacman said:
giardia is tomorrow and curable.
Well, it's also fairly resistant.

Just the fact that people think "clear" means it's "ok" is interesting.

Just because I draw the line at some point doesn't make me a germ freak. Always carry more supplies than you think you'll need in that kind of terrain, or carry a filter.

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
pack an msr mini-works water filter. light and compact enough to bring on every ride. we use it to refill the camelbaks on hot, humid kansas days. the water that we start with is from a reservoir...clearish, but I trust the filter to do its job. and I think it does. one of the most important tools to carry.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'll drink from a spring, but that's about it. I've had giardia before, and it was a miserable week, but not the end of the world. It was from swimming anyway. I've never had it after drinking from a spring, as I choose my sources carefully.

·
Registered
49 Posts
our local watershed supplies us with natural spring water .............love...British Clumbia.....Canada Rocks.......:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
I have when it's been direly needful. Though I also now carry a small sealed metal vial in the bladder pouch of my pack with a dozen or so iodine tabs. Won't kill everything, and won't filter, but it's better than nothing if needing to fill up the bladder at an uncertain water source.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Bought one of these. Haven't got to use it yet.

Exstream Bottle Purifier

The only EPA registered purificaton bottle that removes ALL types of organisms, including viruses.
Lightweight, simple design fits into standard water bottle holders. Ideal for dayhikes, international travel, mountain biking, kayaking, etc.
New carry loop for easy attachment to packs, kayaks, etc.

ULTRALIGHT SERIES

Specifications
Purification Method: Virustat Technology plus filtration and carbon
Bottle Capacity: 26 oz (21 oz. after cartridge displacement)
Cartridge Capacity: up to 26 gallons
Weight: 7 oz
Height: 11"

Colors: Yellow, Translucent White, Olive Drab

Attachments

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
forget mtn streams - will you drink from this?

filtered of course.

i'll spare you the closeup of that tank....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok all you "Monk" fans

There are other things that I actually think about that might be worst than stream water. How about a visit to Chuck E. Cheese, a pre-school, grade school, or maybe a trip to the salad bar at Pizza Hut. None of which I really worry too much about except maybe Chuck E. Cheese.:) I have drank from some spring water out in the desert that had a lot of stuff swimming around. Didnt seem too bad-especially when you are suffering from heat exhaustion and have run out of water.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.