Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How often to you do trail work?

• Never (I'm a freeloader)

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Sometimes yearly (I know last year was a mess)

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • 3-4 times a year (I fulfill my obligation)

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • 6-10 times a year (Friend of the trails)

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Monthly (Hero)

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Weekly (Rockstar)

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Moar (Do you even have a day job)

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Irregularly (I put in my time, Just not like cyclical)

Votes: 10 14.3%
61 - 62 of 62 Posts
I said 3-4 times a year since that is what I've actually done this year. Trailwork days were mostly shut down for COVID and started again seriously in the past few months, but still under fairly strict controls and limits. I've done three events with Santa Cruz Mountains Trail Stewardship at Pogonip and DeLaveaga and a couple on a private trail in a friend's yard. I'm trying to gear up on this. I have chronic lower back issues and hesitated to do trailwork for years. I had ramped up my donations to compensate but this year I decided I just needed to start doing the work. In the end I found the work didn't rile up my back any more than if I took a longish hike.

SCMTS is really good about teaching how to do things, for example upthread there's a post about people cutting off trees and branches and leaving spears beside the trail. In the intro to trailwork class I took, that was one of the things they spent some time on, showing us the proper way to deal with any potentially dangerous branches. They reinforced this when we did trail brushing at another event. The people are really cool too. I have seen none of the attitudes mentioned in some of the posts above.

Reactions: Ogre
61 - 62 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.