Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even if you fall within the recommended weight range for a rim have you found it to be too flexible? Example the ztr crest will handle 190 pounds but some riders at 170 pounds choose the arch. Obviously spoke and wheel builder is just as important but all things being equal have you gone for the heavier rim in a mfg's lineup ( not just stans, I use that only as an example) and is the increase in weight and stiffness noticeable.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Even if you fall within the recommended weight range for a rim have you found it to be too flexible? Example the ztr crest will handle 190 pounds but some riders at 170 pounds choose the arch. Obviously spoke and wheel builder is just as important but all things being equal have you gone for the heavier rim in a mfg's lineup ( not just stans, I use that only as an example) and is the increase in weight and stiffness noticeable.
I have never looked at rim weight limits for my own wheels. I am generally pretty easy on them. But I have had rims/wheels that were flexy and the rims were not necessarily the lighter option.

·
apocalypse MEOW!
31 Posts
For my style of riding, I bought Mavic 819s, even though I could easily have gone with a lighter wheelset. They're super durable, plus, in this case, absolutely no heavier than a supposedly less robust rim like the 719. Best of both worlds, really.

Bottom line, the decision was financial. Makes plenty of sense in theory to take a little weight penalty on wheels because you want to protect the investment, with the bonus of less downtime for maintenance.

By the way, anyone know of a good resource for rim strength ratings? The closest I could come was PWB's custom wheel website.

CUSTOM WHEEL BUILDING PROGRAM you pick it we build it PROWHEELBUILDER

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.