Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my first fatbike... a Growler with 27.5x4.5" tires. I'm wondering- do you usually carry a spare tube in case of a tubeless failure? I do on my other bikes.... but it looks like finding a fatbike tube isn't as easy as I expected it to be.....

·
Registered
740 Posts
Riding my local areas, I never bothered with a spare tube on tubeless fatty. Fast forward as I put a stick through both the tire and the rim strip and only had to walk 2 1/2 miles holding up the ass end of my 36lb fatty.

Now I carry a tube everywhere, along with a small patch kit and levers.

BTW, I converted all my rims from Presta to Schraeder. A Presta tube will fit in a Schraeder rim hole, but a Schraeder tube will not fit in a Presta hole.

Hope this saves you from a long walk.

Reactions: Shark

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,191 Posts
yup

walking bites

·
Registered
68 Posts
Tubes are like umbrellas, if you carry one with you, you'll never need it.

I think it comes down to opportunity cost. Carrying a spare (even if running tubeless) seem to be minimum weight penalty, but that long hike back to your car... That's remarkable steep prices to pay. You'll spend every minute of that hike out thinking about that tube you didn't bring.

Congratulation on the new bike. Go get it dirty!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just an FYI. No need to carry full size (read HEAVY) fat tube. For spares, I use regular 26x2.25 up to 26x4 fat and 29x2.25 up to 26x4.6 fat. I suspect the 29 will go bigger but my fattest tires are 4.6.

·
Registered
95 Posts
No. I carry 2*25g CO2, plugs and a Vittoria tube repair kit (metal tube with room for a chain link and beer money). What I have found is that I either get slow leaks which don't seal (top up from CO2) to get home, or larger cuts which require a tire repair.

If I were riding in a wilderness I might take a tube ... But I'm never far from home and don't mind a walk👌

·
Evolutionsverlierer
1,365 Posts
Not on a fatty but I always have two with me, one for me and one for someone w/o one in need of one.

·
Registered
291 Posts
yep, plus size tube. Like DougA says, it will stretch. That said, one time I broke the valve off my spare tube while installing and still had to walk about 3 miles out. Having that happen after fighting to get the tire back on the rim trailside was a test of my emotional endurance.

·
Rocking on a Rocky
1,637 Posts
I fell for that 29" to as a spare for my 26 inch fat bike wheels and it does not work. It pushes the tire away from the rim and makes it almost impossible to bead up. And as soon as you disconnect the pump the valve stem disappears into the tire. Maybe it won't be so bad on 27.5 but I wouldn't chance it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Having that happen after fighting to get the tire back on the rim trailside was a test of my emotional endurance.
This is why I don't bother with spare tubes on the Fatbike. I installed a tube "incorrectly" and the force of the CO2 inflator, tyre and tube working against each other tore the valve stem off. Another time ... well I had thorns in the tyre and did not remove all of them, guess how I learned that ;)

If I were riding in a wilderness I might take a tube ...
Small correction, I would actually take a spare tyre. Tubes are 50/50 that they will work, and fairly heavy. A spare tyre is more likely to actually work and not that much heavier.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I do carry a tube. Before I went tubeless I put in "light" tubes - which were Specialized 26 X 2.5-3.5 I think. Significantly lighter than the boat anchors that came with the bike - and now less for me carry around as a spare.

COBikeman

·
Thingamejigger
1,229 Posts
Nope. Anchovies/bacon strips and a pump then mix in a spot of good luck. I used to carry a tube but so bulky and heavy that I dont bother these days...

... watch this, next time out I'll rip the side out a tyre!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I figure I am missing something so asking where a tube is needed that a patch kit won't fix the problem? I have a spare fat tube but never carry it. How frequent is the hole or slash large enough a patch can't get you back? The patch kits that vulcanize the rubber seem to hold forever so that is all I carry.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had issues getting patches to stick in the winter, so I just started carrying a tube and never went back. I am old school I suppose in that I still wear a pack, so the tube in of itself is not much of a net change in weight carried.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I carry tire plugs and a spare tube with a hand pump. I am confident if It cant be plugged then I can ride out with a tube installed correctly. Im not hiking with my bike.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts