Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
17,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a quote from another thread below: "I was there 3 weeks ago and rode 48 miles of singletrack in 2 days and saw 2 other bikers total. It was heaven!!" I didn't want to hijack that thread, so I started a new one so I could go off on this tangent.

Does everyone really prefer not seeing any other bikers on the trails? I kind of like the cameraderie and kinship of other riders. Even chatting a moment with another biker as you pass on an epic ride is nice, even just to talk about the weather or trail conditions. Groups rides can be fun, and there's always someone to talk bikes with. Seems like it'd be kind of lonely if you were one of only a handful of bikers in town.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I bike to get away from everything, but then again Im a very solotary person to begin with. Group rides are fun, but that's with your buddies rather than having to slow/stop for x traffic, etc.

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
Nat said:
"Here's a quote from another thread below: "I was there 3 weeks ago and rode 48 miles of singletrack in 2 days and saw 2 other bikers total. It was heaven!!" I didn't want to hijack that thread, so I started a new one so I could go off on this tangent.

Does everyone really prefer not seeing any other bikers on the trails? I kind of like the cameraderie and kinship of other riders. Even chatting a moment with another biker as you pass on an epic ride is nice, even just to talk about the weather or trail conditions. Groups rides can be fun, and there's always someone to talk bikes with. Seems like it'd be kind of lonely if you were one of only a handful of bikers in town.
Im down with that man. I like to see a few peeps here and there. Stop and say hello, trail info, nice bike, blah blah blah. If I was training for a race that would be different. Also, maybe Im just not use to seeing many on the vegas trails:)

Shawn

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I would like to see more people on the trails but where I live it isnt going to happen. I can ride close to 20 miles and never see anyone. The only exception is the weekends when I might see a couple of riders and hunting season when the hunters cruise the road. There is also safety in numbers. When I cracked up last year it was hunters who scraped me off the road and took me to the clinic. If you ride alone its a good idea to let some one know where you are going, also take it a little bit easier, a crash could be a problem.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
I love riding uncrowded trails, with no one else to get in the way. Nothing quite like a solo ride. I can stop and re-ride tech sections and take a rest on the side of the trail and then get going without seeing another soul - Great stuff.

On the other hand I still love riding with others and bumping into people on the trails. Because of the love for riding with others, I usually get together 2-3 times with people for nice big group rides. Last week a ride of 13 in very cold conditions with lights, last night another 8 and today, a good solo ride. Variety is the best!

Trevor!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't mind seeing or talking to fellow bikers on the trails, but at the same time there is nothing better than hitting a local trail on a Sunday morning at about 5:30-6:00 am and having the whole thing to myself, except for the occassional deer I see on the trail.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Yes, I'm a Misanthrope.......

There is a reason I ride solo most of the time. Don't need to talk bikes, just ride them.

I could never be a true roadie as the thought of being 6" off twenty other people's a$$ at 30 mph is not my idea of a good time.

I work in the city. I am around people more than I need to be already. I am not going to go out of my way to be around them during my leisure time.

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
If I want to see people...

I'll drive backto the city. With the exception of the Slatyfork Shuffle, I can honestly say that I can count on two hands the number of other trail users I've encountered in Pocahontas County this season. Bears however, are another story. Of course, the bears were there long before any of us were, and I love to see them, so it works out perfectly for me.

·
Registered
17,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rev Bubba said:
Don't need to talk bikes, just ride them...I am around people more than I need to be already. I am not going to go out of my way to be around them during my leisure time.
Sometimes I feel that way too. Funny that we'd participate in an online discussion group though...

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
I like to see an occasional rider. Surely don't want wall to wall people. But it's good to pass someone by every few miles. I don't mind stopping for a quick chit chat, but I'm really not there for long winded conversations.

It kinda freaks me out when I'm on a remote trail and see or hear no one at all. Especially in thick ceadar patches where it's always darker and quieter. Gives me the willies. Then my mind wonders off to the movie Deliverance. "Squeal like a pig" :eek:

·
-arschloch-
867 Posts
both sides

funnay. when i lived on the east coast i used to be bummed about how few folks there were on the trails. (it depends on location of course, but where i rode it was pretty empty) then when i moved to the front range in colorado, i damned near sh!t myself. the trails were crawling with people. blech. gimme empty trails at my back door anyday.

the only time i wanna see people is when i am gonna do something stupid and then it is my buddies i wanna see with the cameras. :D

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
much rather be "out there"

I like riding in a small group (4-6 riders) or solo. I don't mind running into the occasional other rider, but for the most part, if I'm in the woods, I'd much rather feel like I'm away from the masses. I deal with people all day at work.

The few times I've ridden in larger groups its been difficult. I end up riding in the middle/front of the pack where there is a lot of passing (i.e. I pass them on the tech, they pass me on the hills), which invariably leads to either me or someone else crashing, messing up someone else's line.

John

·
Registered
757 Posts
Personally... I love being on the trails alone.

Around here (Eastern KS & MO), there's sooo many people aroudn that it's just NICE to get the hell away from them. All the hoopla of daily life leaves me, and I become one with my bike and the trails. I absolutely love solo rides. I find that I can hammer when I want, and slow down when I want. Some of my absolute best rides... both mentally and physically have been solo rides. Nobody to slow you down, and nobody to get in the way.
I actually love the alone time. It actually allows me to think with a clear mind.

-Matt

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
Not me...last time I rode where there were no other riders, there were bears. Even yesterday, with a rattlesnake hissing at us, I was a little less worried because there were three riders instead of none. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I don't really want to be kitty food any time soon...

Besides, I enjoy the bike show.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
for me seeing the occaisonal rider is where i'm most comfortable. not enough to cause traffic jams but enough to know you are not totally lost. i like riding solo sometimes but enjoy a small group of like minded riders even more..

basically it's all good.

·
Ride what you want!!
2,202 Posts
I like to see a few people, or at least signs of people. There are some high sierra trails that need to be ridden more. Since they don't get ridden enough, then no one clears off the blown down branches and sometimes the trail just fades away.

george

1 - 20 of 44 Posts