Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Do you change the travel settings on your bike?

  • Hells yea I do!

    Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Nah, I don't bother.

    Votes: 38 64.4%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering two bikes and one of them is the Tracer VP. My question is how many people take advantage of changing the rear travel on their Intense whips. Even if you installed an adjustable fork and just change the travel on that, it would be great to know. It would also be great to hear stories of how your bike handles differently with the change in travel and when you would use the different changes.

:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
I have a Tracer VP with Float 36s, previously Pikes.

I don't bother adjusting the rear shock as I have it running in the sweetspot and it does everything I want. Climbing was marginally easier with 140mm forks, but the difference in descending feel with 160mm forks is massive - much more composed:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
much the same, occasionally change the rear, but rarely. up front i wind down the 36 most rides at some point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
On my Tracer VP, I adjust my fork travel (Fox Talas) all the time on virtually every ride. As far as the rear travel, I've pretty much kept it at the 5.5" setting from day one.

I plan on playing with the 6" setting, but just haven't got around to it.
 

·
Old school BMXer
Joined
·
2,695 Posts
E-man said:
On my Tracer VP, I adjust my fork travel (Fox Talas) all the time on virtually every ride. As far as the rear travel, I've pretty much kept it at the 5.5" setting from day one.

I plan on playing with the 6" setting, but just haven't got around to it.
E, you should mention that your TALAS is a 32 instead of a 36. Even though th 160 mm travel 36 has only 10 mm more traval than you 150 mm 32, the axle to crown height is a quite a bit taller on the 36.

From what I've noticed, those who have <150 travel tend to leave it in the 5.5" mode, whereas those with >150 forks, such as the 36, tend to leave the travel in the 6" mode.

Like E, I have a 150 mm TALAS 32, but I leave the link in the 5.5" mode.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
I have an older Marzocchi 66 on the front 170mm that I swapped over from my old bike. I leave the rear in 6" mode. The bike handles great, I don't think I would change a thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
I leave my Tracer in 6" mode all the time. I like the feel. I do have the 150mm Talas 32, which I rarely adjust; only on the longest of climbs do I wind it down.
 

·
My leg feels funny
Joined
·
1,289 Posts
I ordered an Uzzi (6 weeks ago, hurry it up I'm dieing here :)) and have every intention of changing the travel in the rear depending on what that days ride will look like. It's probably not as much of a factor with air shocks but when you change the travel it changes the leverage ratio and therefore sag. I plan to set up sag for the Uzzi in 7" mode for the more "pedaly" days and when I move it over to 7.5" the bike should feel more DH style. Of course this is just a theory so I'll have to post back :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,698 Posts
Blaster1200 said:
E, you should mention that your TALAS is a 32 instead of a 36. Even though th 160 mm travel 36 has only 10 mm more traval than you 150 mm 32, the axle to crown height is a quite a bit taller on the 36.

From what I've noticed, those who have <150 travel tend to leave it in the 5.5" mode, whereas those with >150 forks, such as the 36, tend to leave the travel in the 6" mode.

Like E, I have a 150 mm TALAS 32, but I leave the link in the 5.5" mode.
Interesting conclusion, I ride a 5.5 w/ a talas 32. 130mm for climbing and 140 desending.
 

·
Old school BMXer
Joined
·
2,695 Posts
sandan said:
Interesting conclusion, I ride a 5.5 w/ a talas 32. 130mm for climbing and 140 desending.
I'm not sure how you do that...the TALAS 32 140 has three settings: 100, 120, and 140.

But basically my rough conclusion was referring to the rear. By all means, when you have a TALAS in the front, use it! On my 5.5, I often used the 100 and 120 modes for climbing, and on my Tracer, I use the 110 and 130 modes as well.

I think this thread was directed at changing the rear travel on the Tracer, not the front.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top