Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[WARNING: Rant Ahead]

I can't describe how tired I am of seeing mountain bike videos with screaming/raging/shred metal/screamo/death guitar soundtracks.

My question to those who've added soundtracks like this to your videos is...do you really hear electric guitar in your head while riding? (That is, if you aren't plugged into an iPod actually playing the stuff while riding.)

Can someone offer an explanation (beyond the simplistic "Hey man, each to his own" or "It's all subjective" or other similar cop-out explanations) WHY so many mountain bikers perceive themselves as the star of their own imaginary heavy metal/reality/adrenaline TV show?

Does having an electric guitar soundtrack confer a status of "God" to whoever is on camera? Will I look like a better rider if I ride to screamo instead of jazz or classical?

Or does the electric guitar uniquely hold the power to convey---in ear-assaultingly heroic form---the extraordinary risk of life taken by the cameraman?

Will hot women email me wanting dates if I have lots of distorted power chords in my video soundtrack? (Maybe the formula is 1 woman per power chord?)

If I have Bach in my soundtrack, does that instantly brand me as a pu$$y? (Never mind that Bach had 20 kids so obviously could get it on in a far more studly manner than any MTBer...and never mind that Bach will be remembered long after the last MTB disappears from the earth...)

If I have John Coltrane or Chick Corea in my soundtrack, does this mean I'm actually not risking my life at all but riding safe, flat, rock-free trails? (Or does it mean that I'm somehow on a higher intellectual plane---inaccessible to mountain bikers---which induces scorn instead of approval?)

And the BIG question is...what if I decide to base my entire video soundtrack around electric guitar...but use Jimi Hendrix or Pete Townsend instead? Does this make me a "hippie mountain biker" or a "rebel mountain biker?" (Or just a pu$$y?)

Please---will someone enlighten me as to the benefits (and improvements in riding technique) conferred by a headache-inducing, wall-banging, fist-pumping, pelvic-thrusting, nipple-pinching, facial grimacing, sweat-flinging, distorted electric shred metal guitar soundtrack?

:D
Scott

Reactions: gmcttr

·
High Desert MTBer
5,468 Posts
HehHeh! You forgot to mention Obama or GW, that would put the cat amongst the pigeons!
I agree about the music thing, I love to hear the noise of the tires on the dirt. There was a video posted recently of a guy doing a very hairy downhill along a knife-like ridgeline with some scary drops, and the sound of the tires hitting the dirt on the jumps was awesome... I also liked the exclamations of the riders too...

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm with you rockerc! :thumbsup: Give me the "music of the bike" any day over a raging metal soundtrack.

Scott

·
Just Ride
1,738 Posts
Yes, yes I do. As a matter of fact on my last ride I was rocking out to some metal and thought "hey this would make a nice soundtrack for a video if someone were filming me" Other than that I turn it up and push even harder!

Metal is my favorite type of music. Always has been, always will be. And it goes great with riding. Though I don't always listen to it when I ride, sometimes I just listen to the sounds of nature, depends on my mood.

·
Afric Pepperbird
4,752 Posts
How bizarre. I was thinking the very same thing as your original rant, just a few hours ago.

I've often wondered why peeps don't post a song that's relevant to the video; or if that fails, at least something avant garde.

But then I realize, as with the OP, I'm probably much older than 90% of the people on this forum. And, as the saying goes, kids will be kids. Ain't no stopping it.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you other old guys. I was also thinking about this today at the gym as the Chicago song "searching for an Answer " popped on my ipod and thot this slow creschendo would work great for a bike vid but no one would understand it.

Ps- there were no hot chicks throwing themselves at me as I stretched out my old creaky bones.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,570 Posts
I agree about the music thing, I love to hear the noise of the tires on the dirt..
+1:thumbsup:

I find most music completely at odds with what I am watching, what I really want to hear is the sound of the ride.

I can appreciate a good soundtrack for an edited stunt montage, though heavy metal thrashing is just not my thing.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Well, I do sometimes hear 'Shoot to Thrill' when I do my very best JT imitation.

"Please---will someone enlighten me as to the benefits (and improvements in riding technique) conferred by a headache-inducing, wall-banging, fist-pumping, pelvic-thrusting, nipple-pinching, facial grimacing, sweat-flinging, distorted electric shred metal guitar soundtrack?"

I didn't get that part either, until I met my wife. Club girl meets MTBr. Awesome!

·
Delirious Tuck
2,471 Posts
If you're watching DH type stuff, either metal or gangsta rap, preferrably of the old skool vintage. If its a jump line the rap, if its a gnarly chunk section some Ramstein is perfect.

If you're watching trail riding, marley or jack johnson work well.

Dirt jumps depend on tempo of riders.

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Personally, and no offense, but, I'm not sure why someone would be so troubled by videos with guitars that they'd start an entire thread to make sure everyone is aware of their disliking. Just my opinion but, since you did start it, as a self-professed music nerd and an occasional video maker, I thought I may offer my two cents.

As a music nerd, I have a TON of music. My music ranges from classical to hardcore punk to funk to motown to indie to the stuff my handle is partly based on (it's also my initials). To me, nothing is off limits when I make videos - including classical. Granted, I haven't put one out using the stuff yet but it's not to say that I wouldn't or that a great video can't be made using it. I've used some mellow stuff, and some not-so-mellow stuff. I've used old stuff and I've used new stuff (I won't post any link as they're not hard to find). I hardly think using classical would make someone "look like a pu$$y". At least not in my opinion. Now, of course, if you are judging others based on their guitar music choices than maybe some would. If you are, that isn't the video creator's problem though, that becomes yours.

In saying that, as much as I love pretty much all types of music, I too despise 20 minute "guitar smasher" tunes that go nowhere (and would never use one in a video) BUT I don't knock those that enjoy it and never comment and say "OH! Crappy song choice! Your video would have been awesome except for that song!!". Those comments are useless and annoying. Not everyone likes the same stuff and no matter what you chose, there are some who love it, and some who don't.

I've watched videos with really bad country tunes going, death metal that totally didn't fit the bill, those "raging" guitars you're talking about, and, most recently, bad U2 covers. None of that matters, man. Each video I referred to above was great! I really enjoyed them. Despite the music. They were GREAT entertainment and people put some effort into creating them - I'm pretty sure I let them know that too. Enjoy them for what they're worth. Entertainment!

Ska (may be younger but, please, not a "kid" at 38)

Don't want to sound harsh, not my thing, just giving my 2 cents.

p.s. just as a side note: depending on where the videos are uploaded, sometimes the hosting site doesn't allow any choice of music other than what "they" supply so the video creators pick the best of the worst and are stuck with it.....

·
Registered
199 Posts
I go through phases with music while riding. About 80% of the time I prefer silence, and the rest of the time my mood will swing between fast and heavy or slow and mellow. I used to do my own kind of interval training by making up varied mix tapes. If Tom Waites, Billy Bragg or similar came on, I'd relax a bit; until Ministry or Black Flag came on, when it was time to pump it.

These days my main use for headphones (oops--earbuds) is on early morning road rides, when I listen to pod casts of news/current affairs (about the only time I can catch up on what's happening in the world after juggling work and two small kids!).

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.