Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading about the gusset 1'er singlespeed kit on unrealcycles.com, and they said not to use it with hubs with aluminum cassette bodies. Do the XT hubs have aluminum cassette bodies. I cant find it on their website. Also, do the stock rear shimano hub that come on the Kona Stuff have an aluminum cassette body? I would be putting this kit on one or possibly both hubs. If they both have aluminum cassette bodies, is there another kit that would work. On www.phatmoosecycles.com they have a whole singlespeed kit that comes with 5 aluminum spacers, would that work? I would appreciate other options but I would still first want to know about the cassette bodies-are they aluminum?
Thanks
P.S. I would probably go with the kit from phat moose but I wanted a 18t cog which the gussett kit comes with but not the kit from phat moose(it comes with a 16t) Is there anywhere to buy a 18t cog from?

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Yeah. Bikeman.com sells cogs.

They don't want you to have the AL cassette bodies because with the cog, your force is spread over a very small area compared to a full 9spd cassette.

I honestly don't know about the hubs though.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Yes, XT cassettes use an aluminum carrier body.
standard235 said:
Yeah. Bikeman.com sells cogs.

They don't want you to have the AL cassette bodies because with the cog, your force is spread over a very small area compared to a full 9spd cassette.

I honestly don't know about the hubs though.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
XT hubs use a steel freehub/cassette body. Shimano dose not use aluminum freehub bodies for any mtb hubs. You can use the Gusset kit or any other SS kit with no problems.

You could also use a DX BMX cog and spacers from an old cassette.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,970 Posts
Just to even this out a bit, and support shiggy;

The cassette body is STEEL. NOT aluminum.

People have trouble with sram cassettes on fancy lightweight hubs because the cassettes dig into the aluminum cassette body, but shimano XT is steel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts