Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all this crazy weather here in the midwest, I can't seem to ride enough. From work to the trails being in the red, I just can't seem to get to the trail fast enough. It always seems to start raining when I want to go.

This leads me to here.

I have two scenarios that I want anybody and everybody's opinion on. Keep in mind that I'm a mountain biker at heart and will always be a mountain biker, but its inevitable, I'm going to have to end up on the road to ride as much as I want.

Do I:

Build a monster styled 29er cyclocross oriented? This would be my training/road warrior/winter bike. It will be full rigid in it's training/road warrior form, and have a suspension fork with 27.5+ tires for the snow in it's winter form.

Or

Buy a cyclocross bike like the Cannondale CAADX or Slate (when it comes out). The most I've ridden any of these style bikes is around the parking lot of my lbs. I've ridden a race oriented entry level road bike for several weeks, and couldn't get comfortable with it (it hurt my back and neck).

Whichever bike I go with will be used at my closest set of trails, which I consider a cyclocrossers paradise. It's super flat, roots everywhere, and can get technical at times. I would leave my house on the road, dip into the trail system for a few miles, and pop back out on the road for a 10 mile or so lap total (approximately 1-3 miles offroad per lap that I do). The trail system about 5 miles total.

Which bike would you go with?

The monster 29er or buy the cyclocross bike?

Either way, I'd spend around the same amount of money.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
I live where it never snows, but with all the rain we have been having in Texas, I have logged many more miles on my cyclocross bike this year than my mountain bike. I put narrow road tires on it and crush miles and miles of pavement. I can put fatter 35-42mm tires on it and ride dirt trails and whatever singletrack is dry at the time. I like having one bike that that is built specifically for dirt and one that handles pavement better but will do well on dirt occasionally. a "monster cross" bike seems like too much of a mountain bike. if you can only have two bikes at the moment, a monstercross bike seems like just another mountain bike to me.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Isn't it summer?

Get a fatbike. The hilarity is worth any loss of efficiency.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
If I lived where it snowed enough, I would definitely have a bike for riding the trails in it.... that's got to be a blast.

Unless you want to hang with some roadies, on group rides, you can pedal anything down the road for exercise. Having a road bike, for road riding, is nice though.

n+1+1

1 - 5 of 5 Posts