Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems my rear 3 to 4 shift only moves 1/2 way. Then when I go another thumb push click from 4 to 5, it goes 1 1/2 distance.

Sound like a cable issue (they are 100 miles new) or can a shifter itself cause this?

Rather annoying having some gears indexing properly while others don't.

Got '03 Deore shifters btw.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Destroy said:
Seems my rear 3 to 4 shift only moves 1/2 way. Then when I go another thumb push click from 4 to 5, it goes 1 1/2 distance.

Sound like a cable issue (they are 100 miles new) or can a shifter itself cause this?

Rather annoying having some gears indexing properly while others don't.

Got '03 Deore shifters btw.
It could be the shifters but it sounds more like cable stretch or has it fallen on the rear deraillure? If the hangar is bent it will do the same thing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Id agree that it sounds like a cable adjustment issue. I also agree that you dont have "thumb" shifters, you have rapid-fire shifters. There is a difference.

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
I have found that the lifespan and ruggedness of rapid fire shifters doesn't come close to that of thumb shifters (this is why I prefer thumbies) but your problem sounds more like a cable adjustment issue than a shifter issue.

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
Shiggy - I love those old Suntour power shifters (and Suntour parts in general) and run a set on my Trek 7500 cross bike.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Sixty Fiver said:
I have found that the lifespan and ruggedness of rapid fire shifters doesn't come close to that of thumb shifters (this is why I prefer thumbies) but your problem sounds more like a cable adjustment issue than a shifter issue.
Hence the nickname "rapid failure"

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spent a good hour last night playing around with my rear shifting.

As I stated the rear shift cable is new XTR teflon brand and full length bike shop bulk housing. XTR rear cassette is only 1/3 season old, chain new looks good and is not stretched. Basically all components are in decent shape.

With the chain off, the XT rear derail moves properly, 1 tooth distance per click.

At its best adjustment, with the chain on, 5th and 6th gear just don't want to engage properly, not even on the stand. Tries to climb the teeth but the XT just isn't pushing far enough it seems.

I can adjust the rear to get it to go into larger gears nicely and properly but then when shifting into smaller gears its slow, hangs and grinds.

The only thing I can notices is my rr derail cable seems to move alot under tension as I shift. Sort of like how a garden hose moves when water pressure is applied to it.

Is it possible I was sold brake cable housing? How can I tell?

Can anyone recommend a for sure quality 5ft long rear derail cable setup? I found out Jagwire kits aren't long enough the hard way.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Have you checked to make sure your RD hanger is not loose?

As for the housing, you'll know if its brake or cable by popping off one of the end caps.
Brake cable housing has a metal casing thats wound up like a coil. Shifter housing has metal strands that pretty much are straight end to end.
If you have brake housing then there is no way that it'll ever shift right.

here is a reference pic for the housing

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wanted to follow up on my issue.

I installed an Avid Rollamajig removing the large rear housing loop on my rear dérailleur, adjusted everything nicely and all shifts perfectly well now. Worked great for my last race with every shift working properly and crisply.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My guess is/was (as shiggy suggested) cable drag -- i.e that lubing the cables would have solved it as well. This makes sense given that the rollamajig fixed it since that section of the cable run (which the rollamajig eliminates) is the worst offender in this regard.

Note that even with the rollamajig and teflon cables, a little lube on the cables can still help improve performance. If it starts giving you trouble again, I would suggest lubing the cables. I use a very light coating of Jonnisnot grease (squeegeed off with fingers) on teflon coated cables -- this solved a similar issue for me a liitle while back. Ironically, I actually bought a rollamajig to see if it would help this issue, but I never put it on because I tried lubing first, and it worked.

Larry

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,914 Posts
Spraylube (triflow works) into the shifters around the cable mechanism, they often stick.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.