Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you know that tricycle you had when you were a kid? the one with the solid rubber wheels?

well i am sort of getting piss'ed of getting flats when riding. i figure since a DH bike usually
has front and rear suspension that air in the tires is not really that nessesary. So i was wondering if there is a company out there that makes special solid rubber tires? or possibly a conversion kit, i know there are plenty of expanding foams out there that harden after they dry out, so if you were to put that inside your rim and let it expand and harden you wheel would become rock hard, but still have rubber to grip. im just thinking of ways this might work, mayby i will grab an old bike tire and rim and test out the foam idea, unless there is a company that specializes in solid rubber rims?

solid rubber wheel, just a small one=( i want big bike sized.

anyhow thanks for reading and posting your comments?

·
...for I am a raindog too
267 Posts
Holy rotational mass, batman!!!!!!:eekster:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was thinking the expanding foam because foam does not weigh much, all it is is air bubbles=) so it would add little weight to the wheels

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats what the local bike shop said too, but i dont want to have air inside my tires, incase it gets punctured by something sharp

·
clyde in training
1,917 Posts
you would lose a lot of traction if you had solid wheels. it would work but that is pretty much a bad idea all around. there are other ways of avoiding flats.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
08nwsula said:
you would lose a lot of traction if you had solid wheels. it would work but that is pretty much a bad idea all around. there are other ways of avoiding flats.
im not asking about the traction, i just want to know if they exist, or do i have to make one myself instead of buying. the places i ride tend to have alot of broken glass and or wood chips and sharp metal wreckage on the ground from an old house near the closest dh bike trail, its too bad cuz its a really nice trail.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Everyone Shut Up And Stop Discouraging The Idea!! Just Try It! And We Want To See Pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,748 Posts
Dude, run Stans for punctures...

Expanding foam tends to make things rupture if you put in too much... Not to mention the areas that don't get enough. (Would make flat spots.) I remember my car stereo days using spray foam and watching body panels flex outward in strange unnatural ways. :eek:

Buy a set of DEEMAX wheels or 823 rims, Stans and UST tires, or try ghetto tubeless... Much better! :thumbsup:

·
beautiful jackass
635 Posts
fang_x said:
im not asking about the traction, i just want to know if they exist, or do i have to make one myself instead of buying. the places i ride tend to have alot of broken glass and or wood chips and sharp metal wreckage on the ground from an old house near the closest dh bike trail, its too bad cuz its a really nice trail.
Yeah man I think you'll pretty much have to fabricate those yourself.

But if your trail is covered with glass and sharp metal wreckage why don't you clean the trail up instead of literally re-inventing the wheel.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
albertomannil said:
Everyone Shut Up And Stop Discouraging The Idea!! Just Try It! And We Want To See Pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i will go to the local hardware store and buy a few different kinds of the expanding foam, get an old rim or 2 and give it a shot take pics ect..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
one incredible donkey said:
Yeah man I think you'll pretty much have to fabricate those yourself.

But if your trail is covered with glass and sharp metal wreckage why don't you clean the trail up instead of literally re-inventing the wheel.
because good ideas come where we improvise.

if we never had a challenge we would not learn

mtb is all about customization and technique look at bikes from 20 years ago, they have come along way thanks to people who have tackled a problem head on and found a solution.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I do not think that they make those types of wheels for bikes since they will be more slippery than your local college hottie. They do have wheel chair tires though, which i believe are solid plastic/rubber. CBO sells them. Perhaps you can modify this tire or modify your bike to accept wheel chair wheels. What everyone says is right though, there are better options. Maybe even thick hard DH tires will prevent glass flats.

·
Registered
708 Posts
be sure to spin the wheels while the foam dries, so the foam dries up equally inside the whole tire!

·
StraightOuttaCompton
3,145 Posts
solid foam tubes exist. i saw them at walmart when i was buying a pump for my grandpas ghetto bike

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
its true that wheelchair wheels are solid rubber, never really thought of that, im sure if you found the same size rims it would work, but wheelchair wheels have little to no treading, making them useless for mtb, perhaps for a road bike though, i might look into this aswell

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Djponee said:
solid foam tubes exist. i saw them at walmart when i was buying a pump for my grandpas ghetto bike
they used to exist, full sized adult bikes in the 1950's with solid rubber wheels, or at least thats what my mother tells me, she claims to have had a bike like that

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
Michelin is developing them, they are called tweels.

For bike applications today, AirFreeTires and GreenTyre makes them.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts