Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm not a DHer or whatever, but I figured this would be the best place to ask. I'm a bit tired of riding clipless pedals in the mud, so I am looking at some platforms. I've got a good bit of money to performance (gift cards), so I was wondering about the Forte Shovels. I cant seem to find any reviews (other than what is on the performance's site), so I wanted some feedback. 60$ is alot of money to spend just to find out something is just ok. Thanks.
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=22659&estore_ID=1977

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
The original versions of those pedals sucked. The bearings were horrible, and the pins would fall out.

Oddly enough, the Shovels really aren't bad pedals... and you get the Performance 100% satisfaction guarantee, which means that if you EVER have any problems with the pedals, you take them back and get them fixed/replaced for free.

·
RiffRaff
429 Posts
I hate anything Forte'. Performance bike atracts cheap a$$es that don't want to pay for a good knolegable local bike shop. Most of the employees @ Performance are ignorant when it comes to cycling at any level. Rant over.

Welgo MG1 is a good pedal. If yu want to spend some coin go with sycncros or the sleeper pic, Bontrager King Earl. <This pedal is no joke. I have Crank Bros. 50/50s, but will probably upgrade to the King Earls soon.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HTFR said:
I hate anything Forte'. Performance bike atracts cheap a$$es that don't want to pay for a good knolegable local bike shop. Most of the employees @ Performance are ignorant when it comes to cycling at any level. Rant over.

Welgo MG1 is a good pedal. If yu want to spend some coin go with sycncros or the sleeper pic, Bontrager King Earl. <This pedal is no joke. I have Crank Bros. 50/50s, but will probably upgrade to the King Earls soon.
From what I understand/have experienced, they vary a lot in quality of staff. In fact, if anything, performance employees (in general) from our local performance store are more knowledgeable (at least about MTBs) than those of our LBS. I use the LBS to get bikes and repair them (if I cant). Beyond that, I get crap from performance, because I guess I am a cheap ass (some call me a sensible consumer).

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
HTFR said:

Yes, Performance' corporate office aims at their target audience: the consumer who knows little to nothing about bikes.

But I, along with many of my riding buddies, did a stint or two at Performance, and I can say that we are some of the more knowledgeable bike guys.

But I think that might also have something to do with the fact that I now work a desk job, and surf MTBR, Pinkbike, and Ridemonkey 90% of my day. :thumbsup:

·
check your six
4,181 Posts
OP-
Contrary to popular belief, the Forte Shovel pedals are top notch. Before I get started here, I absolutely despise Poopformance. The lack of knowledge is enough to pass on them, but the overall satisfaction from the customer service (in shop), willingness to help, hell even a willingness to work has driven me far from that place of business. okay..

Now, the Shovel pedals were the first set of platforms I purchased. I have had them for about three seasons. They have been on three bikes, taken to resorts; urban riding, DJ's, lots-o-crashes and they still work flawlessly. The bearing roll and feel better than my Straitlines, (really....they do). The only problem I see with them is that they are the heaviest pedal I have felt. I am not sure on the weight; you might want to check that out if you are weight conscious. Also, they are fairly tall, as in thick, so it makes bashing your pedals a bit easier. I have some serious gouges in mine, but I am only missing one pin. Snow Shoe took that from me.... I no longer have them mounted to any bike but I kept them in my parts box. They are just too good to get rid of, hell I might even need them for a boat anchor sometime… lol.. I tried to find the actual weights on these bad boys, but could not.
You say that you have Poopformance gift cards, they don’t really offer any quality components for a reasonable price, and if you do not want to spend your dough on bicycle clothing or cleaners/lubes, then you might as well go for the pedals. Then I suggest you run from that place and never, ever return.
-Sodak

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
sodak06 said:
OP-
Contrary to popular belief, the Forte Shovel pedals are top notch. Before I get started here, I absolutely despise Poopformance. The lack of knowledge is enough to pass on them, but the overall satisfaction from the customer service (in shop), willingness to help, hell even a willingness to work has driven me far from that place of business. okay..

Now, the Shovel pedals were the first set of platforms I purchased. I have had them for about three seasons. They have been on three bikes, taken to resorts; urban riding, DJ's, lots-o-crashes and they still work flawlessly. The bearing roll and feel better than my Straitlines, (really....they do). The only problem I see with them is that they are the heaviest pedal I have felt. I am not sure on the weight; you might want to check that out if you are weight conscious. Also, they are fairly tall, as in thick, so it makes bashing your pedals a bit easier. I have some serious gouges in mine, but I am only missing one pin. Snow Shoe took that from me.... I no longer have them mounted to any bike but I kept them in my parts box. They are just too good to get rid of, hell I might even need them for a boat anchor sometime&#8230; lol.. I tried to find the actual weights on these bad boys, but could not.
You say that you have Poopformance gift cards, they don't really offer any quality components for a reasonable price, and if you do not want to spend your dough on bicycle clothing or cleaners/lubes, then you might as well go for the pedals. Then I suggest you run from that place and never, ever return.
-Sodak
You just have to click on the "Specs" tab.

Weight: 700g
Damn...... extremely heavy pedals.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've ran them on my past two bikes with no problems, and once I got my fivetens they hooked up like a dream. For me at least, I have no problems with these pedals getting muddy, in fact they're covered in mud right now. My last pair of pedals felt like an ice rink when they got muddy and I had to remove the mud between runs, so I am satisfied with the shovels for sure.
$60 seems a little steep though, I got mine for $40 in store.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I dont think I'm going to get them. I'm looking at the azonic's from Jenson. I do realize that performance doesnt really have very good prices on components, but they have fairly good prices on things like clothing, pumps (and I did get a rear wheel from them that has worked quite well, plus it has a 1 year no questions warranty). Not sure where every one gets the idea that they are unwilling to help. In fact, when I got a rear wheel from them, the hub was faulty, and by the time I noticed it, it was 7:30 (they closed at 8, and it was a 10 min drive), so, needing the wheel the next day, I rushed up there, cassette and tire already mounted, to see if they would fix it. One of the people in the shop stayed and swapped barrings from the hub. He stayed 20 mins after to fix it (We got there at 7:45 or so, and had a 10 min wait). Like I said, I'm told its hit or miss with performances.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.