Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to buy my GF a new seat, as she is always sore after long rides, but honestly do not know where to begin. Are there seats here which are favs of many women? This is for her road bike BTW.

TIA

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
my wife swears by the specialized body geo. for women. i have noticed it has improved her stamina on longer rides (she rides road as well)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
ferday said:
my wife swears by the specialized body geo. for women. i have noticed it has improved her stamina on longer rides (she rides road as well)
And she is not sore after long rides? My fiancee is always sore after rides of 30 miles or more, but is not the type to help me out if she thinks I will be spending money one her.....part of the reason why I love her, but it can be frustrating too, especially when she is in pain.

We have a biking trip to CO planned this summer, and I would like to make sure she has a comfortable seat for that too.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
pretty sad when the women's lounge is men asking women questions for their female SO...and men answering the question based on what their female SO uses...no offense guys...just observing the lack of female in this lounge... :)

I'd answer, but I only ride my xc bike on the road if I have to...no road bike here...

·
Rides with Scissors
619 Posts
likely tons of "what's your favorite saddle" posts in the archives...

every butt is different, so what I like may be hated by another.

that said, I have the Terry Men's Fly on all my bikes. Road and Mtb.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Here's one I wouldn't recommend ...

That is, unless she wants to be seen riding what looks to be remarkably like a dildo in public. The picture doesn't quite do it justice, it's even worse "in person," I promise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Road - since 2000 I've been swearing by the Avocet 02 Ti for women
Mtb multiday/endurance events - Terry Womens Butterfly Ti
Mtb technical/recreational - WTB Though they no longer make the saddle I currenly use, I would recommend the Speed She Team

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sheilar said:
Road - since 2000 I've been swearing by the Avocet 02 Ti for women
Mtb multiday/endurance events - Terry Womens Butterfly Ti
Mtb technical/recreational - WTB Though they no longer make the saddle I currenly use, I would recommend the Speed She Team
Thanks much for the recs. I will have to look into some(and avoid others that some have warned about), as we are planning a weeklong mtn biking trip to Colorado this summer, and I want her to be comfortable.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seat for road bike

I got a road bike this May (Specialized Dolce Elite - it is beautiful). first road bike since I was about 12 and we called them 10-speeds ;-)
at any rate, the bike came with the Body Geometry Diva (it's gray in colour and very plush). This is the best seat I have ever ridden on. I mostly ride mtn bikes (15 years or so). This seat is too wide for a mountain bike but it just awesoem for the road bike. Every time you sit on it for the first time, you think plush... the longest ride i've doen on the road bike is not super long - maybe 50-60 miles - but my butt did ok.
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=12956
Maureen

·
I love burritos.
171 Posts
Fizik Aliante

My new road bike came with a Fizik Aliante saddle and it's by far the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden. I used to have a Terry Butterfly Ti on my old road bike but I ended up hating it. The Terry was quite comfortable when you first sit on it, but the mushiness and cushiness of the saddle caused more problems with rubbing, chafing, and pressure in the wrong areas than ever during longer rides. I'm relatively lightweight, but I would kinda begin to "sink" into the saddle as I rode and it wasn't a good thing.

I now swear by the Aliante, so much that I'm looking to replace the Selle Italia Flite Gel on my mountain bike with it.

brianthebiker said:
I would like to buy my GF a new seat, as she is always sore after long rides, but honestly do not know where to begin. Are there seats here which are favs of many women? This is for her road bike BTW.

TIA

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
Sweet Thing said:
That is, unless she wants to be seen riding what looks to be remarkably like a dildo in public. The picture doesn't quite do it justice, it's even worse "in person," I promise.

LOL!

My sister has one and thinks it's the greatest. I wonder if she's noticed its resemblance....

Kathy :^)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Specialized BG Dolce Women's Saddle

brianthebiker said:

TIA
I have a mt. bike and really like the Specialized Women's BG Dolce Saddle.

Based on some of the other responses in this thread, I believe it's the Specialized Body Geometry Dolce because it's got a "BG" logo on it.

It came with the bike (a Specialized Epic). I don't know if it would be good for a road bike or not.

My beau tried to buy me a saddle once (I don't know why. He was well aware of how much I liked that seat. I was shameless in my praise of it.)

He installed this "gift" -- a Terry - I don't recall which one -- on my bike. I rode it in the parking lot at the trailhead for 30 seconds and knew I didn't like it. He immediately put my old BG Dolce back on.

The only thing I dislike about the Dolce is if you push the seat back too far -- i.e., toward the rear wheel -- the pointy-end/nose slopes down, and I feel like I am sliding forward. There doesn't seem to be a way to adjust that on this seat (mine is a 2003 or '04).

On another note -- it might be good to find out what kind of soreness your GF has -- "sit bone" soreness or chafing soreness? Maybe the seat is not the (only) solution. ??

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a Terry Freedom (something like that) and it literally rubbed me raw! I put it on the bike I just traded in, so I didn't have to try to sell it. "Yeah, it's supposed to be a great seat for a woman, but it just wore a hole on my crotch!" My last seat was a Specialized women's bg too, and I really liked it. My new Specialized came with a seat that seems to be working just as well. I don't know what to do with 2 seats at once. Never happened before, in the last 8 years.

Catherine

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
brianthebiker said:

TIA
as others have said, every @ss is different and what works for me might be h3ll for your gf.

that said, my favorite saddle is the Serfas Arc Dual Density Pro women's saddle. unfortunately, it's no longer made (they replaced it with the DD Pro women's saddle but the design is different) but occasionally you can find them on ebay. i've got it on almost all my bikes - 2 road, 2 mtn, 1 commuter - and have done rides as long as 9+ hrs on it.

rt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there an online shop that actually has a GOOD selection of women's saddles, and good prices? I want to browse and compare before making a decision, but I'm hvaing a hard time finding any selection.

·
enlightened.
1,494 Posts
ha ha ha

flypony74 said:
Is there an online shop that actually has a GOOD selection of women's saddles, and good prices? I want to browse and compare before making a decision, but I'm hvaing a hard time finding any selection.
welcome to our world ;)

try pricepoint, performance...your ususal discount outfitters. I always hunt like a hound for deals, they are pretty scattered IMO.

·
black & blue
235 Posts
I liked the MTB Speed She...I tried several others, but the MTB was the most comfortable for me. A bike seat is a very individual choice, kind of hard to purchase one for someone else.

Maybe buy one for your girlfriend, include the receipt and a trip to the bike shop to let her try out all the different choices?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.