Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I weigh 202 lbs. I was wondering if the stans crest rims are better suited for lighter guys or will they be ok for me? I only ride xc and race xc. No all mountain, no drops, etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
The new Stans website lists a weight limit for the Crest 29er now at 190lbs. I'm in the same boat, and at 190lbs, almost all wheelbuilders have recommended the Arch 29er as a day-to-day riding wheel with the Crest 29er being more of a race day wheel. The exception was if I was going to use a SS rear hub, then I could get by with a Crest 29er as non-race setup. If I go SS for the wheelset I'll use the Crest, if not I'll go with the Arch- Hope that helps-

·
Registered
266 Posts
Interesting. I'm at 180, and was also thinking of building up a crest as an everyday wheelset from my rigid 29er. I'm worried, though, that I should go with the Arch instead, just to be safe. I do hit some quite rocky terrain from time to time.

Why would it matter if I used a SS hub?

·
Registered
27 Posts
foxtrot said:
Why would it matter if I used a SS hub?
An SS rear hub has a wider flange spacing than a regular cassette hub which allows for a stonger, dish-less, rear wheel. It's a tough choice; I've read that people heavier than me have been fine with a Crest rim and I've also read from people lighter than me that stated the crest wasn't stiff enough and flexed...who makes the wheel and what spokes are used are a big factor too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.