Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what the deal is, but I've busted 3 of them now.

I'm not sure which ones they are, but my first bike was an 07 Stumpy Comp, and I was climbing, and shifted, and the chain blew. I didn't feel like I really torqued it all that much though. It got replaced with a Shimano chain and no more problems. I sold that bike and had a friend build up a Titus for me. 3rd ride, and that Sram chain busted. I wasn't even shifting this time, it just broke. Went to the shop and they warranted the chain and gave me a new one. I'm out today and the new one friggin busted! Only maybe 8 rides of maybe 60 total miles. What gives???? Do I try and warranty this one too, or just switch, or is it all user error? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Today when I was riding I was in 1 and 2, and shifted up to 1 and 4 on an uphill that I wanted to pick up some speed to run through a small rocky section. I shifted fine, and then when I really went to pedaling hard, it just snapped. It was a good 3-4 seconds after I finished my shift until I really cranked on the pedals though.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I've personally never had a problem with a single SRAM chain that I've ever used, and I've been using them for quite some time. Their cassettes however are another story altogether... they're nothing but dog poop.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On Sram X-7, 1 is the small ring on front, and 1 is the big ring on back. So 1 and 1 would be granny gear.

I don't think I'd say I'm a cylde, but I'm a pretty strong guy in the legs just from playing soccer for 13 years. It sounds like I just need to switch over to Shimano and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I have had little problems with my SRAMS. I have used both Shimano and SRAM with the same resuIts: occasional chain breakage, especially when the chain is really worn. I am not trying to cast dispersions, but maybe they were installed incorrectly, or grime with no lube, or shifting under torque. I am not saying they don't break, but not that often when used correctly. And the SRAM link rocks!

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
A lot of riders seem to agree that Sram chains are easier to break, that said I had the same bike as you with the same chain and no problem, one of the rare components I didn’t have an issue with on that bike. I really like the PowerLink and other things about Sram chains but if your breaking Sram chains then you would do better with a Shimano one…

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I've used Shimano XT and SRAM 991 Cross-step. I finally broke the shimano chain after a few years and the SRAM is holding up fine after a few months of riding. Given the choice again I'd go with Shimano XTR with a powerlink in it.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
i know that someone's gonna correct me but, i've run SRaM, Shikkah and kmz... i've broken every one of 'em. i've put a knee-cap into my stem twice---hard.
---most chains [if not all] are produced by a robot at high speed - using the 'same' tech. variations occur w/ all brands.
a sudden 'break-away' is un-acceptable by any of these guys. a major lawsuit because of faulty 'whatever'.
my point is... a bad chain is rare, and not the norm

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've broken one of each, sram and shimano. Run sram solely on my bikes now, and no problems since the last break. Lube, correct sizing and, learning how to shift go a long way in making a chain last.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
1 is the leftmost cog
I've had lots of trouble with the powerlink, and with sram chains overall. Shimano XT chains (XTR is too expansive) will uually last me around 4 to 6 months, and if one hasn't failed me, I'll pass it to the non-race bike, and get a new one.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.