Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once you ride a 29er, do you still ride a 26" bike too? Or, once you ride a 29er, do you not look back? I would like to try a GF Cobia, but don't want to if it turns me off to my other bikes. Curious as to the experiences of other people here. Reading the posts from the picture thread, it sounds as though it is a common belief here that a 29er is the only way to go.

TIA

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have been on 29ers for the last two years, and singlespeeds for the last 6. a month ago I took a friends 26in bike for a ride cause it had gears and Im thinking of building geared 29er. Getting used to having gears took about 30 minutes, but those damn little wheels. The handling and ride characteristics were very strange, i dont think I could switch back and forth between the two sizes, I have gotten used to the biggers wheels and just love them a whole lot more.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
It all comes down to what you want to do. Where you ride, how you ride, the type of riding you want to do.

The bottom line is that ALL bike riding is GOOD...:thumbsup:

I go for a spin on a 26" bike now and again. I recently tested a 650B bike. I also ride 29'ers. Any or all of these are good.

I mix SS, FS, HT, geared, rigid, even fixed sometimes. Variety is the spice of life...:D

R.

·
innate behaviour
116 Posts
I don't foresee myself ever purchasing another 26". There are advantages to both, but in my opinion, the advantages presented to you via 29" wheel out weigh those from a 26".

I will absolutely not purchase another 26" hard tail.....just too harsh of a ride...

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
I ride both 26" bikes and 29ers on a regular basis. I switch back and forth regularly. To me, the wheel size makes less of an impact than differencs in the frames' geometry. I rode a full suspension 29er yesterday, a road bike today, and will ride a 26er on Tuesday (when I ride next).

If you like your current bike, you'll still like it after buying a 29er.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
surlyboy said:
but those damn little wheels. The handling and ride characteristics were very strange, i dont think I could switch back and forth between the two sizes, I have gotten used to the biggers wheels and just love them a whole lot more.
That is precisely what I am afriad of, as I just got a FS bike I love.

May have to wait on the whole 29er thing awhile.....or at least until my "new" bike is somewhat old.

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
laffeaux said:
If you like your current bike, you'll still like it after buying a 29er.
Very true. My 29er is an xc bike for training days and my 26er is an all-mountain machine. I actually appreciate my 26er more after being on my 29er due to the super plush, super rigid frame. Right tool for the right job I always say.

·
Registered
349 Posts
tiSS'er said:
Yes. I ride my 26'ers as much as I ride my 29'ers, but not as much as my wife :)
Lucky bugger.:thumbsup: I mean I would love to have a go at my wife as much as I commute on my 26'er. But then with my 3mi/5km or 15 minute commute I would never get past the foreplay.:madman:

Ultimately, it is much cheaper to replace a $100 dept. store 26" bike, that to outift every TURD in the city with a basic 29er @ $1000. ;)

Stosh

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
brianthebiker said:
Once you ride a 29er, do you still ride a 26" bike too? Or, once you ride a 29er, do you not look back? . . . Reading the posts from the picture thread, it sounds as though it is a common belief here that a 29er is the only way to go.

TIA
To answer your questions:

Yes.

No.

Yes, it is a common belief . . . but then, people like to believe all sorts of odd things. :)

I have a 29er HT with a 3" travel fork (Ventana El Padrino) and a 6.4" travel 26" wheeled bike (Turner RFX). I like them both, as each bike has its strengths. For flat fast rides, flowy singletrack, and standing climbs it is just hard to beat the Ventana. But for steep technical riding or hauling @ss downhill, you cannot beat the RFX, as it has the geo for that type of riding dialed.

Switching back and forth between the two wheel sizes is a complete non-issue, unless you are a Hypersensitive Emo Navel Gazer or suffer from the Princess and the Pea Syndrome. :p

And like laffeaux said, it is more about geometry, and I will add, fit. Really, fit is huge. I wouldn't be on either bike if they did not fit me perfectly. I also like having a purpose built bike with appropriate geo for the two types of riding that do, which makes my riding far more enjoyable.

Having said that, I doubt I would ever ride a HT 26" bike again--29er HTs are just so much better in every respect. Conversely, I don't want an AM 29er.

If you are riding a 26" fully, think about going with a HT for your first 29er, even a singlespeed. You'll have less overlap (and more fun) that way.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TLL said:
If you are riding a 26" fully, think about going with a HT for your first 29er, even a singlespeed. You'll have less overlap (and more fun) that way.
If I make the leap, it will definitely be a HT, and most likely a Gary Fisher Cobia (lower end compared with many of the bikes discussed here), as I just bought 2 new FS bikes in the past 3 months, and so do not have alot to spend in the bike account.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I usually bring a 29er SS and 26er FS to every trail I go to, I like to ride both bikes equally, to me they are just bikes, I love my 29er, it corners so much better then my 26er, but their still is no way I'll stop riding my 26er, it's to much fun in the super tight stuff.
To me the big difference between the two wheel sizes comes when riding rigid SS, then I definitely prefer a 29er, it's not even close, but that's just me. I tried a FS 29er and didn't like it, I found to slow for tight single track in comparison to my 26er, but who knows I really haven't tried out that many different bikes.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
I have to say that when I ride my 26" FS it feels SMALL. I did today for a ride in a park that is pretty steep for most of the climbs - so I grabbed the gearie with squish. Looking back - I think I could have ridden almost all of the stuff today on the rigid SS 29". While I don't plan on dumping my 26" FS, it does not get ridden very often! The 26" is something that I can't say I dislike, but after most of my riding a 29" rigid SS, the low gears can throw me off a bit - I tend to ride middle ring and mid-cassette when climbing on the geared bike. The biggest issue is the small feel. I doubt that I'll ever get another 26" bike either. Not sure about a FS - but maybe... Thinking a "compliant" rigid like a Jones maybe? Taking both bikes to Tahoe this weekend - the FS is nice on the rocky stuff - but if I can I'll ride the SS one day for a longer ride.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Both Ways

I ride both bikes. The only reason that I do is because my 29er is a ss. As soon as I get enough $$$ put together I'm going 29er all the way. I just like the feeling I get when I ride a 29er, I'm more confident on a 29er and I think they handle better imo. My 29er is a GF Rig.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
655 Posts
brianthebiker said:
Once you ride a 29er, do you still ride a 26" bike too? Or, once you ride a 29er, do you not look back? I would like to try a GF Cobia, but don't want to if it turns me off to my other bikes. Curious as to the experiences of other people here. Reading the posts from the picture thread, it sounds as though it is a common belief here that a 29er is the only way to go.

TIA
The whole idea of riding is to have fun and enjoy yourself out there on the trails no matter what bike you ride. With that being said, what if you did like your 29er better...so what, your still out there riding. As far as your second inquiry...this is a 29er forum, of course everyone is partial to them. Go to the SS forum and you'll see the same thing or the DH forum. You see what I mean?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Exactly what TTL said.

I have a GF Paragon and a Nomad (among others). It really comes down to different tools for different jobs. Where I live there is mostly very loose, rocky and unforgiving trails. Riding the 29'er HT on it takes lots of skill, focus and acceptance that you probably will get hurt. The Nomad lets me go really fast and be safer...well, until I hit the jumps. I also work up in the Bay Area twice a month where the trails are 95% XC and the GF is a perfect bike, the Nomad makes those trails so boring I might as well ride a road bike.
Personally, I find a 6 inch AM bike and a 29'er HT to be a perfect 2 bike combo. Throw in a cheapo DJ bike for my pumptrack and you're set.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm not one of those guys who are justifying my purchase by saying "great" things about 29ers..
but, when I ride my 26, I feel like I'm on a child's bike..
No looking back.. that's for sure..

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I ride both often as well. I also have a 650b bike and another 29er coming as well. I don't think it makes that much of a difference. There are differences but ultimately it is about the bike... I am 6'5 too so I am serious 29er material, but my single speed of all things and the bike I have the most time on this year is a 26er.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.