Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
sacto said:
I use these.

http://store.airbomb.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=TC1129

I can still wear my regular shoes, for the times I'm doing "BRICK" training. I can also hop off if I happen to be with my kids and want to walk / run / play / etc. They work for me, it will be a long time before I get into anything with a special shoe required.
Yes, mini-clips, my wife and kids use those too. I once switched them all out for clipless pedals, but after a few weeks, they all decided that they wanted their mini-clips back.

Their clipless shoes are now all gathering dust, with their clipless pedals stuffed inside. I am glad that I got them all during a really good sale.

I use clipless myself.

old dude

·
Dented n' Spent
185 Posts
Matches Malone said:
Just wondering. Do they even make them anymore?
Still made, I use 'em, always afraid the They is ganna stop makin em.

I blabbed enough about it (see clipless vs platforms thread) couple days ago so I won't here. I like being able to have a regular pedal to stand on for tech moves, downhill, etc.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Agreed

I wouldn't like the old standard "clip" pedals anymore than the newer clipless ones. With the minis I can still feel fastened in when I want to or I can move my foot back a little bit on the pedal when I feel like it.

I too was concerned that maybe they'd stop selling these, so last month I went over to REI and snagged the three pairs they had hanging on display! :p

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I bought straps at Performance Bike. The straps they sell are thin compared to the old Christophe nylon straps I took off.

I rode that bike this past weekend with my old bike with clips and straps and now know why I ride clipless. With clips and straps I have to reach down to tighten the strap then remember to release them before stopping. Not only that but trying to get the clips to come up correctly where I can get my foot into it is sometimes a PITA. When pedaling hard I have to worry about my feet slipping out of the straps as well.

With clipless, I step on the pedal and I'm in. Twist at my ankle and I'm out. No tightening or loosening of the strap and no hunting for the right side of the pedal.

·
Registered
301 Posts
In my last 24 hour, in our team of six, four were using toe-clips. Probably the only four in the whole event, cause we're a bunch of retro grouches.

I use clipless though, and my 9yo uses toe-clips.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I have them on my roadie/commuter bike. I have gone through two sets of pedals in the last couple years because I keep stripping out the screws that hold the cage to the spindle. Always the right foot on the screw closest to where the ball of my foot is. It must be my Petacchi-like power when I lay down my sprint during the ride home from work.

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
Last time I used clips one of the cranks swung around and the pedal smacked my shin. After bleeding non-stop for a few hours, I decided to get stitches. Then there was the subsequent infection and month long process of taking antibiotics. Yeah, gotta love clips.:rolleyes:

·
Can Tree Member
847 Posts
PCC said:
I rode that bike this past weekend with my old bike with clips and straps and now know why I ride clipless. With clips and straps I have to reach down to tighten the strap then remember to release them before stopping. Not only that but trying to get the clips to come up correctly where I can get my foot into it is sometimes a PITA. When pedaling hard I have to worry about my feet slipping out of the straps as well.
I learned to ride (road) with toe clips and slotted cleats. If you came to a stop and forgot to unstrap, you'd be on the ground flopping like a tuna every time. Getting in was not all that bad when you got the hang of it...no more difficult than getting into clipless pedals today. The pedals have a tab at the back that you flip with your toe...that flips the pedal upright and you slide your foot forward. Sounds harder than it is.

I would not go back, but still use plastic clips and straps on my old rigid mountain bike, which is now the family cruising bike. I leave the straps wide open most of the time and ride in sneakers. I get a little benefit from the clips when open, and can snug them down when one of the kids wants to challenge the old man.

Also, clips and straps are used on track bikes...nothing is more secure. It's common to use two sets of straps to really secure your feet...pulling out at those speeds and rpm's on a fixed bike is a disaster.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Toe clips are wicked old school. I remember swearing by them before SPD came on the scene. I remember specialized made the best plastic toe clips. Compared to clipless they are a totaly pain. Finding the right side of the pedal, geting in, getting out, they pinch your feet, etc...

·
Dented n' Spent
185 Posts
Nat said:
The people who do use toeclips would post pictures of them, but they don't have a digital camera yet.

Ha ha.
Ha ha that's pretty funny. But sheet, if you think toeclips are bad, banging out this message in Morse Code has been a nightmare. My finger is killing me!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.