Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we have a new president who has indicated that being over weight causes over 70% of current medical costs I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Online Weight Loss Programs?

I looked this one up on Google and it seems to have merit but maybe it's just a scam:

http://www.slimamericaweightlossproject.com/fat-farms.html

Sure would be nice if Presiden Obama could come up with something online to help save that 70% of cost and allow people to feel and be healthier.

Maybe MTBR could help get the ball rolling. What do you think Francis?

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
traildoc said:
Since we have a new president who has indicated that being over weight causes over 70% of current medical costs I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Online Weight Loss Programs?

I looked this one up on Google and it seems to have merit but maybe it's just a scam:

http://www.slimamericaweightlossproject.com/fat-farms.html

Sure would be nice if Presiden Obama could come up with something online to help save that 70% of cost and allow people to feel and be healthier.

Maybe MTBR could help get the ball rolling. What do you think Francis?
Assuming this is a serious post, no program of any sort is going to help anyone if they lack the will power. The program will only take your money.

With that said, here is my $70 million program.
1a. don't eat fast food or junk food
1b. do eat lots of fruits and veggies, and whole grain breads
2. cut alcohol out of your diet (yeah, sorry about this one)
3. avoid animal based foods, such as meat, cheese, eggs....
4. don't stuff your face at ever meal (this is the hard one for me)
5. read a book called The China Study
6. get exercise as much as possible
7. when parking your car, park in the farthest away spot you can find
8. most importantly, you have to stick with it. This is where the will power comes into play.

My brother has done all of the above, and lost 60lbs in a year. He almost weighs as much as I do now. His health has improved dramatically, and he feels waaaaaay better. He even got a bike and rides it to work now when he can. If you were to ever meet him and ask him about it, he'll talk your ear off about how much better his life is now.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Just adding 4a, 9, and 10 to dan51's comments:

4a. Don't eat 3 large meals. Break your intake up into 5 smaller meals. Keeps you feeling full throughout the day and helps cut cravings.
9. Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Helps keep you feeling satisfied and aids in proper digestion. Always drink a small glass before any meal.
10. Do NOT substitute soda's with diet soda -- just ditch soda completely. There are studies linking artificial sweeteners to increased weight gain and obesity.

Most "diets" are crap -- just use common sense. The only way to lose weight is cut caloric intake, eat healthy calories rather than empty calories (soda, fast food, etc) and exercise.

To help you in the process keep a daily log of ~everything~ you eat -- I mean everything. You will be surprised at how much junk you eat during the day. My biggest problem was the little bite-sized candy that ppl in the office kept in big jars for ppl to snack on. Adding them up would equal like 2 candy bars a day! Just this alone is around 800 empty calories that are loaded with saturated fat.

·
bike buster
1,196 Posts
You too? Man... I can't leave that candy dish in the front office alone. The worst thing is, it's always full! It's gotten to where I walk by it and grab some chocolate out of habit.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
dan51 said:
Assuming this is a serious post, no program of any sort is going to help anyone if they lack the will power. The program will only take your money.

8. most importantly, you have to stick with it. This is where the will power comes into play.

My brother has done all of the above, and lost 60lbs in a year. He almost weighs as much as I do now. His health has improved dramatically, and he feels waaaaaay better. He even got a bike and rides it to work now when he can. If you were to ever meet him and ask him about it, he'll talk your ear off about how much better his life is now.
In the last half of 06 and first half of 07, I dropped 30 lbs. After breaking my leg in July of 07, I gained 40. Since February of 08, I'm down almost 50 lbs (under 200 :D :D).

I didn't do anything special. I don't eat fast food, but I do eat cookies. I eat red meat a lot, because it's good. I do eat a lot of vegetables and salads. I eat low-fat or 'light' versions of most foods, especially mayo, sour cream, etc.

That all helped. The number one thing I did: find something I love doing that is also exercise. Riding my bike a couple times a week maintains my weight, and in spring/summer/fall, when I ride 4-6 times per week I can't help but lose weight, regardless of what or how much I'm eating.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Another really helpful thing is to eat only when you are hungry, not when you're just bored. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference... And serve yourself smaller portions with the option of getting more if you're really still hungry.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dan51 said:

51:

Great Reply. I really hope President Obama is able to give one of his inspiring speeches to help motivate people to take the steps that your brother seems to have taken. That being said, will just an inspirational speech turn this major problem around? Other than an inspirational speech what other steps does he have to take to help give people the will power needed to make the changes you enumerated in your post?

Would a free government online weight loss program help those people who have decided to finally feel waaaaaay better? Is there a way that MTBR could be part of the process?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Oh Spare Me

traildoc said:
51:

Great Reply. I really hope President Obama is able to give one of his inspiring speeches to help motivate people to take the steps that your brother seems to have taken. That being said, will just an inspirational speech turn this major problem around? Other than an inspirational speech what other steps does he have to take to help give people the will power needed to make the changes you enumerated in your post?

Would a free government online weight loss program help those people who have decided to finally feel waaaaaay better? Is there a way that MTBR could be part of the process?
Spare Me! There is a degree of learned helplessness in this concept I find off-putting at best. I neither need, nor want my president to "inspire" me to be responsible for my own well being. The inverse of this idea being, is it then somehow Obama's fault if the general populace remains corpulent? Frankly, I think and "hope" the man [not messiah] has better things to with his time.
Nor do I want a "free" [for whom? Someone pays for government {hint - me and you}] incentive program to motivate others to be responsible for themselves. I'm not asking anyone to be responsible for my weight or lifestyle, and I can't imagine doing the same to someone else.
What absolute folly trying to [dis]incentivise human behavior legislatively. It doesn't work with smoking, drinking,drugs, abortion, sexual preference, poaching closed trails [sob - GUILTY] etc., etc. Why in the world would it work for FAT?
Real change comes from within, not a speech, or a government handout [from my pocket].

·
sure...follow me
104 Posts
Traildoc: If you read a coupla books by Michael Pollan (The Omnivores Dilemna and In Defense of Food) you would learn not to trust any dietary advice put out by the government, that the government and Congress are in a large part responsible for getting us into this mess. We partly, maybe mostly, got ourselves into this mess (50% of the nation being overweight) but we had a LOT of help.

·
pro leisure tour
773 Posts
1- eat sensible foods (see posts above)

2- it is OK to be hungry (get used to it)

3- burn more calories than you consume (thats where the bike comes in)

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
traildoc said:

Ya, thats just what we need, another government program to throw money at with no end in sight.:skep:
Just like the war on poverty. Thats really worked well.
There will always be fat people, just like we will always have the poor.:rolleyes:
Why would anybody be so inspired by a speech from 'The Messiah' that they would be willing to drastically alter their life style? If weight loss is that important to people, they aren't going to wait for an inspirtional speech or government program to do it. They will do it on their own. If they are using a speech or government program as their inspiration, its just going to be a crutch, that will eventually fail. And they will never get the results they are looking for.
I can see how a government program will work now:
After ten years and billions of dollars, we still have obese people in America. We must throw more money into the program to make it work better.
After twenty years and billions more dollars, we still have obese people in America. Obviously we need to put more money into the program.
After fifty years and trillions of dollars, we still have obese people in America. If we just had more money in this program, America would be thin.:rolleyes:
Its worked so well with the welfare system. Why not a national war on obesity?

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rsquared28 said:
Ya, thats just what we need, another government program to throw money at with no end in sight.:skep:
Just like the war on poverty. Thats really worked well.
There will always be fat people, just like we will always have the poor.:rolleyes:
Why would anybody be so inspired by a speech from 'The Messiah' that they would be willing to drastically alter their life style? If weight loss is that important to people, they aren't going to wait for an inspirtional speech or government program to do it. They will do it on their own. If they are using a speech or government program as their inspiration, its just going to be a crutch, that will eventually fail. And they will never get the results they are looking for.
I can see how a government program will work now:
After ten years and billions of dollars, we still have obese people in America. We must throw more money into the program to make it work better.
After twenty years and billions more dollars, we still have obese people in America. Obviously we need to put more money into the program.
After fifty years and trillions of dollars, we still have obese people in America. If we just had more money in this program, America would be thin.:rolleyes:
Its worked so well with the welfare system. Why not a national war on obesity?
I would think an online weight loss program would cost a lot less than what you are describing. The online program I looked at only costs about $100 per person.

I was hoping since over 80% of the people who could benefit from this program believe in what President Obama says in his inspirational speeches maybe he could get 10% of them to actually change there eating habits to make them healthier. What is more important to an unhealthy person than their health?

Seems like the health savings costs would far out weigh the cost of the program.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Here is my story that was in gym's monthly newsletter. You don't have to cut out meats at all in fact turkey and chicken are real healthy for you. You can have meat just make sure it is real lean cut. You probably can't read it but I lost 100lbs after having 2 knee surgery's. In April 07 I weighed 265 and that was shortly after being on crutches for 6 months. I joined the gym in oct 07 at 242 and by july 08 I reached my goal weight of 165

Attachments

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Hellrazor666 said:
Here is my story that was in gym's monthly newsletter. You don't have to cut out meats at all in fact turkey and chicken are real healthy for you. You can have meat just make sure it is real lean cut. You probably can't read it but I lost 100lbs after having 2 knee surgery's. In April 07 I weighed 265 and that was shortly after being on crutches for 6 months. I joined the gym in oct 07 at 242 and by july 08 I reached my goal weight of 165
Wow, congrats! That's quite an improvement. Nice comeback.

I've got to disagree with the "in fact turkey and chicken are real healthy for you" statement. I'm still waiting to find any book or article that actually has evidence proving any kind of meat is good for your health. The closet thing I have found is an article stating only meat contains vitamin B12. The whole type of protein argument is weak too. I find lots of things saying meat is not healthy for you though.... It might be healthy for your spirit since it's so yummy.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well what builds muscle??? protein which meats have a lot of. What burns fat ??? muscle. Lifting weights burns more calories in a day then any cardio does. Lifting will burn calories all day where cardio stops after about 45 mins. So the more muscle you can build the more you will burn. Plus in weight loss you loose muscle so to help maintain the loss you need protein to help build it. Sure you don't eat meat all the time but you don't have to cut it out completely. By cutting out stuff completely is just setting yourself up for a setback when you do have it. There are good and bad proteins you just have to know which ones to eat and the same thing goes for carbs also .Everything revolves in moderation and that is the key to weight loss.

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
I havent had any meat in my entire life but still find lots of protein. Not always easy but you get used to it.

Back on subject, I agree that "online weight loss program" sounds rather strange. I mean, you can create a program and log your eating and workouts both offline and online, so this thread really is a big stinking pile of joke if you ask me.

I'd like to get down to 165 lbs myself, but dammit, cheese is good!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Most weight loss programs are set ups for failure because they don't look at long term aspect. It is about a life time change not the quick easy fix. They are many keys to weight loss #1 being the will to want to change #2 moderation #3 counting calories #4 exercise #5 balanced diet

1 - 20 of 62 Posts