Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found a bar/stem combo that works perfect on my single speed, with the exception of the bars being slightly too narrow. I'm wondering if lock on grips have a full length hard sleeve inside them that would allow the ends to hang out slightly past the ends of the handlebar, effectively making it feel a bit wider. Just curious how they are constructed, I haven't handled a pair off a bike. Thanks.

·
Registered
666 Posts
They have a hard inner sleeve of some type; however, if they hung off the outside of the bar, then only one side is clamped to the handlebar and they are not made to work that way.

What you are thinking Seems like an accident waiting to happen........

·
gobsmacked
8,757 Posts
It's barely safe when people apply a sleeve at the end of short bars. But the locking part actually clamps down at the ends of each end. So, effectively, your idea would have it clamping down on nothing on one side. What you are proposing is downright dangerous. Get a new bar.

Edit: same as above. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, I didn't realize they worked that way. I was picturing a clamp on the inside end and presumably a hard aluminum tube barely larger than the bar running up the middle. I was imagining them similar to a motorcycle throttle tube if that makes sense. I don't mind getting a wider bar, I'm just having trouble finding on that will feel right.

I was thinking about widening the bars 1" on either side, so the thumb/index finger grip that controls the bike would still be well withing the width of the original handlebar, it would be the outside heel of the palm resting on the extended lock on grip. However if they won't clamp securely using only the inner band, it would be problematic to have the grip slide off the end of the bar!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts