Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time installing a Dual Crown fork. Should I have the shop cut the steerer tube, insert the star nut, and press the crown race and have myself install it, or should I just let the shop do the whole thing? (As in install it on my rig) I've installed lots of Single Crowns....is the dual any different minus the top crown?

Is there any special precautions I should take?

Any comments or suggestions would be nice, I just wanna make sure I don't run into trouble.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Raptordude said:
This is my first time installing a Dual Crown fork. Should I have the shop cut the steerer tube, insert the star nut, and press the crown race and have myself install it, or should I just let the shop do the whole thing? (As in install it on my rig) I've installed lots of Single Crowns....is the dual any different minus the top crown?

Is there any special precautions I should take?

Any comments or suggestions would be nice, I just wanna make sure I don't run into trouble.
i'd ask them to do all the preparations and then ask how to install it yourself and ask for pointers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is no difference besides the top crown. So take into account that the top crown will take up space on the steerer, but that is a given. You shouldn't have any problem if you have installed other forks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
dual crown forks are easy to install. i would have your lbs install the star nut if you dont have the tool to do it. the race i installed my self in kinda a getto way. i just lightly taped around the race with a hammer making sure not to damage it but you can also have your lbs do it too while there doing the star nut. as for cutting the steer tube you can do that your self with a pipe cutter or a hacksaw just make sure you have enough room to add a couple of spacers so that you can get the topcap on there tight but make sure its not too tight or youll rip the starnut out. it isnt much differnet then installing a single crown fork so you should have no problem doing it. i did it for the frist time by myself about 3 month ago and it was a snap. good luck and hope this helps Brandon

G

·
as for installing it, its the same idea as a single crown, but you slide on the top crown too...make sure your bolts are all loosened on the crown, and use a tourque wrench for the crown bolts!

steertube cutting is not too hard...

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Just make sure that you tighten the starnut or headlock before you tighten the bolts on the crown. :p ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.